Digital Activations

Has anyone any experience in using the HF digital modes on a hilltop?

I can see a dis-advantage of having to carry more weight with a laptop/netbook as well as the radio gear. Could be an idea for the 1 pointers??

73 de mm6adr

In reply to MM6ADR:

Yes.

Not worth the agro to be honest. Couldn’t see the screen in the sun and had to carry an extra kg or so. It was nice to get 4 PSK-31 contacts but I doubt I’ll do it again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/2483108545/

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM6ADR:

Has anyone any experience in using the HF digital modes on a hilltop?

Works even for 10 pointers though I do mostly cw and I do not know any active chasers on digi.

Imgur

The wind can be a problem for the setup above, since the microphone picks it too.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks for the info Andy.

Did you find the 5W was sufficient to get the qso’s?
What interface have you got for the 817 or is it homebrew?
What band and antenna did you try it on?

ADRIAN

In reply to F5VGL:

I started PSK31 last month from F/NO-007; had on 10MHz a nice QSO with Feri,HA7UL who is also a digi SOTA activator.
Next friday (and maybe sunday), I hope to be again on air on PSK before CW.
(FT817 + Bux com interface and MMVARI soft on a 1.4kg netbook)

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Hello all
I recently built a NuePSK modem. If I can find the trouble in it, I’ll try it for sure in my next activation.

JP VA2SG

In reply to MM6ADR:

Did you find the 5W was sufficient to get the qso’s?

More than enough. Far too many people run massive powers on PSK31 when it’s not needed. QRP is ever so effective for narrow bandwidth modes like PSK31.

What interface have you got for the 817 or is it homebrew?

Homebrew of course. It’s only a BC109, a resistor and two diodes with a cheap USB<>RS232 dongle.

What band and antenna did you try it on?

60m and inverted V.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I wonder if anyone has tried the app thats available for the iphone on a sota activation, it would be a lot easier to carry than a laptop or netbook, dont know about interfacing though…

My brother LA1CNA Roar has activated LA/TM-049 with CW from computer and SSTV with small computer and FT817 and dipole antenna.