For some time now I have been using the Elecraft T1 tuner together with my Yaesu FT-817. My standarad equipment for SOTA activities. So far everything has been fine. One of the fastest tuners I’ve had so far.
But during the last activations I always had the problem that I was not heard, despite spot. Unusual in such an active and loyal chaser community When I moved the coax cable a little, something more happened. I thought it was a cable problem. Another cable was taken. The last time I activated the Hohloh DM/BW-054 - it was over. I could no longer hear anything and when transmitting I could only read High SWR on the TRX
At home I unscrewed the T1 and saw the problem. The BNC sockets had come loose from the circuit board.
No problem, put in new ones. But I don’t have such BNC sockets. I took a closer look and thought, actually, these sockets are not ideal - as they are not permanently installed in the housing - they are only held by the circuit board. In the tinkering box I found other BNC sockets which can be screwed to the housing. After a bit of screwing, soldering, drinking beer, looking at them and a quick test of the contacts, everything fitted.
Yesterday I took the “new” tuner to the Wagnersberg DM/BW-849 and used a simple wire as I had done the last times. I got the idea from Roman’s @DL3TU website. I am always amazed how well a simple wire works in the air.
View to the “Schluchsee” from the way to the summit.
View to the “Schluchsee” from parking place.
The tuner worked perfectly and as a thank you I was able to log some DX connections as well as many known chaser friends
And I am sure of it. The BNC sockets will now work longer and safer.
See you soon
73 Marcel DM3FAM