F4WBN - 60K SOTA pts and more... (Part 2)

Christian congratulations! Currently your my top chaser, amazing. You should see the look on non ham radio people when they realize we’re talking to France from the USA on portable qrp power.

Thanks for the chases!

4 Likes

Congratulations Christian.

One of my favourite radio stories is having a QSO with Christian when I was using a Mountain Topper but had forgotten to plug the antenna in, so he got me on 2 feet of coax lying on the ground.

Cheers, Mark.

5 Likes

Chris,

It is always a joy to hear you calling when I am activating a summit! You are often louder than the US chasers! When I have you in my log, I know it has been a good day on the mountain!

73 de K9PM Paul

3 Likes

Congratulations Christian.

well deserved and always great to hear you, especially today on FR/RE-001. Thanks to you I finally managed to score some activator points on my third attempt on Reunion Island.

The volcano in the background is FR/RE-003 (Piton de la Fournaise) which I tried to activate but it is closed to the public as an eruption is in progress. A long way to travel to find a hill closed! It must be a quiet one?

Piton des Neiges is claimed as the highest point in the Indian Ocean, but by definition most of it is at sea level!

Colwyn

3 Likes

After 125 entries in this thread, no one has mentioned that Chris is also an activator, probably because almost no one knew. At the end of June, he and F5ODQ took a German trip and activated 11 times, including six in one day, with no points scored by Chris. Almost all of it was between each other using HT’s.

He is always loud with me, but never in my log because 99% of my activations are search and pounce for s2s.

Elliott, K6EL

6 Likes

Hi Colwyn,
Thank you for this beautiful SOTA contact with Reunion Island !
It is unfortunate that the many amateur radio stations on the island did not give you a postponement during your activities.
Yet there are many!
Happy holidays Colwyn !
73 Chris

3 Likes

Thanks Chris,

Rest day today so I have e-mailed the radio club on La Réunion Island and they have given me their website details.

There are many repeaters on the island so hoping for better luck; (arra.re)

Turtle sanctuary visit tomorrow.

Colwyn

2 Likes

Merci Christian pour les QSOs, dix pour l’instant!

1 Like

Chris,

Amazing dedication to the hobby. Thank for all the chasing!

Eric
AD6VT

1 Like

1st many, many thanks for all the QSO`s Christian…
And also congatulation for your activity!!
73, OE6ADE, Andy

1 Like

Hi Chris,

We have had a splendid time out on La Reunion. It is a beautiful island but the mountains are very steep, it is warm and humid and the footpaths are strenuous so not simple or easy for SOTA activations.

I managed to activate 6 peaks, on two not enough QSOs to gain any points, but two previously unactivated. Christian, vous êtes un chasseur extraordinaire!!! We spoke on 5 out of the 6 summits about 10,000Km away, remarkable success and a few more points for your total.

That is my radio holiday finished. Today on the beach then fly home tomorrow. Hoping that the UK air traffic control chaos is back to normal.

Thanks again for all of your help.

à bientôt

FR/M0YCJ/P
Colwyn

3 Likes

Congratulations Chris @F4WBN on your achievement and thanks for the 21 20m long path QSOs since 2014.

Since 18 April 2022 you have chased me 19 times, all long path and you are often in the first 5 EU callers.

Congratulations, I look forward to many more QSOs with you!

73, Andrew VK1AD

2 Likes

Thanks to all of you who activate summits in virtually inaccessible places. Thanks to all the activators that this summer again allowed us to contact summits that will no longer be feasible this winter.
Long life the SOTA !
Chris F4WBN

6 Likes

Hi Chris,

Congrats and thank you for the many chases!
It’s always great to hear a familiar voice, especially when you’re on another continent. Your antenna is amazing!

73 Stephan

1 Like