F/ab-001

It’s OK to dream right!

Watching the Everest programmes, I have been told in no uncertain terms by the station manager that I can’t go up there (I don’t actually want to). However, she will allow me to do Mont Blanc (F/AB-001). I am seriously thinking of doing this on one of the guided climbs, probably in 2011 to allow me to warm up on Mt Fuji the year before (I also need to get my full licence).

Has anyone here actually been up this mountain and can offer any advice about the guided trips?

Mick

In reply to M3MCV:
Hi Mick

Well one of the (fit) chaps in our local climbing club went to do it last year. He spent a couple of weeks working up to it with outings on the other peaks (guided) but still didn’t make it as he was “just too knackered”.

I’m sure others will agree that although it’s not meant to be too technical, it still requires a good degree of fitness…

…and I assume you are going to activate it right? Best get some pile up training too as you wont have long on the summit… hi.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to M3MCV:

Has anyone here actually been up this mountain and can offer any
advice about the guided trips?

Like Marc I only know some people who have been there. The Camptocamp has several outings for this summit

http://www.camptocamp.org/summits/37355/fr

Geneva and Mont-Blanc region is fairly easily accessible with a flight from UK. So you could activate first some easier summits around here. Some 1000 - 2000 m ascends would probably be a good excercise for the MB expedition.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to M3MCV:

One of my ex workmates did Mont Blanc last year, so when I get into work I will email him and see if he can help you. I believe he went with his mountaineering club so they may not have been part of a guided tour as such. His photographs were stunning, I got vertigo just looking at them.

Best of luck with your ambitions.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to M3MCV:
Hi Mick,

There is an alert for 31/07/2008.
You may ask infos to F3CJ, Joël; it will be his 6th radio expé to AB-001.

Best 73
Alain F6ENO

In reply to M3MCV:

Hi Mick,
I asked my old workmate (also called Mick) about Mont Blanc, this is his reply…

Hi, I actually over some years gained the knowledge and experience to enable me to climb Mont Blanc without a guide. My advice would be to take a guide from the guides office in Chamonix. They are quite competetive with their prices and you can also book some insurance by the day, very cheap. Most people fail due to lack of acclimatisation. Your fitness is in your hands and would be a shame to fail on this account. So make sure you are as fit as you can be. The huts are all booked up in advance by guides and other companies so if you take a guide he will get you a bed in the hut. The easiest route is via the Gouter hut and ridge and generally the best settled weather is in August. I think your friend would have more chance of summiting if he had a local personel guide rather than going with others.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

sorry , but a little off-topic…

hi all,
i don´t want climb that summit in future, but have another personal
goal this or next year in mont blanc area…

http://www.ultratrailmb.com/page.php?page=parcoursCCC

maybe interesting for the one or other, what activities also planned
from your sota friends :slight_smile:

vy 73 Klaus DF2GN

Hi all/

Thanks for the replies on this subject. I have done some reading on this subject and am fully aware that fitness is absolutely crucial and I will have to do a lot of fitness work to even consider taking this one on. It may prove to be beyond me, especially considering I’ll be 50 at the time. Hopefully I’ll get the work trip to Japan in summer 2010 which will give me a chance to take on Fuji and get some idea.Sadly the suggested acclimatisation work is not possible here in the UK (we ain’t got anything high enough) and practice on snowy conditions is difficult here as the country grinds to a halt at the sign of the first snowflake and the only peak I’ll get to is the Beckton ski-slope!

I’ll be interested to hear how the proposed activation goes. Surely space and crowd limitations will prevent setting up much of an antenna. Will it be possible on 2m FM??

Cheers

Mick 2E0MCV

PS of course I’ll have to get a M0 call before I even think of it.

In reply to M3MCV:

Hi Mick,

Age does not matter, at least here, but you need the endurance and an economic climbing technique to save the energy. CAF ‘Le Manuel de la Montagne’ gives an example 12 week training program for Pierra Menta competition. Two ascends in the weekend and one jogging in the week. First 800 - 1000 m/3h, next month 1400 m/4h up to 2000 m/4h (could not do that myself) and last month 1500 m/4h up to 2500 m/6h. The joggings are on Wednesdays 30 - 40 min. First month is 8000 m, then 12 000 m and last 15 000 m. I hope you are already member of some Alpine club.

My activation last Sunday on Pic de la Corne 2080 m was on 30 degree slope with a little snow. Playing with the antennas up there can be dangerous. If your rucksack starts to roll down hill, it may go really far. The major danger in the Alpes is a snow avalanche, which kills equally both inexperienced and experienced touring skiers.

For MB expedition 2 m radio is a good idea. In the news there are often expeditions that are lost some where on the MB route, but the rescue team does not find them due to bad weather conditions. If you can communicate your exact location, it could save your life. That is one reason (in addition to spotting myself) that I started to experiment with the APRS on SOTA expeditions.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Hi SOTA-friends,

in reply to f5vgl

Age does not matter, at least here, but you need the endurance and an economic climbing technique to save the energy.

Last year in Chamonix I met a 70 years (young!) alpinist who did MB several times. He told me about the most important thing which in his eyes is high fitness, endurance and taking care of the weather.
In 2004 a very experienced mountaineer woman died on MB because of bad wx.
The Helicopters could´nt start because of the wx and she died whilest
talking with her parents on the mobile. A very sad story.

http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2004/08/28/334735.html

Vy73 es take care
Fritz hb9csa,dl4fdm

In reply to DL4FDM:
Fritz if right and once more read this E. Whymper words:

“Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; Look well to each step;
And from the beginning think what may be the end.”

Good luck and 73
Alain F6ENO