EA6/ON7DQ Trip

Hi all,

We’re flying to Mallorca EA6 tomorrow, and I have posted Alerts for a few easy summits. Only two will involve some walking/climbing.

A special one to look out for is on September 10th (if WX permits):
EA6/SD-001 Na Popia on Sa Dragonera Island.
If all goes as planned, I should arrive at the summit around 09:20Z, and will try to be QRV for abt. 2h30, trying all bands from 60m … up to 2m (FM).
Let’s hope for good propagation!

In CW I will work split, as to maximize the chances for a QSO, but I’m asking to use some courtesy toward the activator:

• SPREAD OUT +/- 0.5 kHz around the split frequency (so normally UP 0.5 to 1.5 kHz)
  • send your call ONLY ONCE, then LISTEN (and LISTEN, and LISTEN)
  • if I reply with X? don’t send your call again, if you don’t have an X in your call, I will not react to those calls, they are QRM that will annoy me, and I will put you at the end of the list, or even not work you at all
  • don’t send your call each and every turn, you may need some patience, but I’ll get to you in the end (if I can hear you)
  • don’t call me if you don’t hear me (DUH!)
  • don’t use a websdr, the delay of the websdr will make you call each time when I’m transmitting, so you will miss my reply (I’m sure you knew this, but I’m often enough hearing chasers calling at the same time as the activator, which makes no sense)

GL es 73, CU soon !
Luc EA6/ON7DQ

11 Likes

I hope to work you Luc and safe travels my friend.

De KN4OK

1 Like

Hi Luc,

I wisch you a nice flight.
I will try to work from the QRA and from wenesday from Menorca.
Looking forward to making s2s.
73’s
Laurent F8CZI

1 Like

Hi Laurent,

if possible, be QRV on Monday Sept 4th, I should be on EA6/MA-040, Talaia d’Alcúdia, from where I could possibly see you on Menorca … maybe we can ‘shout’ a S2S, hi.
Seriously, if you have a 2m FM portable, that could work, distance is only some 60 km.
Also have a good flight and a nice holiday!
Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

Hi Luc,
For me just 3 Sota wich could be activated. I have no plan at the moment but I will post alert when I will know what I will do.
I will bring with me my KX3 with the 2m option and of course an end-feed antenna plus a Slim Jim for 2m.
73’s
Laurent F8CZI

Hi Luc,
Wishing you a happy stay in Mallorca and looking forward to copy you from Sa Dragonera.

If you need anything while on EA6 just let me know. 73 GL
Ignacio

1 Like

Not much time to write reports here, we’re just having a good time.
WX has been very windy over the weekend, so no SOTA.
But if all goes well, I should be on a summit tomorrow and Wednesday, see Alerts.

Here a few pics from activations so far:
Puig de sa Cova Negra EA6/MA-065, using only the QCX Mini 17m/20m + EFHW, and FT1D for 2m FM

Puig de Sant Salvador EA6/MA-035

Puig de Bonany EA6/MA-056

Luc EA6/ON7DQ

7 Likes

Have fun :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

Bedankt Luc voor de mooie verbindingen nog veel succes .

1 Like

S2S tomorrow (Wednesday) maybe?

1 Like

Yes Rob @DM1CM , I would love a S2S if time coincides and propagation is good!
73 GL
Luc

1 Like

Today I did a nice activation of EA6/MA-040, in company of some other “mountain goats”, who were very curious to know what I was doing. One even came to sit by me, and licked my arm.
I was lucky that it didn’t eat my logbook! HI

It took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the sumit, starting at the parking of the Ermita de la Victoria, pos 39.873178, 3.170635
42 QSO’s in the log with 8 S2S, so that deserved a reward !

Luc EA6/ON7DQ

8 Likes

Hi all,

Just want to let you know that the YL and I arrived safely home at noon today.

The last day of our stay was rounded off with a nice meeting with two “Stars” of EA6 SOTA (and DVGE & POTA & WWFF), Lorenzo @EA6KB and Ricardo @EA6LU

A more detailed report will appear on my blog as usual, but it will take some time … I have a long “To Do” list waiting for me :wink:

Luc ON7DQ

5 Likes

I have uploaded new tracks for these two summits:
EA6/MA-040 Talaia d’Alcúdia
and
EA6/SD-001 Na Popia (on Sa Dragonera island)
Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

Thank’s for taking the trouble to upload those two GPX tracks. The route to Na Popia looks hard, lots of hairpins starting from the port, no surprise looking at the OT maps that it took 1 hr 40 mins, fron the port. The departure point from Mallorca is also quite a way from Palma, so good on you travelling out there and then experiencing quite an unruly SSB pile up at the time I was listening, their was high demand! I hope your YL enjoyed the day.

73 Phil G4OBK

2 Likes

@G4OBK
Yes Phil,
It was quite exhausting with the heat (30 °C and not much shade).
Stefan @HB9HCS was on the same boat with us, and he made it to the summit in one run, in just 50 minutes!
But I guess he was born on a summit … and he’s a ‘little bit’ younger than me, hi.
Anyway, that saved us from agreeing on what bands to use, to avoid mutual interference … his activation was already finished by the time we got to the summit.
73 Luc ON7DQ

4 Likes

Blimey - a summit isn’t activated for 18 months and then two of you turn up on the same day!

73 Phil

3 Likes

@G4OBK
Advantage: … our ‘split’ activation made it possible to have the summit complete in the same day :wink:
(using 2m for working each other in/out the AZ)
Luc ON7DQ

4 Likes

Very good Luc, well done on that super Complete - it was not the pre-planned “Complete” that often takes place when two activators travel together and give each other a QSO after stepping outside the 25m drop zone!

I did this once on Ailsa Craig GM/SS-246 when I worked Jimmy @M0HGY/P on the big trip there that he organised in 2009. (Memorable takeaway fish supper eaten in the pub after the boat came in).

In July 2022 I chased Ben @GW4BML/P there from my home QTH, so I deleted my QSO with Jimmy and made it a much more satisfying Complete!

73 Phil

2 Likes

Please don’t do that. I know many feel that such contrived QSOs don’t feel worthy but all the data is meaningful and valuable for band usage and activity etc. and now that QSO is gone.

4 Likes