Eifel trip DL/PAFYG/P

Thanks to all who worked me or did try it.

We activated 12 summits in 4 day including trip to Eifel and trip home.

Yesterday evening the were already 400 qso’s in the log, today I have to add about 120…

Sorry for the short activation on the last summit DM/RP-002 today, my battery alarm gave a low cell alarm of a fresh battery, changed to the used one, also alarm. At home all looks well!!

WX was good, between -4 and +2 degrees, sometimes sun, on the summits ( > 600m ) about 10 cm of snow. Only on DM/RP-005 falling snow gave some writing problems.

Conditions were very good, and most times I got response after one CQ.
Only on the first day I had a hard time to get enough qso’s on the third summit DM/RP-171, I guess starting at 1600 UTC is a bit to late. I worked Franci S57ILF immediately, but after that only non SOTA fans.

Record qso/minute on DM/RP-158 ( 19 febr. ): 83 qso’s, QRV 9.13 UTC , QRT 9.46 UTC.
I used “by number” 3-4 times, I thinks that helps a lot when there are so many callers and there is only a certain time available on the summit ( 3 summits a day and a waiting xyl hi hi )

I will upload the logs tonight and place some pictures on my site www.smitzeewolde.nl tomorrow.

I guess next activation is in the summer holiday, perhaps PA-004/005 in May.

Hope to work you soon again,

73 de Hans DL/PA3FYG/P & xyl Jose.

In reply to PA3FYG:

Hello Hans, thank you very much for all the summits. You must have a very patient xyl :sunglasses: Always a very good signal to me here in East Sussex.

Thank you again & best wishes.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

Roger, I do not complain. In the summer she is reading a book in the sun, but now it was cold for here, not having the pile-up adrenalin.

Hans PA3FYG

In reply to PA3FYG:

Well Hans (and Jose), the older I get the more I feel the cold. I hope this summer is a good one. I know very well what you mean about pile-up adrenalin and I think it is a very hard job on a summit with other things for you to consider around you.

Best wishes
Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

Roger, I do not complain. In the summer she is reading a book in the sun, but now it was cold for here, not having the pile-up adrenalin.

Hans PA3FYG

In reply to G6TUH:

Hans PA3FYG

In reply to PA3FYG:
Hi Hans;

Thanks very much for all of the summits over the past week, all of them were lesser activated summits and uniques for me so doubly appreciated.

Your working by numbers was very successful and worth using again.

I am glad that the short last activation was only a low battery problem, I was worried that it might have been something more serious and that you were maybe alone there in the winter weather.

Looking forward to your next expedition

73 de Ken G3XQE

In reply to PA3FYG:
In reply to PA3FYG:

Hi Hans,

Thanks very much for all the summits during your trip.
I am glad it was only a battery problem on the last summit, I and other chasers were worried about you. I had a feeling it could have being a battery problem as your signal dropped off here, I think I was your last QSO of the trip.

Working by number was excellent as it calmed the pile ups down.

Hope you had a good trip, I look forward to your next one. Thanks very much for the points.
73 de Mick M0MDA

In reply to M0MDA:

Tnx.

Yes By Number was new for me in SOTA but worked out very well, I really did not hear a single letter without it.

You are the last one, that it right, I reduced power, ur qso with 5-10 watts.
Normally I use 30W, then I can activate 2 summits with one battery of 5AH.

I do not know was was wrong, the 2nd ( fresh ) battery looks full here at home! My battery alarm checking the LiPo cells gave alarm on both used and fresh battery on 1 cell only. I will do some tests. Perhaps bad contact on sensing connector.

I made 11 contacts there and looking back it was good to go back again, dark snow clouds were coming, and it started to snow when we arived at the car.

Well I am spoiled with 50+ qsos on one summit hi hi.

Picture of location soon on my site.

73 de Hans

Could the battery issue have been temperature related?

In reply to PA3FYG:

Hi Hans,
Ok that will explain the signal drop. You were 58-59 on all the summits i worked you on but during our last QSO you dropped off to 53. You still made the trip with 5-10 watts.

Hope you sort out your battery problems. Looking forward to seeing your photos and your next activation.

73 de M0MDA