Database host having issues

Yes, the hosting company have a test account on the DB app so they can check if it’s fixed or not. Removing the ability to log in breaks their capability to test the setup as deployed.

It’s also difficult to say “I’ve not changed anything since 27-sep” if I changed something yesterday!

Just missing my post from 22 hours ago Rob, which explains all that.

Righty-ho!

1 Like

Doohh! - I failed to read many earlier messages, so I’m Mister Stupid today :grimacing:

Well, actually, errmmm…

1 Like

We know you’re doing and you’ll keep doing your best. You have our full support and recognition for your commitment and the great work that you and your MT mates are doing for us.

We understand that and although it’s easy to say but not so easy to put it in place, you shouldn’t be so because you’ve done and your doing what you can.

We’re sure whatever the issue, a fix will be found and implemented soon. It’s not the end of the world keeping our SOTA QSOs in our personnal paper or computer logs for some days. The scores can wait.

Don’t let this little problem interfere with your work and personal life more than what’s healthy and try to take it easy.

Take care and keep doing great!

Best 73 de Guru

6 Likes

I can only echo these sentiments. Maybe some sort of mass email might be in order to update the community at large. After 2-3 days a well worded message to inform and reassure the user base could calm things down. Thanks, Andy MM0FMF, for your patience and dedication during what I can only imagine to be a very trying time. I don’t mind waiting to submit my latest activation logs!

Cheers,
John

Change the lock on the door and hand out a key to the hosting company and keep one yourself?

Having this thread highlighted in a different colour at the top of the list would help people notice it. Heinz’s thread using capital letters lower down is much more visible. Hopefully more people will now hear the word.

Sorry Andy - I have only just seen your message to stop accessing the database. Guilty as charged!

Nick

Just a thought, As I know little bout this. If and when the Database gets repaired and there will be 1000’s of us wanting to update out Logs with all the contacts we have made while the DB has been down. Is this going to cause a problem or a overload with so many checking in and updating their logs… I know I got from 11 Oct to date to catch up on and I make a lot of contacts in a days time… As I am retired and in bad health and My Radio is about all I have to do… Do you for see any problem with so many of us log in and once to update out logs when it gets repaired… Please I know your very busy and NO hurry on a reply back if at all. … Tnx
Thanks Dow Pierce
Chaser in W4V

If everyone tries at the same time it will break. If at the point it misbehaves for someone they stopped and went away for a random time between 15 and 120mins then the problem of too many users at once would solve itself.

But the majority of people wont do that because they are selfish. They will think they are so important they must keep on trying. That’s human nature.

Also people wont believe an announcement so will also need to check it for themselves. They’ll log in “just to be sure” and maybe push it over the edge. Then they’ll report that :wink:

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

1 Like

I been a licensed Ham for 55 years so doing paper logs is not a new thing for me…
Maybe some order of log ins by countries or by calls or by areas. understand what your saying "majority of people wont do that because they are selfish. They will think they are so important they must keep on trying. That’s human nature. . I hate to see it crash due to overload after its fixed… I dont mind the wait… if I live long enough and if I dont it wasnt important…Good Luck on getting it working again… I have found a use for some OLD ARRL Log Books been on the shelf as of 70’s .
Okay thanks
Dow

1 Like

One suggestion would be for everyone to upload their log at a time related to their birth month. July = 7 O’Clock etc. This would at least spread it out over 12 hours. Just a thought.

Walt NE4TN

1 Like

I don’t think everyone would follow that rule though, Walt.

Another question - is manual entry worse for the system than CSV file uploads?

Ed.

DATABASE STATUS: should be fixed now.

The database should be working OK for people to commence using it normally. The key word is “should” because if everyone decides at once to try and load/enter logs at the same time then there will be problems.

A few things are still broken:

• summitslist.csv is missing and is not being auto-generated. This is not crucial and I’ll look into this.

• the mapping site data is missing and is not being auto-generated. It comes from the same code that generates summitslist.csv

But apart from that people can try it.

#But if you get an error message or you get sent to the logon prompt in the middle of doing something then stop and wait. Go and do something else for a random time of 15 to 120mins, before trying the database again. If it still fails after waiting then stop because there is something else broken that needs fixing.

Before you try to log QSOs etc., ask yourself “can this wait another day or so?” and if this answer is yes then wait.

1 Like

Think I will wait (Dow)

Think I’ll wait too…wait for any feedback from users as to if its worth moving forward yet.

Just to throw another spanner into the works - the database being down has also stopped me from checking awards, but, because I am on a three line whip to attend a wedding this weekend, I will refrain until next week.

Best excuse I have had for sending out award claims late :wink:

1 Like

I was alerted to the issue by a SOTA Activation partner. I confess I would not have read the reflector. Maybe we all can tell other Activators and spread the word

Maybe we can spread the word, but slowly… We need to support the daily load plus 5 days missing load and we need it to gradually ramp up.

When Europe sleeps, US guys get a clearer shot followed by VK (and the few HL/JA stations) then Europe again.

Softly, softly.

1 Like

Sorry… I thought you meant it was OK to use it now. Didn’t work.

Elliott, K6EL