Do We Really Need This (Bit OT)

Years ago, I didn’t have a view on wind farms, however, on returning from Scotland last year, I drove past a huge wind farm which was under construction (can’t remember the exact location.)

Seeing massive amounts of forest being chopped down to accommodate dozens and dozens of windmills, didn’t sit very comfortably with me.

Today, this was announced…

When I activated GW/NW-007 Aran Fawddwy, with Dave M0TUB, he asked me to take a look at the views. Quite frankly, they were breathtaking, certainly the best I’ve seen and possibly some of the finest in the country!

Maybe I’m becoming a bit senile in my old age, but when I activate a summit, do I really wish to be faced by hundreds of windmills?

One wonders, just how much more of the countryside needs to be sacrificed to feed the greed of energy companies!

I suspect, this proposed Welsh wind farm development is going to run into considerable protests and the company wishing to build it will have a big fight on their hands.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Fossil fuels rapidly running out, nobody wants nuclear - so what`s the alternative?

In reply to 2E0YYY:

“Maybe I’m becoming a bit senile in my old age, but when I activate a summit, do I really wish to be faced by hundreds of windmills?”

Only if they let me put my antenna on the top :wink:

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Fossil fuels rapidly running out, nobody wants nuclear - so what`s the
alternative?

Solar panels is one way to go, Steve. Shame a lot of the incentive seems to have been taken away, though.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Solar power converters give as much interferance as plasma tv’s as cost cutting with no filters fitted just cheap imports, so not long before the end of radio if it carries on with these bright ideas . There is still plenty of fossil fuels about dont belive the B S .

G0TRB

In reply to G0TRB:

There is still plenty of fossil fuels about…

That may be true Roger, but using them causes the global warming we have got accustomed to.

It really beggars belief that the UK as an island nation cannot sort this out - wind and wave power out at sea is the way to go… and while we are at it, we need to sort out the drought issue by building de-salination plants. Ah, too expensive they all cry as the power and water companies maximise their profits to feed the greed of their executives and their shareholders.

As for windfarms on land, I don’t really mind them as long as they aren’t everywhere you look and are not those ugly two blade propeller types. Give me three blades any day, they look sooooo much better. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

It sounds like we will end up as a third world country at this rate no manufactoring any more just a service industry mass unemployment and the powers that be claiming all the benefits .

G0TRB

In reply to G4OIG:

That may be true Roger, but using them causes the global warming we
have got accustomed to.

Not true apparently. According to the BBC website yesterday, global warming is caused by dinosaurs farting! See http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792 for the story.

Quite how they proved it, and how we’re supposed to reverse its effects remains unclear.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G0TRB:

In reply to G4OIG:

It sounds like we will end up as a third world country at this rate no
manufactoring any more just a service industry mass unemployment and
the powers that be claiming all the benefits .

With the mountain of debt this country is saddled with, debt which our great grand children will be paying back, to pretend we are one of the worlds richest countries, is at best crazy.

Does anyone else remember the 60’s and 70’s, when the discovery of North Sea oil and gas was going to be this country’s salvation? Petrol was going to be 2 bob a gallon and gas would be almost free. Yeah right. One wonders how successive governments have been allowed to squander the billions of revenue raised from one of our few (diminishing) assets :frowning:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I must admit the idea of de-foresting to put them up is unsavoury, but I don’t mind them, I can see a few from my home and they don’t alarm me as much as a local coal/gas or nuclear power station would.

I’m just thinking about what harm they do when up, I suppose birds might fly into them. There’s a chunk of concrete at the bottom of them too. When they are decommisioned that could be used to build sustainable housing when the population of the uk has gone through the roof.

We’re all doomed you know.

73, Ian.

I was considering a project which would harness hot air, but I’m not sure I have the energy for it.
Frank

In reply to G3RMD:

ROTFL Frank!

Tom M1EYP

Oh dear, somebody has let a gaggle of rabid Daily Mail readers access the forum.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3RMD:

I was considering a project which would harness hot air, but I’m not
sure I have the energy for it.
Frank

you could always get some of the chasers to help they seem to have a lot to spare . Call it the windbag scheme.

G0TRB

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Dave

You’d need very good eyesight to see Port Talbot from Aran Fawddwy :wink: And I suspect the view would be somewhat obscured by the smog from the steel mills…

Never seen a forest cut down to site a windfarm, but maybe it happens. What I find shocking is that vital resources for the British people have been entrusted to the profit-led whims of international companies. Our heritage has been squandered at the altars of dogma and a quick buck.

Whatever, think I’d rather have windfarms than fracking…

oops Amateur Radio is supposed to be apolitical better get off me soapbox :-s

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G3VQO:

Frankly, Les, its a stupid error. The residence time of CH4 in the atmosphere is eight years, it breaks down to CO2 and H2O, the residence time of H2O is nine days and the residence time of CO2 is ~200 years - it may have been significantly longer in the mesozoic, as the oceans were several degrees warmer the solubility of CO2 would have been less, plus the removal of CO2 by weathering of rocks would be less due to a shortage of active orogenic belts. The result is that the effects of CO2 dominate. Before anybody points out that there is a difference between residence time and half-life, I know but I’m trying to keep the point simple!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

residence time of H2O is nine days

I suspect it’s a lot shorter when Gerald and I are out activating, there is usually water pouring from the skies in huge quantities…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Some thoughts from Bob WB4APR on this

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G1INK:
Hydro is the answer.

Does’nt blot the landscape with huge windmills…and the trout fishing is generally better too!

In reply to MM0FMF:

Oh dear, somebody has let a gaggle of rabid Daily Mail readers access
the forum.

Indeed. Two fallacies have been posted in this thread:

(1) Nobody wants nuclear power.

(2) There is man-made global warming.

:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)