DX with Elecraft AX1!

Amazed with the DX I got recently with my KX2 (10W CW) and the AX1 antenna (well known 115cm whip from Elecraft). I haven’t used much the AX1 but I really impressed with the performance :sweat_smile: During those activations I used the tripod adapter and the stock counterpoise.

- 30.10 from OK/OM-001: JH1MXV on 20m

- 06.11 from SP/SS-003: @WX1S and @N4EX both on 17m

The AX1 set, tripod and short feeder fit nicely in this small pouch from Aliexpress:

16 Likes

I share your impression.
73 Chris

3 Likes

It’s pretty amazing when you can do that with that little guy. Nice job!

3 Likes

My homebrew version made a good job on 20m and also on 30m. Tnx to Uwe, DK80A for testing!
73 Chris

3 Likes

I was also pretty surprised to get a response from Jack, FK8GU, from New Calendonia on 20m when I activated HB/BE-119 on October 17th 2022 early morning. This was also with the KX2 and the AX1 antenna (10W SSB).

5 Likes

I regularly reach into Europe using mine with the TX-500, essentially it’s a backup to my bandspringer but it gets a run out frequently.

waiting for all of the comments saying how the AX-1 is a dummy load…

Love this antenna for what it is: super portable and easy to setup and takedown quickly. It’s not going to beat a dipole for efficiency, but it still works really well!

3 Likes

Today I tried my AX-1 antenna for the first time on a summit. No DX, but I made 10 QSO’s on 20m and 4 QSO’s on 17m within 15 minutes. For such a small antenna I think it’s a good result.

Probably I will use this antenna again on cold days in winter and on long hikes in summer. But for all “normal” hiking tours I will continue to use my trusty old EFHW with 20m long wire.

73 Martin, OE5REO

7 Likes

ax-1 meme

9 Likes

I think it’ the only antenna HB9NBG uses on his summits now. It’s saved activations for me when there is zero room to setup anything.

2 Likes