First activation ever in VE7 today

Denis is activatig a VE7 summit around 2100 UTC.

This is the very first activation of a VE7 summit. See VE7/VA2IEI/P alert’s for more info.

Other summits may be activated this week, depending circumstances.

Excellent result. A Japanese station gave Denis a 5 by 7 report. Nothing but open ocean between the two. Was a fortuitously placed ski lift employed in getting part way to the summit of Mt. Tom in British Columbia?

Thanks to VA2-Summit Guru for the tip.

Elliott, K6ILM

In reply to K6ILM:

LOL!

Thanks!

I don’t know if they took the chairlift but do know they got down the mountain on snowboards. Those lucky guys!

In reply to K6ILM:

LOL!

Thanks!

I don’t know if they took the chairlift but do know they got down the mountain on snowboards. Those lucky guys!

I knew about the usual risks of summit scaling, but snowboarding didn’t exactly spring to mind. Springing mountain lions, maybe.

Elliott, K6ILM

Well nuts! Denis beat me to it.

I’m planning on activating 4 summits in my region this summer.

We really need to add some accessible summits to the BC list, though. Every single valid summit in my region is well above tree line, requiring at least a full day of climbing and if operating is a priority, a full weekend. At least 3 of them require serious mountaineering skills.

Contrast this with some European summits that require a 300m jaunt up a grassy slope for 10 points!

Nathon VE7ETS

In reply to VE7ETS:

Sounds as if we have a volunteer topographer. Can you do it in 2 months, Nathon?

Elliott, K6ILM
Chaser Clown

In reply to VE7ETS:
Very fine.

Contact VE7CQY, see what can be done.

There are computerized ways to find out qualifying summits. Yes it works is involved, but once done, just fun.

In reply to VA2SG:

I’ve tried to contact VE7CQY and haven’t had any luck, yet. His listed phone number in Kelowna is disconnected and I get no reply to the email address given. Perhaps he’s a snowbird?

I recognize and applaud the effort that went into creating the VE7 SOTA list. This is one of the greatest things to happen to ham radio. I can’t wait to get involved!

Having summits like Mt. Assiniboine in the list is great. What a challenge! In my particular region (EK), we certainly do not lack majestic mountains. However, it would be nice to have a few of the less challenging ones on the list so we can participate without making it a once-in-a-lifetime Expedition.

I can think of 5 popular hiking summits in my area that are not represented. What’s involved in ‘certifying’ a new summit?

Nathon
VE7ETS

In reply to VE7ETS (VE7-Evaluating Trouble Summits)

Nathon, I see several possible new phone numbers, but can’t find any email address for you. I believe CQY’s middle initial is “N”, and there are listings for such a person in Cobble Hill, 205-743-xxxx or 764-xxxx. There is another guy with the identical middle initial in Calgary, 403-202-xxxx. Can you email me at my QRZ.com address so I can give you these numbers? I also emailed CQY and am waiting for a response.

Elliott, K6ILM
Chaser Clown

In reply to VE7ETS:

Nathon, the MT limit Associations to one revision per year because of the workload that further revisions entail would slow down the addition of new Associations, so I suggest that any revision should be as thorough as possible! For new summits we need the position (signed decimal lat and long) the height and the prominence, the source of the data and a name for the summit, and it would help if the highest col is identified. If you want to have a go, talk to Jim, G0CQK, who might be able to point you to reliable data sources.

Many Associations begin with a “starter list” and later fill in the missing summits, so that they can be “up and running” more quickly.

Brian G8ADD

The Canadian Mountain Encyclopedia http://bivouac.com/ is a valuable source of data for the whole of Canada, not just BC, as it lists summits of all sizes.

Do not underestimate the size of the task to create a complete list of SOTA summits in BC. As a self-training exercise a few years ago, I ran a Landserf http://gcmd.nasa.gov/records/LANDSERF.html analysis for just Vancouver Island. It found around 1100 summits with a prominence of 150m or greater!

Good luck with the task!

BTW, has anybody thought of creating a VE6 SOTA Association?

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to VE7ETS:

Nathon

Jim G0CQK is the wizzard. He gave us big help for our next summit list, that should go online april 1st if all is fine.

I am sure CQY would not mind if you begin something, despite, I cannot speak for him.

Send me an email. See QRZ for my email, I’ll tell you where CQY probably is. Don’t know if this will help, but who knows?

Wow.

I’m completely humbled by all the knowledgable, courteous and helpful responses to my ignorant first queries. I definately want to be part of the SOTA VE7 effort, but obviously I have a lot to learn. Please be patient with me while I attempt to get up to speed.

Elliott, K6ILM: I’ll contact you off-list for those phone numbers.

Brian, G8ADD: I’m willing to do a ‘thorough’ review for my region: VE7-EK. The rest of the province will have to fall to others. I’ll certainly talk to G0CQK.

Les, G3VQO: If Vancouver Island has 1100 summits, VE7-EK must have 10-times that number! There are two major mountain ranges on either side of my valley: the Purcells and the Rockies. And then there’s little disconnected 7,000 foot ‘lumps’ like the one that begins in my backyard (I fib not.) Considering the number of hams in my region, I think some ‘cherry-picking’ is in order; a range of summits for all abilities, including some family-friendly ones.

VE6-land contains the most spectacular mountains in Canada: Jasper and Banff parks. We do need someone to come on board from Southern Alberta. I could help with some of it, since I live close to the border.

VA2SG: I’ll email you off-list. Thanks.

thanks to all! 73

Nathon

In reply to VE7ETS:

Central Oregon is the same way. CM-001 through CM-005 are all pretty much inaccessible except by those with extreme mountaineering skills or for a few months out of the summer once the snow melts above 10,000 ft. Even then Middle and North require some technical skills due to glaciation. I saw BC tellie skiers on a ridge up broken Top (CM-005 I believe) last weekend, but they were a good 700-1000ft below the summit (Visible if you look closely at the saddle far left: http://dione.net/gallery/brktopski2012/SAM_0915.jpg). Getting to the base is no problem though.

Cheers,
AE7IK.

In reply to AE7IK:

Sorry, I should clarify that as W7/CM-004 - Broken top.