EU/VK S2S event 1 May 2022

ok, so lets organize EU/VK/ZL 2.0 for next weekend? I’ll get on a summit this time !

A general reply to the thread -

I hadnt been intending to go out for SOTA until tomorrow (Tuesday, 3rd) for my annual RockMite 20 activation. As a family we’ve not had much planned for this weekend, just taking it easy, with a couple of birthdays thrown in and a couple of visits to see family. Rather at the last minute I reckoned that I could casually take part in the EU/VK event. In the past these events seemed to me as though they were very much centered on SSB. I’d seen a few alerts from VK stations with promises of CW, so I thought at least I would be in with a shot.

I have been using a QCX amplifier for my activations sporadically, but I’ve had an annoying RF feedback problem. I decided to rework my QCX classic to try to sort the issues. Firstly I re-did the low pass filter and put it back to stock (with thanks to @G4TGJ for the 180pF caps). I then tried decoupling caps on the input and output connectors. The thing that seems to have fixed my woes is using a piece of RG-174 to carry the +5v PTT line away from the PCB. I had originally just used a piece of hook up cable and I noted that it ended up right across the back of the ATMEGA328 processor.

The QCX amplifier was a later addition to the QRP Labs product line so the QCX classic doesn’t have the necessary PTT provision to trigger the amp during transmit. The +5V TX signal has to be picked off the QCX board with a jumper wire.

I’d tried the newly (re-)re-worked QCX, without the amp, on Hutton Roof Crags G/LD-052 on Thursday and I was pleased to find that the rig is now working great.

I thought that my QCX with amp would be great for the EU/VK event as the system is lighter and more efficient than a big rig. I then started having ideas about trying some SSB. I have the use of an IC-7000, but that also means taking a heavy 22aH golf cart battery as it’s a hungry beast. I opted to pack my home built SSB rig as it’s not so hungry on power and runs easily from my 6aH LiFePO4.

My home built SSB rig has a great receiver but the transmit side is extremely basic. I measured 7w output on a whistle. There’s no audio processing of any kind so it takes effort to get an output. To be honest, making the two QSOs with that rig is pretty amazing and made it worth carrying!

Home built SSB rig during construction.

I too was chasing the spots and the two stations I heard on CW, I worked. The only VK signals I heard on SSB were VK5MAZ and VK5PAS.

I suppose I didn’t really take the event too seriously, I could’ve used the IC7000 for both SSB and CW and then results would probably have been different. I do like to try to use home constructed gear if possible though.

73, Colin

5 Likes

My activation of VK2/HU-093 started at 0430z with a stint on 40m SSB for the local chasers and S2Ss. First S2S was with VK1AD then VK2HRX and VK2WP. First DX and completely unexpected on 40m was with Terry @G0VWP. It seemed too early at 0454z and on the wrong band! After a short stint on 40m CW I moved to 20m CW and worked VK1MCW and VK2WP again. It was another surprise to work VK1MCW on 20m being only 300km away.

The DX then started to flow in. S2S worked were @IW2OBX, DL20SOTA (@DL3TU) on CW and SSB, @ZL4NVW on SSB, @HB9AFI, @HB9DIZ on SSB, @HB9EAJ on SSB and @HB9EKO.

I also heard and called Colin @M1BUU several times on CW and even though there were no other callers, he did not hear me. I heard @SV2CNE on SSB too but he had an EU pileup that I wasn’t cutting through.

All up made 55 contacts with 14 S2S (7 EU, 1 ZL and 6 VK). EU worked: 21 CW, 6 SSB. Equipment was a KX2 @ 12W with a ZS6BKW antenna at 9m high. It was a very busy activation as I was also hunting local parks stations and made 7 contacts there. The activation ended at sunset 0715z and the path to EU was still open. Thanks to all the EU stations for getting on so early in the morning! Great activation!

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JD9QySzEu56127p9

73, Gerard - VK2IO

7 Likes

Hi Gerard,
given the location of Mt Elliot on the east coast, I suspect that was Grey-line propagation with Terry. The timing usually produces ZL and East Coast VK into Europe on 40m.
73 Ed.

1 Like

Good morning Andrew VK1AD
I will remember May Day 2022 as a day when I contacted mobile stations from Australia VK and New Zealand ZL
These were my first contacts SOTA from a Greek mountain peak with a peak in Australia, as well as in New Zealand.
Thank you for listening to me Andrew VK1AD and Matt ZL4NVW.
73 de SV2CNE George

7 Likes

Hi George

You are very welcome and I must say it was equally pleasing to work a new SV Greek summit.

Thank you for creating the opportunity to complete a S2S QSO with you.

I would like to try again on 1 May 2023, however with the predicted improvements in the sunspot cycle, I can guarantee there will be more opportunities from my side starting in September 2023 through to May 2023.

73, Andrew VK1AD

2 Likes

Hi Ed,
I sent to Sid a whatsapp message but i didn’t receive any reply. is the cell number correct?
Thanks you

Hi Roberto,
The text about the South African SOTA day on May 2nd, came from Southgatearc News. As Sid’s number would be in South Africa, I presume it will need +27 on the front of it and drop the zero making it +27 82 461 3279.
It doesn’t say so in the news item but my guess is that this Sid is Sid Tyler @ZS5AYC whose email address is his call sign at gmail dot com, you could try contacting Sid that way or via a PM on this reflector if you wish to make contact with the ZS SOTA/POTA group.

73 Ed DD5LP.

2 Likes