EA1/LE-031 Activation- 13 September

Introduction

A short holidays in this area gives me the opportunity to activate my first summit in EA1, great motivation to climb this mountain that hides a surprise for the end (a little rain hi).

Some cows on the road

Climb

We parked de car at the top of Puerto de los Portillinos to start the climb to the summit of Cabeza de la Yegua (EA1 / LE-031) at 2,141 meters a.s.l.

Desiree walking to the summit

We reached the summit in 50 minutes after walking approximately 3.5kms and 200 vertical meters.

Views during de hike

The morning was cloudy and windy, but we crossed our fingers to keep it from raining …

On the summit

Activation

Using a construction as a windbreak I mounted my shack behind the wall to protect us from the strong wind.

Protected from the strong wind

I started in 40m ssb at 8:50 utc, the first of the day was Manu EA2DT, it was very difficult to get some communications due to the high qrm, the wind also made it difficult to listen.

Happy despite the bad weather

I was scheduled to run in 20m as well, but one look back and I saw the heavy rain approaching fast.
We packed everything quickly and ran down.

The cloud reaching us during the descent

We could not win the race to the cloud, we finished the descent totally soaked!
After the rainy interruption the activation ended with 76 qso all in 40m ssb.

Break in Peñalba de Santiago

After the rain we enjoyed a visit to a beautiful town in the valleys: Peñalba de Santiago.
I hope to write the next report soon when inspiration accompanies me, this was the first.

73 de EA5INS

12 Likes

very pretty summit in León, thanks for share it!
Best regards
Jon EA3BV (from Asturias)

1 Like

Hi Jon, thanks for your detailed activation report and fine photos. Well done to you both. :grinning: :beers:
Cheers, Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hello Jon,
thanks for info, nice pics and congrats on this new one. It is always great to explore a new association and see different landscapes to what you are used to activate in EA5.

Please keep on writing reports, they help others to see what they will find when they visit this summit. In the other hand it is good to see friends on screen. I hope we can meet and share an activation together; maybe in EA2/NV?

73 Un abrazo
Ignacio

1 Like

Hello Ignacio!
they are two pleasures in one: traveling and radio. It is always a special emotion to activate a summit in other places far from the usual area. Reading your reports and those of other friends motivated me, I hope to continue contributing stories to tell.

I am sure that in the future we will put on the air some summit together, I really enjoyed a few years ago in Navarra, beautiful landscapes and places in that land.

73 de EA5INS

2 Likes