Database Server Changeover

We’re going to switch to the new database server tomorrow evening 23-Sep-2013 at 2000Z. However, the switch over takes sometime to propagate around the internet.

First the old database server will be locked against further user updates at 1900Z. Shortly after this the database will be backed up and restored to the new server. There will be a new login page which will tell you that the server is locked.

AT 2000Z we will update the DNS. It can take between 24-48hrs for this to reach all DNS servers worldwide.

How will you know if it is OK for you to login? Easy, when you try to login you will see either the old server or new server depending on if you are seeing old or new DNS information. If you see a message on the login screen saying the database is locked you are seeing the old server. Try again in a few hours.

If you don’t see the message then you should be able to login.

The only thing that users need to do is to demonstrate a little patience during the switch over. :wink:

I’ll open this thread for comments once the switch over is complete. Please don’t email me about login problems until 48hrs after the start over the switch, i.e. after 25-Sep-2013 2000Z

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s working for me now via Munich, Edinburgh and Zurich based ISPs.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I am able to access the site from work, which I think uses a German based ISP.

It wasn’t working earlier today so looks like the DNS issue is at least partly fixed.

73 Andrew G4AFI

Can someone with DNS functioning to new server please post the IP address for www.sotadata.org.uk so the rest of us can access now?

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:
old address 95.215.224.166
new address 94.76.234.8

Of course, if there’s any sort of virtual hosting going on then the server will want to know the name, and complain if it gets a number…

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:

Thanks Rick! Of course as soon as you posted the info, DNS kicked in here so all is well.

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks Andy,

Working in VK now, no idea of the route but who cares?

Ron
VK3AFW/AX3AFW

In reply to MM0FMF:

The database was working not too long ago, now its down again. Ugh !

73 WX4ET,
Erik E. McCord

In reply to WX4ET:

Am I the only one that is not up? Cache cleared and everything.

In reply to MM0FMF:

All working here in S. Germany, and it’s super fast! - great job, team!

Rob
DM1CM

In reply to DM1CM:
1643 UTC
Got this when I went to enter chasing data:

Pete
WH6LE

In reply to WH6LE:
DAtabase came up earlier today and worked fine. Now getting an Internet Information Service screen IIS7. Haven’t noticed any other postings.
Pete

In reply to WH6LE:

In reply to DM1CM:
1643 UTC
Got this when I went to enter chasing data:

http://www.iis.net/

Pete
WH6LE I got the same thing Pete. Andy said it could take 24 to 48 hours for things to shake out on this end. Nice to hear you om. Hope you are recovering well. All the best. Scotty KG3W

In reply to KG3W:
Doing fine Scotty and hope to be back on a summit soon.

Ref the database…it was working earlier. I’m sure it will sort itself out.
Cheers
Pete

In reply to WH6LE:
Pete,

It’s great to hear you back and kickin.

I get the same IIS site.

Phil, NS7P

In reply to NS7P:

If sotadata.org.uk does not work, it is worth trying www.sotadata.org.uk, and vice versa. They should be the same, but they are cached independently so you get two chances. If you normally use one, the other is less likely to be cached.

In reply to M1MAJ:

This is exactly the state of one of my many connections to the net I can make.

sotadata.org.uk resolves to the new server.
www.sotadata.org.uk resolves to a holding page for IIS7 web server.

The change is propagating, just give it time.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I guess I didnt hit POST… but shortly after my first post, it came up. I just wanted to thank you for your hard work! It is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Kent, K9EZ

In reply to MM0FMF

sotadata.org.uk resolves to the new server.

Thanks for that Andy, my log is now up to date again despite my DNS not having updated yet on the official URL.

The new server does indeed seem faster.

Many thanks to all the unsung heroes in the background.

73 de Ken G3XQE

In reply to MM0FMF:

This is exactly the state of one of my many connections to the net I
can make.

I’ve just cured one of mine by restarting the browser.

The machine’s nameserver demonstrably had the correct new address, yet it still wasn’t working right. Flushing the Windows DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) did not help. But restarting Firefox did.

Sigh…