DX Cluster spots

Are the Sota activators who are being spotted on the cluster as FF activations uploading logs for FF or is somebody having a laugh???

In reply to G0RQL:

There’s an easy fix for this Don. If the problem persists I’ll arrange several frequencies in advance by email for my usual SOTA chasers so they get first bite at the cherry.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0RQL:

They “appear” to come from G3NYY/P.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I wonder if the RSPB and The National Trust know their logos are being used on M0OXO’s site? At first glance it looks like these organisations appear to endorse WFF. So how much money have they received from WFF?

Likewise, looking at the GMFF page shows nothing about actually giving any money to any Environment agency or charity.

There’s a pervasive smell to the whole thing.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

They “appear” to come from G3NYY/P.

Nothing to do with me, and it’s the first I’ve heard of it. I have no DX Cluster access. It may be someone retaliating as a result of my rather scathing remarks about WFF.

Incidentally, I received an unsolicited email yesterday from wff-info@ew4dx.org informing me that I had won certificates and a plaque for working WFF stations, and asking me to send 10 Euro for each certificate and 60 Euro for the Plaque !!!

It said at the end, “We also will be glad to see you among participants of WFF Fund!”

Fat chance! The more I see of this, the more I think it’s a scam.
:-0

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt

I never thought that they originated from you. Not your MO at all.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to MM0FMF:

It looks like this thread has gone off at a tangent it started over cluster spots and gone off subject .

If you start asking whos got permission and copyright then that is a hole new mine field to play in .

G0TRB

In reply to G3NYY:

We all get those emails Walt who has reached an award level and just ignore them .

At the end of the day if you want the certificate then you pay the fee if its SOTA WAB IOTA whoever, but that does not stop anyone taking part and giving points away to those who chase. I know of some UK awards that charge £10 and then send a certificate by email to print yourself whereas most EU ones are free when sent by email.

It is a personal choice about participating in any award activity is only a hobby and a certificate just shows your achivement.

I managed to spot you today on 2 mtrs but you were off doing S2S and like others waiting never managed to catch you.

G0TRB

In reply to G0RQL:

Are the Sota activators who are being spotted on the cluster as FF
activations uploading logs for FF or is somebody having a laugh???

It looks like someones had a laugh at Walt’s expense as he was out today.
with his comments and that of others saying the same .

Next question have any of the WFF gang now started SOTA chasing ??? and did the SOTA activator get any new DXCC .

G0TRB

In reply to G0TRB:

Next question have any of the WFF gang now started SOTA chasing ???

There were plans from the WFF committee to start some mountain award program as well, bu I do not see any activity yet.

73! Alex UT4FJ

In reply to all:
Gentlemen,

I don’t understand these attacks against the WFF awards. They are too expensive, sure, so don’t buy them.
SOTA awards are not free, so everyone may choose to buy or not these awards.

Like many others, French FFF awards can be obtained for free by email: http://wff44.free.fr/diplomes.htm

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to DC7CCC:

Thanks for your link Mario. From there I found a link to wff44.com that explains more about WFF than the anyone else has mentioned. There it clearly states the purposes for the money raised.

“The primary goal of WFF Fund is a technical and financial support of radio-expeditions to national parks and the reserves of the world, included in the list of WFF program.”

That seems perfectly reasonable and open about what the cash raised will be used for. Anyone buying an award would see clearly where their cash will go. They may even put in for a grant to fund their own expedition.

But that is not was the UK representative’s site says.

“World Flora Fauna (WFF) is an International Award Program which aims to unite nature conservation for Flora Fauna and Amateur Radio.”

Which is certainly not what the parent organisation claims! The UK site is quite misleading and suggests to many who have looked at it that it is something to with conservation and that money raised is supporting RSPB and The National Trust, two very high profile charities in the UK.

What is more surprising is that the main WFF site, produced by Russians, has clearer, more understandable English than a site published by an Englishman! Well he’s from Yorkshire so I suppose that explains it! :slight_smile: Moreover had Roger G0TRB bothered to post a link to the main WFF rather than posting what was essentially meaningless words unless you already knew about WFF then most of the postings on here today would not have happened.

hint: tune to an other frequency … we have enough.

I think the problem was WFF chasers tuning away from where they usual hang out to where SOTA ops operate. The resulting piles up causing grief to all involved.

And it doesn’t justify a malicious postings under Walt’s call on the DXcluster. Which is probably traceable if anyone could be bothered.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Quote.

Moreover had Roger G0TRB bothered to post a link to the main WFF rather than posting what was essentially meaningless words unless you already knew about WFF then most of the postings on here today would not have happened.

I see the thread has tacken another turn from cluster to have a go at someone mainly me yet again so while you are all having a dig at me then someone else is being left alone.

The link was so interested people could do it them selfs by pressing buttons on the site I had found as I was busy doing other things including putting spots on for G4WSB so to help other chasers .

G0TRB

In reply to thread:

I don’t like the way this thread is developing.

It is closed.

Brian G8ADD