Do activators want to be chased on multiple bands?

Hello Takeo, your guess is absolutely right, I was looking at your uploaded log, thank you for the contact and the feedback.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had this happen a few times. I assume - maybe due to QSB or QRM - that the chaser didnā€™t hear my final over especially if he just gave a 339 report. In which case, the second time around Iā€™ll shoot back with a single over with callsign, report, 73 tu e e

Yes please!

3 Likes

Chase away! I had a fun day a while back where F4WBN chased me on just about every band that I tried. At least four.

2 Likes

Iā€™m OK with thatā€¦says the guy who has worked the same station on 16 different bands from the same summit a few timesā€¦seriouslyā€¦

But Iā€™m a sick puppyā€¦

Pete
WA7JTM 160M-1296 MHz

2 Likes

I agree. Iā€™m happy to log chasers on different bands.
Hearing Christian, F4WBN, weak and grainy on 20 and 17, then stronger on 15, then loud and normal tone of 12 is a propagation study unto itself.
Aleksander, S57S, telling me I was not audible short path on 17 and 15, then calling me long path; thrilling! Or when he was S9+ on 10 CW and asked for an SSB QSO. Happy to oblige!
Iā€™m finding it hard to spend time on the low bands with so much activity hitting the 29 MHz bumper. More time on the summit is a solution.
72, David N6AN

2 Likes

Chase me as often as you like as long as youā€™re not interfering with other chasers.
like @AJ6KZ, Iā€™ve had F4WBN work me on multiple bands in a single activation.

I often start at 10m and work my way down, mixing in VHF FM along the way. If you can hear me, give me a shout, it helps me check the effectiveness of the antenna and band.

Chris

1 Like

Re: ā€œDo ā€œIā€ (chaser) REALLY need to chase the same summit on other bands?ā€
Personally, I donā€™t. But, I, for one, want to tell ā€œthe other endā€ that their signal is travelling a long way and simply acknowledge that they are being heard in ZL and their setup IS WORKING on that and other bands. Exactly what Chris said above - ā€œit helps ā€œhimā€ check the effectiveness of the antenna and band.ā€

4 Likes

This is a great question. I know my hikes are often very long and, this time of year, the hours of daylight are starting to become significantly fewer. Looking at my logs I realize there are more and more with 5-7 contacts, indicating it was going to be a long or slow path down from the summit and, potentially, a long drive home.

I am in agreement with @KR7RK and @AC0PR. Repeat contacts on a different band are welcome so long as there is not a pile-up. If thereā€™s no pile up, a repeat contact might attract attention through there being activity. In other words, we can learn something through a repeat contact and, if the activation is going slowly at that point, we can help other chasers find me.

Please join in if thereā€™s no plie-up.
VA7SGY

4 Likes

Hola!
As a regular chaser I only call on severals bands to the activators on the other side of the pond. It is a way, I think, to let them know that their signal arrives in other bands than the one we have made QSO.
I hope not to bother.

73 de EA4R Alf

All QSO are welcome, even if double triple or more. By the way it change nothing to send the file in the database. It is not a surchage of work. QSO is QSO 73ā€™s Bob

2 Likes

Maybe because of the 5 Band DXCC Awardā€¦

2 Likes

On my October 28 JA/HG-280 activation, you chased me for the 100th time.
And if you hear me in other bands, even if you have contacted me, donā€™t hesitate and call me!
VY TKS FER 100!
73 de JP3PPL

1 Like

That would open a new chapter about the awards and about ham radio being too competitiveā€¦

1 Like

Yes and no.
If I am on an alpine summit or in winter conditions I donā€™t want to have the same chasers come back on HF groundwave after we had a 2m QSO.
Just does not make any sense and also does not bring any additional benefits regarding the SOTA programm.
On a nice wx day I am happy to take any calls and will work the pile-up.

Joe

1 Like