First Activation - Strawberry Peak

SOTA Activation, W6/CT-086 Strawberry Peak, San Bernardino National Forest

I completed my first SOTA activation on Strawberry Peak in Southern California this past weekend. I started with an easy peak as this is mostly a drive-up. I did walk over to the peak and then set up approximately 100’ away. My station consisted of my Kenwood TH-D72 with a roll-up J-Pole antenna. I made 6 contacts quickly on 146.52. This will be the first of many activations for me this year. Next peak, this weekend, I will set up my HF station and got on 20 & 40.

73 K6SUD

8 Likes

Congratulations on completing your first activation. Welcome to a great part of the ham radio hobby! I think after a few mountaintop HF contacts to far away places, you will be hooked!

Ron - K6CPR

I wanted to make activation in that area last weekend, but California Department of Transportation states that road is closed. How did you go to Strawberry Peak?
IS CLOSED FROM 14 MI EAST OF LA CANADA-FLINTRIDGE TO 18.1 MI EAST OF
LA CANADA (LOS ANGELES CO) - DUE TO SLIDE REMOVAL - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO
USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

Are you looking at the same Strawberry Peak? There are at least 2 in the CT region.

The Strawberry Peak you are referring to is in the Angeles National Forest. The one I went is in the San Bernardino National Forest.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks! I did not know that there are 2 Strawberry Peaks at W6/CT-xxx.

1 Like