Finding a battery in the UK ***#!

You could jump start the universe with some of those! :wink:

2 Likes

Tom are you using the 7m sotabeams pole or the Tactical Mini. If it is the 7m version is it a pain to carry? Thanks

73s Martin

Yes, the 7m SOTA Pole. No, it’s easy to carry.

1 Like

Thanks ordered!

1 Like

Here you have the configurator (in English) of various packages. Maybe the delivery will be faster than march '21:

https://www.bto.pl/konfigurator/krok1.aspx

1 Like

189966 I think I am going to try one of these https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-4s1p-14-8v-20c-hardcase-pack-1.html
Any thoughts. The radio Xiegu G90 Operating voltage range: 12 ~ 15V DC
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Thanks Martin

Yes, there are several hundred posts on here from all the people who have had to solve this problem before.

Click the search icon (ringed in red in the image below) up top right of the screen and you can enter terms like LiFePO or LiPO or dropper or battery etc. and read all the posts where this subject has been discussed.

search

If you buy this you will need something to get the voltage down to the safe level for your radio until the voltage collapses as the pack discharges. Again lots of discussion on how to do this already exists on here.

I wouldn’t buy a big LiPO again. That ship sailed years back and LiFePO is what you want especially as they are intrinsically safer. Yes, you can’t get the one you want now but you can’t really get out and use it now and probably wont be able to for the next 6-8weeks at least and stock / shipping issues may well be resolved by then.

1 Like

The problem with the search function is that it shows what was available at ‘that’ time. In the UK what ever I do is not going to be the perfect solution. In addition from a lot of retailers it does not look like there will be a solution before March at the earliest.

1 Like

Martin, on the begining u can start with standard 12v battery from screfix, toolstation etc. They maybe not to smallest and light but will do the job. Plus od it, you can bay it now.
The pole u can order from ebay (flag pole), they are similar to sota ones :slightly_smiling_face:
With time u can upgrade yours equipment for better .
I start with Sealed Lead-Acid Battery 12V 7.0Ah and i still use it. Have also smaler ones :slight_smile:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-7-0ah/38315

Pole i use is simple 8m flag telescopic mast, delivery in few days. Its 114cm long unfolded…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brookite-Telescopic-Windsock-Flag-Pole-Ground-Stake-Festival-Camping-Caravan/112047242877?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a16893e7d:g:49cAAOSw-K9ZGadz&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkAgU0umhwUTmgTFbE5cu7zVyEHrGp9iI1t%252B4mKpAT0vQqTwQVuL8eV6o1aAIOuXG0BVCG3f%252BoD5sUxn3Zn3QQrsbVOFe27rvBkoKDmxQ8M3XQacPvS4zipaDbram1HxFWeB0st6sfmnVNj58m2Gdwq6R21VVvfciWfGIocpQ5gtQmjgcV%252Bejd4fb%252BrcbI9NAR%252BX1GWFMBQTO8%252BwZPlJn07Ir0QvYzD%252FT9nRYQs5LE%252FS0iHJ15vShzoWyaxsGN9i%252F1nSX8jWjyYgkIGc7zJ%252BF%252BKarPWyxb0FThEJYQIIU2Lusr%252FittSFYKCM7B0s4e6aLBxPq131A8zTcCPqlESXNKhfsoH%252FEQdFLlPSps2HGHqerZtmX90XWn02PiEkdR5OmK1O0jl0FmhIFPWAqY4kHNsFqK636PfEjHg3S0XDQ75ckVllKjtNTtgmQuTziAYLNfSzk4jSpNMm%252B4TfXd8vAztw4wPqBdHUVV%252BPUyKsUTZHk3bn095O8Wpi4v1%252FD7bZyg8YOEUXsxeCgq6P0lKqbQUOdhuKm6%252FjFH1TWvJNIJZNJcoIJfZ%252BC%252Bo5NJdoO%252BXbIY7IuhkDYK7QPjt2YlDoXLamPPkzN9XmYLhGaKmsJrGTWq7YL4xauGv7L2%252BRmGA7QHxLWk9UTVq%252B6w4UyTm%252FxISAO%252FqcC9F%252FTf4UIWJrlHY47cv5TlNCIxzbbt0U0C6P42%252FOBg2f01wdzH5NYSaC7%252Bq%252B1x0mKZNteKjBlS5BNI9aAx9ttOMxAqfGuXKGOutDAY9RYvBjwUIk2WW%252BtFuaMnZA%253D%253D|cksum%3A1120472428775abe39d08710438db5501064cf23775d|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Also thinking aboud upgrade for smaler and lighter but all with time. Will get it some day till then i use whot i have and gives me plesure and fun.

1 Like

Take a look at lifesabreeze.co.uk for a possible pole. I use their 6 metre travel pole, so does my friend, Rolf HB9DGV on his many activations.

For a battery, I normally use a 2200mAh LiPo (old hat now?) but as a “make do” till your choice comes into stock again, do you have any NiMHd cells? I use 10x AA cells in 2 lengths of 25mm ‘overflow pipe’ with copper plumbing ‘end stops’ as end caps with wires soldered to these.
Works for my K1 or KX3, or I use a shorter version with 8x AA cells for my MTR5b.
I can send pictures if anyone is interested, and its a scheme that would work with old computer-cells too. As Andy says, you can’t do much right now anyway, till CV19 quietens down. Les g0nmd

1 Like

Hi Martin,
You have found the hardcase battery units that I actually use. Do bot run these into the G90 without some form of voltage reduction. If these are back in stock, I suggest you also buy one of these to reduce the voltage for you - they seem to be RF quiet.
Quanum DC Field & Car Charger for DJI Phantom 2 Battery (hobbyking.com)
And a bargain at the price - I bought three, just to get the cases! (Only available from Hong Kong though).

Tested one - works fine with my X108G (the predecessor to the G90).

The problem is with 4S LIPO batteries is when they are fully charged they are 16.7 Volts and thats too much for radio gear that expects 13.8V.

73 Ed.
P.S. A good balanced charger for LIPO and LifePO is the IMAX B6
IMAX B6 DC Charger 5A 50W (Copy) (hobbyking.com)
P.P.S. I thought those 7m FG masts were out of stock at SOTABeams?

1 Like

I use LiitoKala battery packs from the friendly Chinese in the Internet. I have two types, 4S with 14.8V nominal and 3S with 12V nominal. The open circuit voltage of the 4S package is higher than 15V, but my radio (also a G90) copes with it (the manual says max16.5V). YMMV.
Battery management is included, preventing overloading and depletion. The only drawback is that the battery shuts off immediately without warning, which is nasty right in the middle of a QSO.

As for a mast, the SOTAbeams 7000 hds (heavy duty ?stuff?) is very sturdy. A little on the heavy side, but very though.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

Lots of us do use them, a fine product but they are out of stock at present.

Thanks I have sorted the Pole the 7m seems to be in stock at Sotabeams.

1 Like

Thanks Ed, that is an amazing price for the battery reducer (shame about the shipping)! just ordered three! I have a charger thanks. I fly drones as well.

73s Martin

Yes, shipping cost sucks - I thought you might be buying the Hardcase LIPO at the same time from Hobby King Hong Kong and hence combined shipping might reduce the pain a little - but as the price for the battery is the same from the UK or HK warehouses, shipping for the battery is obviously better from the UK warehouse (it’ll be cheaper and you won’t have any border control points blocking the transport of lithium batteries then).

73 Ed.

Yes the battery is shipping from the UK. Those Phantom chargers are still a bargain though! Thanks for all your help!

I had a SOTA beams pole - Collapsed it was rather too long to fit into the rucksack - so I used it strapped to the outside. Not ideal - Someone then suggested lifesabreeze.co.uk and I found a 13ft or 16ft (I think) one which collapsed to less than 2ft and fits into my rucksack. I cut the last section off as its too delicate. I use a SOTA beams linked dipole with it and have had absolutely NO problems getting QSOs with it on the hill, including the USA!.

Like you I struggled a little with batteries at the start. I got and used for quite a while 12v, 2amp SLAB batteries. I got a couple of these batteries Security measure (I can’t do a proper link but they are 2amp 12v LiPO at 18 euro, incuding charger) from Ireland later on . They took a week or two to arrive though.

There’s some good info on this thread in reply to a similiar question I asked when I started SOTA Which of these batteries? (please) and I managed to go with a couple of the suggestions but as you now note UK lipo and/or li-0n are harder to get now

David.

Read the datasheet and note the fundamental switching frequency, 2nd, particularly third harmonic of which it is designed to run at :ok_man: Make sure it runs in continuous mode

Did it cost £5 17s. 6d ?

Sorry David, I think you’re only about 12years older than me but 13ft is an absolutely meaningless measurement now. Though in a few minutes with the ending of a 47year “marriage” maybe we’ll hear they’re going to “take back control of our currency” by scrapping decimalisation? :slight_smile:

1 Like