DM/NS-160 & 127: APRS SOTA vs aprés SOTA

What makes you say that Steve I was always under the impression that JB and JD were Bourbons?

JD = Tennessee Whiskey - a different beast.

Except…

The product meets the regulatory criteria for classification as a straight bourbon, though the company disavows this classification and markets it simply as Tennessee whiskey rather than as Tennessee bourbon. As defined in the North American Free Trade Agreement, Tennessee Whiskey is classified as a straight bourbon authorized to be produced in the state of Tennessee.

So it’s a Bourbon for export purposes.

I do like my single malts but must admit I enjoyed a couple of Buffalo Trace & Makers Mark bourbons last night in our local JDW establishment.

Would you rate that bourbon Steve? They have it in the local supermarket.

I really like it. Makes a change to the standard fare of Jim Beam or Wild Turkey.

Not being a spirits drinking man but at this time of year, I would have expected Pom (@DG7AC) to mention Glühwein for consumption during a SOTA activation in the snow - it certainly used to help me get back down the mountain quicker when I used to ski!

Ed.

Personally I’m more of a Jagertee man myself.

Woods on Summits pt. 5

22 Feb 2015

DM/NS-160 Tafelberg 395 m
On my activation before I couldn’t trim my vertical to 10 m so I put it up in my backyard the day before this activation to find out the reason but it seemed to work then! Even when I changed its location or put the radials to another angle I could adjust it easily to 10 m. So I haven’t changed anything on it and just packed it for another activation. Would it actually work on the summit?

Shack on DM/NS-160

Again, this summit is vertical owner’s nightmare with its beech grove. We weren’t able to build a proper shack on the viewtower Tafelturm as there already was a group of ‘hikers’. It seemed they were just here to get boozed. No way to operate close to them.
The ant was again easily tuned to 10 m but the band was quiet. But I must admit 1030z is a bit too early for 10 during winter. So I qsy’d to 17 m but signals were not as strong as expected.

View from Tafelturm

Chaos on 20 m. It took me ages to get through to EC2AG/p for an s2s. Later on YL confirmed I tried for about ten minutes. Another s2s with YO6PIB/p was easily made. EU SOTA family collecting their points. Pencil broke while working the pileup. Even worse, this already was the spare pencil. Good luck, YL had a spare spare-pencil. Special call sign EB2EB2EB2 getting on my nerves.
No opening on 10 but my time will come.

Mmfff! This was the spare pencil!

DM/NS-127 Thüster Berg 441 m

Panoramic view from Lönsturm

Lönsturm on Thüster Berg / Cliffs / Adjusting the vertical

No boozed group on Thüster Berg so we could build the shack on the viewtower Lönsturm. Didn’t expect a Lönsturm here as Hermann Löns was a popular poet from the northern lowlands in the late 19th century. This is the most southern Löns site I’ve seen. Every day you learn something new…

Best condx for a radio amateur here: the viewing platform lifts the antenna over the trees, is big enough to build a shack on it and has a metal rail forming a circle of 6 m in diameter. 10 m was full of strong signals from Africa, North and South America. Some of the stations found their way to my log and at last I was satisfied with the antenna’s performance. On 20 m G0RQL was the last station of the pileup and Don told me there was a VE2/p cq’ing from a summit some kHz up. I qsy’d but couldn’t read the Canadian, too bad.

Common rail antenna