DD5LP Ed a Mountain goat now!

Congratulations Ed! I still remember the very enjoyable evening we all spent at Friedrichshafen 2019.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

Congrats Ed!
Getting the “MG” in our DL-Association is very hard and long way.
And doing that in only SSB is a bit harder :+1:
Well, I hope for the first S2S QSO with you, now I take my mic always with me :sunglasses:

73, Mario DJ2MX (9A4MX,N0MX,E73DX)

1 Like

. . . but you have your mic always with you already for me, yes? :wink:

73, Markus

1 Like

Congratulations Ed !

73 De VE6JTW

Hi Mario, Yes and eventually we’ll get to that planned “eyeball QSO” !
73 Ed.

2 Likes

Good on you Ed.

Cheers, Wal

Well done Ed. I remember working you and lunch after your first activation of Mt Taylor. Good to see you made Mountain Goat
73 Ian VK1DI

2 Likes

Well done Ed.

I can recall that my first international S2S contact was with you:
2014-04-20 05:41 VK3PF/P DD5LP/P DL/BE-094 Irschenhausen VK3/VE-090 Mt Jack Range 14MHz SSB 16197 km

Keep up the good work and I hope that we can have more S2S contacts.

Cheers,

Peter VK3PF

4 Likes

Congrats on the MG Ed.

Can you email me some hi-res originals of the photos for a publicity release? Probably the summit area/bench/gear one, the one of you, and the cake!

Excellent blog btw.

1 Like

Congratulations, Ed. for the MT.
I hope to hear you often and wish a lot
Continued success.
Paul DL6FBK

Hallo Ed,

herzlichen Glückwunsch zur Bergziege! Mit dem hohen Anteil an DL-Bergen eine reife Leistung!

73 de Michael, DB7MM

Hallo Ed.
Gratuliere zur Bergziege :goat:
Danke auch für die S2S mit Dir.
Grüße Heinrich 73
IW3AGO

Hello Ed,
Congratulation for Mountain goat status!
Enjoyed the Arber activation with you.
But next time we should avoid the area by the chapel HIHI.

73 STEFAN DG4RBS

1 Like

Well done!
Congrats!

Ingo

1 Like

Congratulations Ed on Mountain Goat.
Great achievement and I know what its like to make the score with low value summits and sticking at it on the same summits every year. Which is not a bad thing to do as you get to know the land owners very well and they wish you well in the journey too. I hope you can keep going on another lap to make 2 times Mountain goat that is my goal now.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

2 Likes

Thanks all,

HI Ian,
In Bavaria, most lower SOTA summits are public access, having a holy cross or church on top of them, so no worry about farmer/owner permissions. Of the higher Alpen summits, some are relatively easy with cable cars or seat lifts helping you at least half of the way up, others you need to be a skilled mountaineer or at least a better hill walker than I am.

There are some areas where relatively easy summits bring in big point scores but these are a days drive away from here (you know similar to the low point scoring distant summits that you have in SA!).

2 x MG doesn’t really interest me. I’m already over 15x Shack Sloth so once I break that magic 1000 mark my interest falls off.

It’s nice to get out and simply operate portable but knowing that with a spot on SOTAWatch, I will get calls, some of which come from chasers who I have got to know over the years. Yesterday I activated Peissenberg DL/AM-001 again, for no points as I had already activated it twice this year but I managed contacts with a few long-time chasers, some of whom I have even met in person. I also managed a contact with Ron ZL4RMF in New Zealand and tried (unsuccessfully) for some contacts into VK3.

It’s nice to be able to go out and simply operate portable without having to worry about points.

73 Ed.

8 Likes

My Chaser log shows 1 QSO with VK2JI/P on 18/02/2014 (VK2/HU-093) and 53 QSOs with DD5LP/P on summits in Germany. Well done on getting the Goat!

73 Phil G4OBK

well done ed , thanks for all those summits.

This!

One of the great things about SOTA is even when you get to the top award levels, taking a radio up a mountain keeps appealing to most of the participants. There are not that many people who get to say MG and then give up SOTA and do something else. In most cases people keep activating. Maybe they go back and start doing all the lower score summits they bypassed when in their initial hunt for points. But the noticeable point is they keep activating and thus there are activations for chasers to chase.

I can’t remember if I’ve congratulated Ed on his goatship already but I’d like to thank him for making his observation public that SOTA remains fun irrespective of the points or awards you may or may not be chasing.

9 Likes

Ed, congratulations on achieving MG! It sounds like you’ve enjoyed the journey, which like any trip, is where most of the satisfaction derives.

I hope band conditions will improve sufficiently where I might be able to successfully chase you from here in the US midwest. I know I’ve got a mic or 2 around here somewhere…;-). GL with your future portable summit ops!

73 Paula k9ir

2 Likes