During the 2019 Perseids maximum I managed to complete a random MS QSO on 144 MHz. On the 13th August at 1139z final rogers were received from YU7ON in KN04ax. Mode was FSK441. My set up was 50 W from an FT-857 into 2x5 elements DK7ZB 5 m above ground level. I used my contest callsign DP9X.
YU7ON peaked exceptionally strong at 48 (burst > 20 s at S 6/7). However, at the time I started sending the report he was ‘only’ 37 and so I didn’t change the numbers during the QSO. The time zone on my tablet was Dakar. Must have messed up the hours while synchronising the computer with the GPS time.
The QSO was rather tough or let’s say boring work. I was QRV on the summit from 0730z and so it took four hours for the first QSO to come to the log. In the morning I however decoded a bunch of strong G, F, and HB9 stations via tropo, but wasn’t very keen to call them. We all wanted to make MS contacts, not tropo, didn’t we? Later on, good bursts from LZ, YO, EA5, and I were heard, but no QSO made.
This was the third attempt to complete a SOTA MS QSO: First try in 2017, when all DM/NS region was overcast during the Perseids maximum, but my YL insisted in having clear skies if I wanted her to join me that night. Of course I did! So we had to go north where the sky was clearer in order to watch the Perseids and make a MS contact, but there is no SOTA reference up the North. In August 2018 on the day before the Perseids maximum, I stepped into a thistle while deploying my station to check if everything’s working. The invisible thorn that could not be removed from my foot caused a proper inflammation and so I had to cancel the planned activation the next day.
Next aim is to qualify a summit on MS.