Database failure

In reply to M1EYP:

http://database.sota.org.uk/activatorresults.aspx
http://database.sota.org.uk/chaserresults.aspx

Those links do not work for me - I just get:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

Stewart G0LGS

Same here Stewart.

Jimmy M3EYP

Let’s keep bashing that server guys. I mean why wait for the man who knows to come and fix it when we can all poke about at random. Because all of us know more about what’s going on than the MT does- don’t we?

Andy (sent from my non - iPhone)

In reply to G0HJQ:

Hi Gary,

Last week you wrote some explanations about the problem.

The ISP decided to migrate us onto a newer (and hopfeully more
powerfull) server, but there were a few problems.
Due to the way DNS’s work it can
take 24-48 hours for changes to get propogated through the internet.

Don’t you think that now, it’s time to change the database website provider ?

73 !
Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Patience everyone!

Let the database administrator get back and have time to look at this. Anyone who has had to act as a voluntary service manager knows what sort of problems are involved in website and database hosting. It is a non-trivial job to shift a complex system to a new hosting service, and if the present one has generally been OK as Gary noted, then there would have to be a good reason to shift, given the amount of work involved.

Do remember that SOTA is a fun activity, the database etc. is provided for us all freely by some generous people, and we should be appreciative of the time and effort people have put in to set all this infrastructure up.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

The link above now loads the BBC website. I think Gary has a sense of humour!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I think Gary has a sense of humour!

He needs it!

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

Patience everyone!

Let the database administrator get back and have time to look at this.
Anyone who has had to act as a voluntary service manager knows what
sort of problems are involved in website and database hosting. It is a
non-trivial job to shift a complex system to a new hosting service,
and if the present one has generally been OK as Gary noted, then there
would have to be a good reason to shift, given the amount of work
involved.

Not necessarily. I run my own webhost, and have completed several server moves for my customers. 99% of database driven websites are extremely simple to move, consisting of moving files, exporting the database from the old server and importing to the new server, testing the new server and then changing dns to point to the new server.

At no point in time should the site have been moved over to the new server fully until it was proven that it works internally to the webhost!!

I’ve done complete server moves, website moves and control panel moves (which are quite complex) and non of the individual sites took longer than an hour to rectify any problems, and a couple of hours at most for DNS to replicate. Most site migrations should be done within minutes, and its the hosts job to make sure the site is working on the new server.

Leigh - M6LDJ

In reply to M6LDJ:

Yes, fine - from the point of view of the service provider. I agree we should expect better from service providers - but unfortunately don’t always get it.

I was talking of the volunteer who has to cope with what the service provider throws at him or her - and do the best he or she can given the limited time available. If there’s plenty time available to find a new hosting service and shift everything somewhere new, fine - but my experience as such a volunteer is that such time and effort is precious and the least worst option often has to be chosen.

Whatever, we should still be appreciative of the work done by volunteers (and I am not one of these) to keep the SOTA infrastructure in place.

John GM8OTI

In reply to M6LDJ:

I’ve done complete server moves

Perhaps you’d like to provide some hosting that copes with the demands the SOTA database makes at such a cost that the hundreds of people who use this database day in and day out DON’T have to put their hands into their pocket to pay for it.

As none of us pay, I personally feel we have little to complain about.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
As none of us pay, I personally feel we have little to complain about.Hi Andy In a nutshell.Atb Geoff.

In reply to GM8OTI:

Dear John,

Anyone who has had to act as a voluntary service manager knows what sort of problems are involved in website and database hosting.

I did’nt speak about volunteers, but only about providers who are not able to do their job.
I know that Gary is doing his best, but as Leigh said, to move a website should not exceed 24 hours.

Do remember that SOTA is a fun activity, the database etc. is provided for us all freely by some generous people,

May be it is time to pay ? every database user could send one pound a year for this service .
The french SOTA website is not free and we found a generous sponsor (UFT), so when a problem arises, we can require a good service from the provider.

and we should be appreciative of the time and effort people have put in to >set all this infrastructure up.

We do

Alain F6ENO

I think the problem is we keep coming back to this thread to see if there is any news. Once here we just want some one to moan at. We know it is not the MTs fault, but the fact that we cannot vent our annoyance at the person responsible for the cock-up just makes it more frustrating.

As none of us pay, I personally feel we have little to complain about.

Come on Andy we are radio amateurs! We all want something for nothing and we love complaining, it is nothing personal.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to F6ENO:
Maybe it is time to pay, or perhaps a paypal donate button so people have the option to contribute towards the running costs of the website. I personally would quite happily donate something. The funds could pay for not only hosting the site.

Another thought from the weekend, I was at the GMDX convention on Saturday with talks from many DXpeditions, do SOTA members do anything like this or plan to have any social gatherings. It could be an interesting idea!

Adrian
2m0etr

In reply to 2M0ETR:

Looks like it is already possible to contribute: “All certificates and trophies are provided on a not-for-profit basis by the SOTA Management Team. Any surplus used as a contribution towards SOTA’s running costs.”

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

I was at the GMDX convention on Saturday with talks from many DXpeditions, do SOTA members do anything like this or plan to have any social gatherings

The Blackpool (Norbreck) rally is the main social gathering of the year for SOTA. I understand there will also be a stand at the Irvine rally. In addition to those, SOTA is presented at several other rallies, while club talks about SOTA are available from myself and Marc G0AZS, and others in other areas too, subject to availability. These presenters also present talks in the lecture streams at rallies and conventions. If something is required or desired for any particular event, just let us know and we’ll try to arrange something - and somebody to suit.

Regarding funding, so far the programme has been financed mainly by sales of trophies, awards and T-shirts etc, with occasional support by MT members themselves. I guess we would prefer to keep it that way, and wait for Gary to put the resources back on track for us. It’s all worked well for a good number of years, I’m sure it can put in another long shift for us once this isolated hiccup is solved.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Off topic.
Yesterday, F0FNC was on the SOTA stand in Ond’expo, a rather famous hamvention in Lyon.
Thanks and congratulations Laurent !

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to M1EYP:

The Blackpool (Norbreck) rally is the main social gathering of the
year for SOTA. I understand there will also be a stand at the Irvine
rally.

Tom M1EYP

Tom, Not sure if you remember me from Norbreck, but i’m the one who is recently licensed that was the first to sign your guestbook (I was part of the Warrington ARC group).

As far as hosting goes, I would be happy to donate resources to host the site, but didn’t want to ‘pimp myself out’ as such for fear of people thinking that I was advertising.

If any of the powers that be want to have a chat, then they are welcome to email me at m6ldj@jepson.co.uk or ljepson@me.com - i’ve intentionally not put my business address on here!

Leigh - M6LDJ

In reply to GW7AAV:

In reply to G4MD:

Would love to peruse the calls in those logs.

Hi Steve

Good to work you over the weekend. Sorry about the delayed reply, just catching up.

All the old stuff is “archived” in my mother’s loft at present - I’ll dig it out next time I’m up there if it’s not buried too deep!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to M6LDJ:
Dear Letgh,

Your offer to help out or give assistance sound very generous to me, thank you. Though, sofar nobody reacted nor gives us some indication about the problems at hand. I would greatly appreciate, having the database available again, my activator-backlog is getting longer, and so does the infos for the chasers. However, I trust, the logfiles are not lost and the system will be activ soon.

Hope to meet you one of these days on 20m/ssb

vy 73 de Edwin hb9zap