First activation of a brand new OH-summit this eve

Hi all!

Antti, OH6FME and I, OH6FQI are preparing for our first activation today. As the new summits in Finland are now available, we now have some summits near our hometown Jyväskylä. Previously, the closest SOTA summit was at least 200 km away.

Our target is Kanavuori (literally “Chicken mountain”), OH/JS-057, which is near Vaajakoski, an old industrial village. I’m tarvelling to the root of the hill by bike and the final ascent will be on foot.

We’re attempting local contacts on 145 MHz FM as well as longer contacts on 14 MHz SSB and CW. I’m afraid my CW is a bit rusty and I have little experience with pileups, but try to bare with me. Antti will try the SSB part.

We aim to be QRV at 14:15 UTC. You can follow our progress with APRS at aprs.fi - live APRS map and I’ll try to inform about possible frequency changes by APRS as well.

Jaakko, OH6FQI

In reply to OH6FQI:

Good luck with the activation. I’ll be very interested to see a report on this; I’m likely to be coming to Jyväskylä fairly regularly (I was last there a couple of weeks ago) and the summit looks like it is reasonably easy to get to from town.

Matt G7GCR

In reply to G7GCR:

Thanks. We’ll take some photos. I’ve never been to the summit, but I hear there is a nice view over Vaajakoski. Local busses pass the hill nearby and there are footpaths, so is is easily accessible.

Jaakko, OH6FQI

In reply to OH6FQI:

Hi,

Sorry I missed this one. I did not have internet since last Sunday. I hope you managed some QSOs from OH/JS-057. Too many mosquitoes for me here. From Puijo OH/JS-030 on Tuesday evening some reports (HB9) were 229, so the QRP is not always so easy.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Tnx for the summit Antti,pleasure to work you for the first time.Hope to hear you on many more.73 Don G0RQL.