Do you fix your antenna to the summit cross?

Thanks to the topic starter for a very important and difficult topic!
Climbing for activation to frequently visited peaks, we, as educated and intelligent people, respect the interests of other climbers. To most people, antennas, radios are completely alien and incomprehensible, unfortunately. Although everyone, including a religious person, also uses the radio - a mobile phone …
If the situation allows, I always try patiently and in simple words to explain to people the essence of our hobby and the importance of radio for every person in general.
To my joy, people who climbed to the top with smiles on their faces and with kindness in their hearts usually understand me.
And those who go to the mountains only for a beautiful photo or for sporting achievement will leave the summit and will soon forget both the antennas and the beauty around and the mountain itself. This is their choice.
For all my activations in the Southern Urals, only two times were Сrosses at summits. Both times, something stopped me from trying to use Сrosses to fix the antenna. Perhaps, in my soul the “old” and convinced radioman has not only wires and radio components))
I spent a large part of my life in the midst of mountains and nature, and began to consider all nature around me divine and sacred. I think that to go up to the summit, put on it a beautiful antenna, talk on radio waves with friends with a hobby is also a thing pleasing to God. It is important, it seems to me, not to leave behind any traces …
Of course, I do not at all consider my opinion to be right or true.
73!
Vlad
RX9WT

6 Likes

Most people are reasonable and on occasion I have been asked to share the incoming audio with people on a summit. On Great Gable G/LD-005 a guy came and sat by me in the mist and I took my headphones off and turned the audio up. It was great to share the experience. He left knowing a lot more about amateur radio and SOTA.

On the other hand, I have met a couple of people on the hills who were positively negative towards my activity. On Y Garn GW/NW-004 a fell runner came over to me and complained about me having erected a 6el 70cm yagi on the summit - “technology in the wilderness” - he got shouted down by other people on the summit. On Binsey G/LD-041 a woman mumbled something and then asked, “you’re not going to leave that here are you?” Thankfully in almost 600 activations (SOTA and HEMA) these are the only two negative encounters. :grinning:

3 Likes

Now that you mention that, I remember having been asked by someone if I was going to leave my mast permanently fitted there. My answer was obviously negative and then no more worries were expressed. I’ve never found any criticism about my SOTA activity, just the contrary, all the people I meet and explain about our SOTA activity, express their surprise because they didn’t even suspect about such a cool activity and many really enjoy and like it when they hear the traffic on the bands through my spare “guests or visitors” earbuds.
I can understand when landowners get worried and angry because I guess they must have had to face and fight so many people trying to abuse… Perhaps, they have even have to deal with illegal installations of mobile phone repeaters or emergency repeaters or any sort of radio repeater for professional use by construction work companies or sport events and stuff like that.
A white flag attitude along with a smile and a friendly, nice explanation of what we are doing will usually guarantee others respect and our success.

Guru

2 Likes

Unless he was naked and without navigational aids then he too was bringing technology into the wilderness. Hypocrisy, ignorance and aggressiveness are a toxic combination.

4 Likes

When I activated the summit last year, I noticed a sign in French at the entrance of the parking lot saying Forbidden for amateur radios" and some other activities I don’t remember. I then walked across the meadow to the far end to the fence, where the restaurant was not visible any more.

73 Jens

Don’t forget the woman on Cuilags (GM/SI-097) who was most affronted that someone else should arrive on such a remote summit while she was there!

(IIRC the only encounter with any other walkers on the whole tour of all the Orkney summits… )

Did it also say “The 60-metre band” ?

1 Like

:sunny: :smiley: :sunny:

that’s exactly how i think a sota activator should behave on the summit … i never use the summit cross on my activations and i always operate with headphones plugged in. why should i annoy other hikers who mostly walk up to have a bit of silence on the mountains with the noise coming out of the speaker?

if there is really nothing available for mounting the mast i use this:

73 martin, oe5reo

Not on the cross but near. In my defence, massive AZ with no quiet solitude due to roads and gliding club/airfield within AZ. And the seat was comfortable :blush:

Sensitively done I’d say Steve… Looks like you’re set up along the line of the fence… always a useful trick to minimise impact and avoid the chance of a passer by tripping over your guys or garroting him/herself on the antenna… So long as you avoid any stiles of course!

I’ve activated that summit three times Paul. Apart from other hams (DF2GN, DM7RM) and glider people in the distance. The only other person I’ve seen up there, was a Shepherd (all 3 times).

1 Like

Reminds me at Hummelsberg DM/BW-228… is it?

73 Armin

Yes Armin, 10/10 Hummelsberg. Nice view of the Lemberg from there. A nice weizenbier in the Klippeneck hotel afterwards :+1::+1::+1:

Well she had an excuse - she was a Glaswegian. :grin:

You don’t mention their darn dogs that trample your coax, your rig and hunt for food in your backpack. :angry:

From all the veneration that the DM summits are getting, I suppose I’d better book a ferry. :grinning:

1 Like

Better do it quickly - you might need a visa soon.

1 Like

Another issue is the people who wants take a pic with the cross or the trig point, they prefer make It alone, I supose.

I always fit my rod un a trig point or iron Cross, It is for a no more than 1:30-2 hours and I don’t think It is a sacrilege.

There is a summits without nothing no fit the fishing rod, then, I use a sotabeams guying piece to fit three lines .

I agree with what has been already said. IIRC, I used the summit cross only three times when I was absolutely sure no one else would reach the summit while I’m there (very remote place, difficult ascent, including climbing). Usually I try to keep away from the crowded cross/ trig point and set up some distance away.
There is yet another reason for not using the summit cross: Some of them are large and have lightning rods attached or are even made of metal. It would not be a good idea to attach a vertical antenna to a large vertical conductor.

73, Roman - DL3TU

1 Like

I’ll check that for you when I’ll activate this summit the next time :slight_smile:

I know it was off-topic but that was my (not very funny) joke about the French authorities taking so long to permit radio amateurs in France access to the 60m band.

They even quoted from a famous French fable telling French amateurs to be patient …

As far as I know France still does not have 60m - what a pity.