DL/AL-277 - wasn't this an OE summit as well?

I’m looking to activate a new summit (for me) and in my notes, I have that DL/AL-277 is a dual-summit (i.e. it is right on the border between two countries and had two SOTA Summit codes). I can’t find the summit in the OE section of SOTAmaps however. Has it been deleted? Given that the SOTA map indicates DL/AL-277 as being on the Austrain side of the border, I would have expected the DL summit to have been removed and the OE one left, if that’s what has happenned. Perhaps the coordinates in the data base are inaccurate for this summit and the actual peak is in DL?

In any case, I’d really like to activate a dual-summit if they still exist in SOTA on the German/Austrian border - any suggestions? It needs to be relatively easy to get to - i.e. no rock climbing involved please.

Regards, Ed DD5LP.

Hi Ed

Roll up, rollup, get them while you can! I don’t know what happened to the OE side of DL/AL-277 - the OE AM is the best guy to ask.

You could activate the dual summits on DL/KW-008 with OE/TI-293 Westliche Karwenelspitze though, accessible via a cable car and then a short walk and a short easy scramble with a wire rope to hold on to. The other dual summits nearby are Suzleklammspitze DL/KW-004 and OE/TI-628. These can be reach using a Klettersteig way from DL/KW-008, not rock climbing but requiring a head for heights and a fair amount of dexterity.
http://catterblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-mittenwalder-klettersteig-ridge.html

73 Phil

All dual summits are being removed, after all there is only one mountain, getting extra points from stepping across an invisible line makes no sense. The relevant rule reads:

1. Where a summit lies upon the boundary of more than one Association, it can be included
    in the summit list of only one Association. The Association with the largest area of Activation
    Zone within its boundary will be the Association that the summit will be allocated to ;
    although Activation may take place from anywhere within the Activation Zone. The callsign
    used will reflect the DXCC entity in which the Activation takes place.

In practice the decision as to which country retains the summit is left to negotiation between the AMs involved and the above rule is applied if they cannot come to an agreement.

Brian

It has been grinded down on demand of SOTA MT. The Austrian parts of DL/AL-092 and DL/AL-097 likewise.

DL/AL-100 and DL/AL-087 will become Austrian Summits exclusively - for compensation. This will take a little bit more effort since huge amounts of material have to be dug, moved and filled up again.

73 Bernhard DL4CW

2 Likes

Never mind, Bernhard, we can help by sending you a wooden spoon! :smile:

Brian

you’re so kind, Brian! Exactly the kind of help I’d have expected :slight_smile:

73 Bernhard DL4CW

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Is there a schedule for all of the duplicated summits to be removed? I would have liked to at least experence activating one - not for the points, rather just for the novalty !

Phil, I don’t think I’d be up for the klettersteig, So the one with the cable car and walk sounds good (if it’s still valid).

Hmm, I’m happy to take a couple of big spades Bernard, so we can move the Austrian summits into Germany if you like (note sure what the parks authorities are going to say though). Actually a couple of sticks of TNT should make the work a lot easier - JUST JOKING GUYS!!

Ed DD5LP.

You would have to check with the relevant AMs, I’m afraid.

Brian

[quote=“DD5LP, post:1, topic:10691”]
I’m looking to activate a new summit (for me) and in my notes, I have that DL/AL-277 is a dual-summit (i.e. it is right on the border between two countries and had two SOTA Summit codes). I can’t find the summit in the OE section of SOTAmaps however. Has it been deleted? Given that the SOTA map indicates DL/AL-277 as being on the Austrain side of the border, I would have expected the DL summit to have been removed and the OE one left, if that’s what has happenned. Perhaps the coordinates in the data base are inaccurate for this summit and the actual peak is in DL?
[/quote]As far as I can tell there this summit has never had a reference in OE. It can’t have been removed either as we have only just started the discussions with the other AMs around OE and the results will only be included in the next update, i.e. all the dual-reference summits along the Austrian borders will still be available until the end of 2015.

Sylvia OE5YYN
SOTA AM OE

Sorry, wrong information. It seems to have been removed in 2011, i.e. long before my time ;-)).

Sylvia OE5YYN