Favourite SOTA Picture Part 1

Enjoying seeing all the pics!
My favourite recently was activating gw/sw00-1 and then overnighting on gw/sw-004 with my son. 14 points each :slight_smile:
73 G0MFR

12 Likes

Paul W6PNG/M0SNA takes a drink HB/GR-102

8 Likes

My operating position on Megas Sworos SV/IO-001 came with a lovely view.

8 Likes

Antenna and views from the summit of Mt Peñablanca EA5/CS-037

9 Likes

Set up at the summit of Santa Fe Baldy on a beautiful NM summer day. Picture taken by my oldest daughter Laura.

7 Likes

Elk Mountain, W7M/FN-110, Glacier National Park. Speaking of calendars, I submitted photo for NPOTA that year and became 'Mr. November" ARRL calendar. Also, was cover photo for the ARRL report that year!

13 Likes

My favorite picture - with my 7th harmonic - my youngest - on W6/CC-069 San Onofre Mountain, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton, CA. I’ve done this peak a couple times now, long before SOTA, but I’ll save those stories for a chance over a couple of cold 807’s. Suffice it to say, doing it for a SOTA was a lot more fun! :wink:

Just below the peak, going back down towards Camp Horno, is the 1st Marines memorial. Please stop and take a moment to take it in! Tread Lightly and pay your respect…73, Todd KH2TJ, Sgt USMC

8 Likes

G/WB-012 - High Vinnals

G8XYJ Mountain Goat Activation

1000 points done, all on VHF and UHF (All 5 bands covered 6m, 4m, 2m, 70cm and 23cm)

Most left GW4BVE who is a long term friend, then it is 2E0BTR Geoff who I have done most of my activations with and then we have M0MYA Dave who is Geoff’s son and I have also done quite a fair few activations with!

Beer drank is Ludlow Gold from my home town brewery

This is the hill I started on in 2010 and by September 2015 this was the hill I had gained MG on! Plus it is my most local hill at about 3 miles (as the crow flies) from my house)

4th QSO was my father G4OYX, so a very nice day! QSOs on 2m SSB, 4m FM and 23cm FM (some of my main modes)

I even made a cake to celebrate the occasion that Dave M0MYA carried all the way to the top!

12 Likes

Winter activations in England. 2 points for the walk, 3 points for the view :wink:

G/SP-003

7 Likes

We have that view in parts of Australia at the moment. But it isn’t cloud, it’s smoke and somewhat darker than cloud.

1 Like

These are my images.
Mulhacen EA7/GR-001, the highest peak of the Iberian Peninsula Spain (3482 m).

12 Likes

I have too many pictures to pick just one. This one from Iceland last year ranks quite high on the list:

But then again, I quite like this view of the Obersteiermark from the Hochlantsch that I took last Thursday:

73 de OE6FEG
               Matt
9 Likes

My favorite would be this from an overnight trip LA/BU-093 Raudsteinsvarden. The view around was amazing, with a lot of colors and a very wide view of the sorrounding hills and mountains in the core of Norway.

12 Likes

I have a lot of favorite SOTA pictures, but here are a couple of recent ones that I really like. Mt San Jacinto and Black Hill.

8 Likes

On New Year’s Eve 2010 I went up Snowdon GW/SW-001for my 4th activation and the first on my own as M0JLA had sprained his ankle. I walked up from Peny y Pas (with many other people around) and was soon engulfed in cloud and found the ground icier than expected. On went some small spikes and I went up to the top and had a very successful activation - but rather cold. As I was thinking of leaving, the sun started to appear as the cloud dropped

As I waited the top of the cloud became visible - along with the nearby summit of Crib y Ddysgl (and some rather surprised walkers!)

but the best was to follow as I then spent at least half an hour trying to get the Brocken spectre on the top of the cloud in the best position with Crib y Ddysgl in the background.

This is a rare sight in this country and I have never had one last for such a long time and I stayed rather later than I should have on the top and then had to get down the icy path to Llanberris rather quickly before it got dark. A never to be forgotten sight.

Viki M6BWA

25 Likes

What a shot! That’s rather special! Thanks

Ah @M6BWA Viki, I wondered when someone would post a Brocken spectre and trump the rest of us, but as you are such a legend, and have clearly done enough summits to deserve seeing one, I’ll let you off. Awesome photos!

I have many photos in the Lake District with snow on the tops that look lovely, but I had this photo of St Sunday Crag G/LD-010 which was a computer backdrop for a long time and was the first one I though of. Taken from Fairfield G/LD-007. Clear blue skies in the Lake District aren’t that common! The outline of a walker is just visible on the second crest from the left, giving some scale.

9 Likes

I love this! Not sure I’m ever going to make into a calendar however!

1 Like

It could spawn a whole new thread of SOTAists featuring imaginative ways of carrying their kit!

I think I’d rather stick to the views :woozy_face:. There are some exceptional photographs here and (of course) each probably holds special memories for the photographer irrespective of their artistic merit.

Good thread Jordan!

2 Likes

My favorite has been taken at HB/TI-131

73 de hb9fvk

5 Likes