'Error invalid Spot'

Well someone created it with your name, call sign and email address. Looks to be 10-11 years old from the associated UserID. It also has OTP enabled along with password credentials so I don’t know how well that would integrate with your app.

However, that is not getting any of us closer to the problem. I can remember having no end of problems with Keycloak authorisation for my apps/servers and in the end gave up using 3rd party Python libraries as they never seemed to work 100% of time and wrote my own. If that fails, then it’s my fault and problem!

1 Like

I couldn’t have created it 10-11 years ago, simply because I’ve been YO3SAW only since 2017. YO8SAW is the account I created a long time ago. Something must have happened on your side when migrating to SOTAWatch3. I remember noticing at that time that I could no longer login with YO8SAW, but instead YO3SAW worked. However, I still used YO8SAW in SOTA Spotter successfully. That is, until now. I just tried posting a spot and it failed with YO8SAW, but it worked with YO3SAW. :confused:

Perhaps the situation is similar for Ed.

Bogdan YO3SAW

1 Like

I started a staged rollout of a new version of SOTA Spotter which should fix the problems that occurred when editing a spot or alert. Apparently a field in the request was formatted as a string instead of a number.

I’m not sure if this problem has existed since I first introduced the edit feature (I don’t believe so) or sometime after that the specifications of the requests have changed. In any case, I apologize for the inconvenience.

If all goes well (no major issues, crashes or anything like that) I will update to a full rollout after a few days.

Thanks for your patience!

Bogdan YO3SAW

3 Likes

Yes I consistently get that error when trying to edit a spot via the app

Rick

Test alert added in SW3
After a few seconds the alert appears in Sota Spotter (updated version):

Which I can then edit (press and hold for some seconds and them release and select edit).

Checking SW3 - and the change (to the text in this example) is there:
and finally, delete the alert using Sota Spotter:

and the alert is also gone in SW3:

So, all working brilliantly -thanks Bogdan!

73 Ed.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear, thanks for the feedback!

Hello Bogdan,

Just noticed with the latest update that - at least on my phone - on using on of the SMS gateway for spotting it opens the SMS app but no SMS spot message text is generated.

I checked app permissions and everything is fine there.
Phone: Motorola Defy, Android 10

Thanks for investigating.
73 Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe,
SMS spotting from SOTA Spotter working from my (LG K42 Android 10) Smartphone:

Perhaps this is a permissions thing? Are you using the standard SMS program or an OEM one?

73 Ed.

It is the standard sms apps. It worked once in my tests. Not sure what the problem is.
Maybe it is my new phone that does something strange.

Also a restart of the phone did not change things.

Thanks for the test Ed

Somewhere I think I saw something about access rights for sending SMS messages under Android 10 - I’m blowed if I can find the setting now of course!

Perhaps try de-installing and re-installing SOTA Spotter completely and if prompted by Android, give access rights to SMS / Messaging if it asks for them.
If you search the web, Google brought in a lot of restrictions to Apps sending SMS messages last year - but I think that is why Bogdan just puts the text into the App, and you have to press send yourself. i.e. the SOTA Spotter App cannot use the SMS App to directly send an SMS as it used to.

73 Ed.

1 Like

I was looking at the access rights and all are given. As written sometimes it works (like once out of 5). So I guess more a matter of timeing or the handover between apps. Or a matter of energy management.
Let’s see if Bogdan has an idea.

73 Joe

1 Like

Just a bit of feedback… I noticed today that on my phone i dont have a cursor line on the comments line. So if i try to edit a comment, the little line that shows where you are does not show.

Sorry for the late reply, my free time is quite limited these days.

I just use the standard Android API for opening the default messaging app and sending the contents of the message to it. How well that is supported on a certain device I can’t really know. According to the Google Play Console, for SOTA Spotter:

As you can imagine, it is impossible to make sure the app works on every one of those devices. That said, I will investigate and if I find anything I’ll get back to you, Joe.

Oops… Yep, that’s a problem with the color themes, thanks for letting me know!

Bogdan YO3SAW

3 Likes

Hi Joe,
Is your phone actually running Android 11 not Android 10?

My Android 10 LG K42 Smartphone told me it had an update waiting this morning - I accepted it and it updated the phone from Android 10 to Android 11 and guess what - when testing SOTA Spotter, sending a test SMS to the UK Gateway - this is what happens now in the SMS App:

NO TEXT Transferred!

73 Ed.

1 Like

It is still on Android 10. But I noticed it works reliable when I kill SOTA Spotter and send the spot. If I just put it to the background and open it then it does not work.

So I found my workaround.

73 Joe

1 Like

This lack of text appearing in the SMS messaging app seems to be a “function” of the latest messenger App. It is interesting that when trying to send a spot to the UK number the text to be sent is not displayed in the App for sending but if I use the EA SMS number instead the text to be sent is displayed in Messenger, as it used to be, and can be sent. The message to be sent to EA is longer, than used with the UK gateway, I wonder if that is significant?
I had originally thought that this had something to do with the anti-spam logic in this app but I don’t think that is the case as I can find nowhere in the settings where it is blocking the UK number.

Isn’t it great when we upgrade to a new set of problems when we upgrade the phone software!

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed,

I’ve been trying to find out what the problem is, but no luck so far. I cannot replicate the bug on my phone, so I’m currently investigating this problem with the help of @EA2CW. Hopefully we’ll be able to narrow it down.

Bogdan

1 Like

Thanks Bogdan - As you’ll see from my posts above, everything was working fine until my phone upgraded to Android 11 (and presumably got the new Messenger App). I’ll try a de-install / re-install of SOTA Spotter and see if that changes things.

73 Ed.

UPDATE: That worked - de-installing and re-installing SOTA Spotter after the messaging App has been updated makes the transfer of text from SOTA Spotter to the messaging App work again. (at least for me).

3 Likes