Deep dive into CalTopo (Online Zoom Class)

I will be hosting a multi-session class on the use of CalTopo as a planning tool for SOTA activations or really any of your adventures. CalTopo is a fantastic online mapping tool that has features that go far beyond most mapping tools and many of these are particularly useful for SOTA. CalTopo is North American-centric but I have used it for trips out of the country (or for vicariously following along with trip reports or YouTube videos). :grin:

This will be a soups to nuts discussion of CalTopo starting with the basics and going to the more advanced features, as well as tips and tricks that I have learned over the years. I am always finding new features in CalTopo to take advantage of and maybe you can share things that you have learned as well. I will cover both the website based version for trip planning as well as using the mobile app in the field. The vast majority of what I will show you is available with a free account, but I will also discuss the features and benefits of the paid subscription levels.

There is a lot to cover and the agenda will be somewhat fluid, but each session will be around an hour in length. I expect that we will have at least three full sessions with an additional session to wrap tings up and answer additional questions from the group. The classes will be recorded and posted online in case you miss a week or need to refer back to them later. Zoom meetings will be open 30 minutes before the scheduled class, so drop in for general SOTA banter before the class.

January 18th, 2023, 8 p.m. EST - Intro to CalTopo - History, account options, settings and basic features - everything that you need to get started
February 1st, 2023, 8 p.m. EST - Organization and Advanced Features
February 8th, 2023, 8 p.m. EST - More Advanced Features and Mobile App
February 15th, 2023, 8 p.m. EST - Discussion and follow up

If you are interested in attending, please send me a DM or email the address on my QRZ page and I will send you the Zoom link.

73, pat - ww4d

3 Likes

And just an FYI if you are planning on attending, go ahead and make sure your Zoom client is up to date. My Clemson Zoom account enforces a minimum version at the start of each semester so if you arenโ€™t on at least version 5.13.3, you wonโ€™t be able to join the meeting.

73, pat - ww4d

1 Like

For anyone interested in learning more about CalTopo, here are the recording for these sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvKixHk9mLAgwkuzgI4xW0tPthlH2-2uk

73, pat - ww4d

2 Likes