Fan Nedd and Fan Gyhirych - GW/SW-007 & 006

Tuesday 14th April 2015.

With the high pressure well established, it could only mean one thing.
A day out in South Wales.
The 2 summits of Fan Nedd and Fan Gyhirych were missed during the WB period, and as they form a nice 8 mile loop, they were the ideal candidate for today’s activation.

As forecast, the early morning cloud was still hanging over the tops of both summits as I started my ascent.

It was beginning to clear as I got to the first cairn on Fan Nedd.

and then it dispersed leaving clear blue skies :smile:

It may have been clear and sunny but there was a fresh cold wind blowing at the summit.
I was very glad of my little tarp, as I could sit out of the wind and in the sun with just shorts and T shirt.

First contact was a S2S with OE5EIN/p and that started the run of 56 QSO’s including a further 4 S2Ss which included yet another new EA6 one, courtesy of Jürg EA6/HB9BIN.
Condx were very good with several of the regular US chasers making it into the log.

Out of the wind, heading for Fan Gyhirych, it was positively summer like.

That’s when I met this. It’s not every day you see a JCB being pulled by a tractor on a dirt road at 700m.
It’s even rarer to see the driver eating a plate of sausage and mash…

There was absolutely no shelter on Fan Gyhirych and the wind had really piped up.
The tarp once again came into it’s own, but even with that I was forced to put on a top over my T shirt!

Again, contacts came easily, with 57 in the bag this time around but just the two S2S.

A nice walk back, contouring around Fan Nedd on a pleasant little hanging track, and back into full summer kit.

Back home before dark - nice!
113 QSO’s
7xS2S
10 points
Walked 7.8 miles
Drove 166 miles :weary:
Now to transcribe the log…

Thanks to all the chasers.

6 Likes