Exped Dry Bag quality

Plus one for the buffalo. I’ve had mine so long that it’s been through a rather snug phase (due to an expanded waistline) and can now be worn again without looking quite so much like a turkey wrapped in clingfilm! A perfect item for a windy, damp climate.

3 Likes

I have a pair of Ultimate goretex overtrousers I used when I took people out on the hills around the 1980s. They are now used for walking the dog and apart from one small leak they are still functional. They have only a zipper up to the knees)

(I bought a pair of full length zip ones to replace them as they were impossible to put on over crampons when climbing in winter!!)

I also have windproof smock (Cascade ) that might be a little older - late 1970s perhaps)

An ice axe I have and still use must date to the middle 70s made by a Welsh company I can no longer remember.

1 Like

Well my replacement Exped bag arrived today, I’d asked the vendor not to ship it whilst I was away. It’s NOS but is in perfect condition and it’s already been put into service. The question now is do I invest in some seam sealing tape and repair the old one or just use it as a stuff sack?

One piece of clothing I’d forgotten about that is still going strong is my 1982 Berghaus Pole Jacket. I bought when at university as living in a student flat could be very cold and a warm coat was cheaper to run than putting ten bob in the meter all the time! It was £60 ISTR and is a Nylon outer with Dacron Holofil stuffing. That is a fine hollow nylon tube about 0.25mm diameter. It was “the thing” in the early 80s as it was light and warm. The downside was if you got it seriously wet, water would capillary up the hollow tubes and your coat ended up 10x heavy and took forever to dry. But it had to get seriously wet for that to happen.

It’s relegated to dirty outdoor activities now. So clearing snow, outside DIY, contesting etc. where a Down jacket is far too nice to use in such conditions. All the zips and fasters still work, it’s still perfect apart from one tiny wee wear hole on the cuff. Not bad for regular use over 41 years. They seem to be collectible as people are selling them on eBay for £150-£200. I may have to give it a damn good clean and get it sold !

4 Likes

Clog??

2 Likes

Yes!!! That’s it. The pick is quite thinner than most but I’ve used it lots of times on grade III/IV in Scotland. It is a like easier to place it on ice as well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes