EA8/LA-xxx

I know I’ve been AWOL for a while but here is a little heads up about a few activations which Helen and I are planning on Lanzarote between 24th November and 2th December.

Nothing set in concrete so please look out for alerts on the day.

Carolyn

1 Like

Ah! We miss each other. You arrive a few days after I leave. Have fun.

1 Like

We booked just before your alerts so what a coincidence going to the same island around the same time? Neither of us have had a proper break this year so it was now or next year to do a trip and the Canaries are not too far away.

We are planning a combination of SOTA, geocaching and sightseeing, very little sitting by a pool or beach we are going to explore.

For the chasers there will be none of this QRP/CW silliness from us :wink:

As soon as we have a feel for the island alerts will be posted.

Primary bands will be 20 and 17m with 15/10m if propagation allows.

Carolyn

Well you have chosen a great place Carolyn. Lanzarote is my favourite of the Canary Islands as it is less populated and less touristy. The scenery is fantastic and the climate this time of year is very comfortable with that lovely easterly African breeze. I am sure Andy can give you a more up to date picture of the Island - I haven’t been there for 2 years.

Have a great break and look forward to hearing you on a summit.

73 Glyn

Carolyn, make sure your boots have a stiff and thick sole. I did Caldera Blanca (reccommend) and wore my Karrimor “soft boots”, a mid height boot/trainer crossover with a good sole but my feet are dead after a few km walking on the little lava pebbles. Oh, it looks like I walked 1000km today by the wear on them too!

Also 10m is a must… I worked about 70, mainly SSB contacts on 10m with my rubbish 10m antenna and 4.5W. If you have a decent antenna for 10m and the PA you will be in a world of joy. Also, thanks to James M0JCQ, you’ll need some kind of tripod arrangement as you wont get tent pegs into the ground! For a small antenna, there are lumps of lava laying about but they are very light and it’s very windy. and made all my setups precarious apart from the one where I used the trig column.

Andy
EA8/MM0FMF

Hi Glyn

Lanzarote is also my favourite of the group, the last time I visited was over 10 years ago though and my interest at the time was below the water SCUBA diving so I’m looking forward to clambering over the volcanic landscape.

I will do my best to produce a good signal for you.

Thank you for the advice on the boots Andy you have confirmed what we had read about the landscape being a bit abrasive.

My travel antenna doesn’t need much support so we’ll adapt to the terrain somehow.

**Also, thanks to James M0JCQ, you’ll need some kind of tripod arrangement as you wont get tent pegs into the ground!

What did James do to the ground?? :open_mouth:

1 Like