EA2IF pileup on 10m

Today, EA2IF had a fine pileup on the 10m band. Guru, and I had the pleasure to work you 2S2 in cw and ssb from DM/NS-107.

All the best, Chris

10 Likes

Hello Christophe,
Thank you very much for the S2S QSOs on CW and SSB today.
Thanks also for posting this video. It was a lot of fun working so many stations on 10m.
I logged 24 CW QSOs between 10h33 and 10h57, including our S2S, Christophe. Also 11 SSB QSOs.
I find interesting in your video that you didn’t copy at all the italian station from Monza IZ2TXI, whom I had QSO with, but you were copying my 5W signal very well.
This is SpE magic…
I went to this drive up summit with the idea of working a few S2S only and I hadn’t even alerted because it was totally improvised. I did work some S2S on 30m with @HB9EVF and @HB9TWM at the beginning, but I found the 10m band open and I couldn’t resist selfspotting for a good run on that band. After 10m, I had an S2S with @HB9IIO on 17m CW with too high SWR on my side because my tuner can’t tune my endfed wire on that band and also another S2S with @LA1RQ on 20m SSB.
I highly recommend and encourage activators to work 10m in these days. We will have all the rest of the year to work 40 and 60m.
Thanks again and 73,

Guru
P.D. you can see following the map of my activation:

10 Likes

Hello Chris, very good my signal at DM/NS-107. Tnx for the qso in 20m. Very difficult contact with Guru, a lot qsb, in some moments i was loss totally the signal.
73 de José ea7gv

1 Like

:+1: Good fun during the Summer months as adding 10 (and 12m) antennas weighs little.

10 and 12m 1/4λ GP ( 10m radiator, 12m radiator, common triple radials ) weighs 140gm

10m Delta Loop with 1/4λ 75Ohm matching section and additional guys. Weighs 240gm.

3 Likes

True for those working with resonant antennas, but in my case, the 10m band antenna adds nothing rather than little weight, as I used my 14m long endfed wire, the same I use for all the other bands.

It was very good fun indeed.

Guru

Hi Guru
Thanks for the CW contact today on 10m. I’m sorry I messed up a bit but I like you was running a high swr on my long wire and was just so excited that you heard me, I was dreading someone walking all over me before you managed to receive my report. of 5NN. you were so loud and clear, it’s funny though I couldn’t hear a thing when you went on ssb. once again thanks mate and best 73.

2 Likes

That’s the same here. I use my 20m long efhw horizontal for all bands up to 10m.
Once I check this versus a 5m long vertical, but the 20m wire was the winner.
73 Chris

1 Like

Inspired by Guru’s success, I chose to take my 10m/12m groundplane vertical antenna up Gun G/SP-013 on my way to work this morning. The antenna isn’t truly resonant for either the 10m or 12m band. It’s centre frequency is somewhere in the 11m CB band! However, it is made with thick core SOTAbeams mil. spec. wire and therefore has a wide set of usable frequencies - covering both the 12m and 10m bands!

So far so good. Only thing was that both bands were stone dead. Nothing even remotely detectable on 28.074 or 24.900 - the nominal FT8 frequencies. I had my 2m FM HT with me, and I was almost resigned to calling for a contact on that so that I could at least record a SOTA activation before I completed my commute to work.

As I tuned across the bands one final time, I heard something strong on 28.720MHz SSB. It was a father and son, both licensed, having a QSO. Dad was at home in the Midlands and chatting to his son who was driving to work. I tail-ended the QSO and had a chat with the father, and related my own licensed father-and-son similarity.

So just the one QSO for the activation, but very pleasant to be out on the Moorlands in the warm early morning sunshine.

Sorry for you, but at 13 utc the 10m band opens with strong signal from GB in the north of germany.
I heard 2 qsos on the same frequency, because they couldn’d hear each other.

73 Chris

1 Like

Dear Allen,
Thank you very much for your call and CW QSO. It was a joy for me to copy you so well on 10m. Thanks for letting me know that you weren’t copying me anymore a few minutes later, while I operated on SSB. Conditions are changing quickly and there’s also QSB, which under QRP powers, can easily be the difference between a perfect copy and a no copy at all.
I hope we’ll have a new chance to communicate on air soon.
By the way, le me tell you that, when I checked the map of my activation that day, I found your QTH Locator was missing, so the contact with you was not being displayed on the map. I checked your QRZ.com to find out you are located in West Yorkshire and that let me guess your QTH Locator as IO93eq. [EDIT] I have just found on your QRZ.com page that this is 100% right:
imagen

I guess there must be a settings page in the SOTA site for you to declare your QTH Locator and Latitude/Longitude coordinates for the SOTA mapping being able to display your location like in this map:

Guru

1 Like

Hi Guru I will see if I can find the appropriate settings page , Thanks for telling me as I wasn’t aware there was such a map.
All the very best 73 mate

Hi Allen,
Once you are logged on, either the SOTAwatch page or the Mapping page, for instance (I guess it will be the same from all the other pages under SSO), if you clic on your callsign at the right top corner, you’ll get a dropdown menu. Then you clic on Update account:

And you’ll get a page like this where you can write your Lat/Long coordinates:

You don’t need to write your locator and it looks like the system automatically calculates it from the Lat/Long coordinates.

Good luck mate!
I hope to copy you again soon.

Guru

Done it thanks Guru

2 Likes

Guru machine!!
hi, hi

1 Like