Database to SOTAWatch link

Please would someone advise me on the intention to restore the link between the Database and Sotawatch summits pages? The database is very good once again. I miss seeing the daily updated summary for each region or summit of interest.
best wishes

David 2E0DAI

In reply to 2E0DAI:

Hi David,

This has been posted on a number of thread now and I must admit its good to see your call as last one to activate the summits.

hope this is fixed soon as I feel it is an important part of SOTA when it comes to competing with others

Tony

In reply to DC7CCC:

Hi guys,

Happened to see this. Sorry, I had completely forgotten about it. Should be ok now.

However, can I ask that you read the paragraph under the post form to the reflector:

Likewise, discussion about the development of this facility and the website is welcome on the reflector, however, please also contact the webmaster direct if you need a response from him, especially in the case of reporting bugs, etc.

Please pop me a message if you see a problem. I can then get onto it fast.

73, Jon
GM4ZFZ

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the speedy fix, will certainly email direct if any issues come up.

Best 73

Tony

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Excellent Jon - many thanks for sorting this as I can once again see the progress I am making through the various regions. Helps focus the mind!

73, Gerald

In reply to GM4ZFZ:
Thank you Jon. Just the tonic!
Having past a chaser milestone a day or so ago, it is uniques [and speaking with our bold activators] that will sustain my interest. I can see my missing SOTA unique summits in England and Wales again.

I plead guilty as charged to not reading the small print, which lies a short scroll off the bottom of the screen.
thanks again
David

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Oh joy! Life has purpose again! Many thanks Jon.

And one slightly arcane request - would it be possible to make the Distance Search feature work for a range rather than starting at “ground zero”? It would be very convenient for me (and perhaps make less work for the database!)to be able to specify say 200km to 300km radius rather than start from 0km every time.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Paul,

And one slightly arcane request - would it be possible to make the
Distance Search feature work for a range rather than starting at
“ground zero”? It would be very convenient for me (and
perhaps make less work for the database!)to be able to specify say
200km to 300km radius rather than start from 0km every time.

Where exactly do you mean?

The distance search here Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day starts at 25km.

73, Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Hi Jon

Sorry about the lack of concision, I’ll try saying what I mean this time…

You have the right feature, what I’m requesting is the facility to input lower and upper radii to define a range of distances for which results would be returned, or to look at it another way to ignore summits closer to the origin than the specified minimum radius.

This would make the list more handleable for me - I frequently use it as a planning tool when prioritising summits to activate, but having already done all the summits within 200km of the home QTH (with one notable exception) I find myself scrolling through several pages worth of redundant info every time.

Hope that explains a bit better! I realise it’s a bit of a bizarre request that would probably only benefit the very few (if any) sharing my own predeliction for uniques and fetishistic planning regimes but if it could be done simply without causing you too much inconvenience I would be very appreciative!

Many thanks

73 de Paul G4MD

Morning Jon,

I think Paul means the opportunity to set a minimum as well as a maximum; ie you could search for summits that are within 300km of your home QTH, but also more than 200km away.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

Morning Jon,

I think Paul means the opportunity to set a minimum as well as a
maximum; ie you could search for summits that are within 300km of your
home QTH, but also more than 200km away.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that’s exactly what I was struggling to say…

Looks like we posted the explanation simultaneously Paul!

In reply to M1EYP:

Great minds, Tom ;-))

In reply to G4MD:

Can’t you just scroll down? :wink:

Seriously, it does sound like a VERY low priority task, if it is ever considered for implementation (unless, of course, it fits easily with some associated change).

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Paul,

I copy the list into Excel and delete those up to the minimum distance which for me is currently 249km, ignoring the IoW pair and THAT summit. This also allows the deletion of the summits that have been activated above the minimum distance parameter. Since I like to see where I’ve been as well as where I’m likely to be going, I keep a copy without any deletions. The hassle is keeping the tables up to date of course!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I copy the list into Excel and delete those up to the minimum distance
which for me is currently 249km, ignoring the IoW pair and THAT
summit.

I’ll be the one to ask… which is THAT summit? I take it, one not to be visited too often?

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

As you know, I use Martin M1MAJ’s excellent Google Earth .kml files to track my progress and plan future expeditions, I also use spreadsheets and (believe it or not in these hi - tech days) handwritten lists! All of these however require me to transfer, manipulate and regularly manually update the data. It would be very convenient to me to combine the advantages of the existing SOTAwatch system (automatic update, hyperlinks to summit info.) with the ability to concentrate attention on the useful information.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G3VQO:

In reply to G4MD:

Can’t you just scroll down? :wink:

Yes I can, and do. But I’m sure any maths teacher will tell you it’s standard practice when looking at a large range of data to limit the view to the area of concern. The data and changes to it have far greater impact when it’s not swamped by a sea of irrelevance.

Seriously, it does sound like a VERY low priority task, if it is ever
considered for implementation (unless, of course, it fits easily with
some associated change).

I only asked ever so timidly. I am extremely grateful for all that Jon does and continually marvel at the systems that he and Gary develop and administer on our behalf, and understand they have a huge workload but would have preferred a short posting or personal e-mail saying sorry it can’t be done to a public slapping :frowning:

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G4MD:

I do side your comment!

Norby

In reply to G4MD:

I only asked ever so timidly. I am extremely grateful for all that Jon
does and continually marvel at the systems that he and Gary develop
and administer on our behalf, and understand they have a huge workload
but would have preferred a short posting or personal e-mail saying
sorry it can’t be done to a public slapping :frowning:

Paul, please keep asking! I mean it. I may seem slow to respond sometimes. My work load is very variable. Sometimes I can find decent time for development, at other times it is a struggle to just do the minor things.

Les is just expressing his opinion and you shouldn’t read anything else into that except the fact that he is also probably trying to shield me a bit and that there are probably more significant things on the wish list.

I would hate for people to think that they couldn’t ask for new features. Indeed, I would want to actively encourage it. Just no promises on time-scales though :slight_smile:

73, Jon