Database Slog

As my chaser log gets bigger so it takes longer and longer to download to check. Today it was taking over 2.5 minutes each time and they call this broadband. When I checked I found two errors, M13EYP/P instead of MI3EYP/P and G0ASZ/p instead of G0AZS/P. Each time you delete an entry it reloads the log so that by the time I had deleted and re-entered the two lines it had taken about 15 minutes and the log page had been downloaded four times. I try to be as careful as I can but errors are inevitable particularly when I am tired after working the night shift. Not only is this a nuisance but a waste of bandwidth.

I believe the ability to edit log entries has been on the list of items “to do” for some time but may I suggest that the ability to download parts rather than the whole log might also help. I suggest the following time frames might be useful 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year as well as the complete log.

I like the new look to the website by the way.

Regards Steve GW7AAV 73

The timeframe idea for opening up a log sounds a good idea to me Steve. Gary may have a better solution though; I’ll see what he thinks.

The greater access to edit log entries is even more ‘yearned for’ with activator entries, especially with lots of activations that typically contain 50+ QSOs. Who would want to delete that and type it all in again? Of course, one can always download the TSV/CSV file, delete the activation record, edit the TSV/CSV file and upload the corrected activation file, but there seems something slightly unnatural and slightly dangerous about that method!

I know that Gary is beginning to consider an overhaul of the inner workings of the Database, so it could well be that these issues are already in hand.

Thanks for the feedback Steve, and great to work yourself and Helen from our unalerted unspotted summit this afternoon!

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW7AAV:

hi steve

just checked aprox download to screen times on stopwatch as follows.
this is not counting signing in. not checked but perhaps times vary with the amount of web usage etc. G4JZF is used as test because he has largest log .

GW0VMZ chaser log 16 seconds
GW0VMZ complete log 43 seconds
g4jzf chaser log 24 seconds
g4jzf complete log 57 seconds

73s alistair gw0vmz

In reply to GW0VMZ:

You must have a bit more speed than me on your Internet connection. It is a bit faster today 210 seconds for my complete log earlier. Oh by the way it is supposed to be a 8mB connection.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

I’m wondering if there is a problem at our exchange Steve, my chaser log just took an agonising 5 Mins 4 secs to appear on my screen.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Have you run one of the many online ADSL speed tests Steve. Whilst the results are variable, they are influenced by available bandwidth on the test server and the assorted routers between you and the ‘intarweb’, regular testing will show if your speed is degrading. A bit like keep an mpg log, weekly there’ll be variations but over a long period it will show a trend.

Andy
MM0FMF