DM/BW-846 on Fri, March 27th

Hi everyone,

we do not have a curfew yet and with the announced weather the activation is a welcome change.
Since the burg is closed, I expect that the place will be rather deserted. This is also very welcome.
I try to find a place with a good take off towards NA and shall listen on 20m (and possibly 17m) for DX.

cu tmw,
Roman - DL3TU

Edit: Possibly my daughter Marie (10 yrs) will accompany me on the tour. In which case, she might be QRV under the training call sign DN3TU/p on 20m SSB.
Since she has no radio experience I would like to ask for patience.

2 Likes

Seems like the perfect time to activate Hohenzollern - with no crowds. Hope it works out and I will be listening for you.

73, pat

1 Like

I was awake, but I think Far West Texas was not possible from your location, I did not hear anything.

I may have to try that summit next time I am DL/KD5KC.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC – El Paso, TX.

1 Like

Thanks Mike!
I believe condx were not on my side today. Not a single RBN station from the U.S. did pick me up on 20 CW (see RBN - Reverse Beacon Network)
We had deep QSB and only four EU station went into the log on 20 CW. I didn’t even try SSB.

Maybe you can try a combination of visiting the castle and activating the summit?

73, Roman - DL3TU

I was a soldier in Schweinfurt long ago. I married a German (look up N5NHC on QRZ). Her mother is still alive, and when we go over we stay 2-1/2 to 4 weeks. My wife spends all the time in her mother’s kitchen. I go out partying and activating. My wife’s sister is DL1NLG, brother-in-law is DG7NFV, oldest nephew is DO5AL. We have a lot of fun. And when I go over, everyone wants a call sign hat!!

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC – El Paso, Texas.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

here is the activation report of today’s activation:

Wx: sunny, approx. 11°C, Moderate wind
Walking time: approx. 30 min. up/ 15 min. down
Ascent/ descent: approx. 140 vertical metres

Conditions were not that good on the higher bands with very deep QSB even on 40m. 60m was reliable but crowded. k = 1, SFI = 70

Rig: KX3 / 10W, 2.9Ah AGM battery, Palm Pico Paddle
Ant: 22 m end fed wire in the trees with QRP L- Tuner .

4 CW QSOs on 20m
4 CW QSOs on 30m
9 CW QSOs on 40m
20 SSB QSOs on 40m
20 CW QSOs on 60m
3 SSB QSOs on 60m

Thanks for the QSOs!
cu from the next one.
73, Roman - DL3TU

Hi Roman

Happy here to have been one of your S2S contacts yesterday from one of my home hills Bireggwald, HB/LU-029. My EFHW antenna is not made for 60 m, but it was the only band to catch you and went well – thanks.

Had been there three years ago in my SOTA starting period and enjoyed this special place. So a second thanks for your SOTA Complete for this one – much appreciated! :+1:

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

Hohenzollern under regular conditions in 2017 . . .

. . . and your partner summit yesterday, kept free with some traffic signs:

1 Like

Thanks Markus,

it was a pleasure talking to you from Hohenzollern (one of my local summits). Your signal was loud despite your compromise antenna. 60m seems to become the main band for SOTA in central EU. I had 23 QSOs - an all time record!

The atmosphere at the closed castle was special: No tourists, just a few locals on their bicycles and a couple of hikers.

Our QTH was on the other side of the castle, near the bus stop. The footpath where you set up three years ago was blocked due to construction works.

Always a pleasure talking to you! Stay safe and cu agn!
vy 73, Roman - DL3TU

2 Likes