Database changes

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy, some of the shaded buttons (logon, continue, show) respond to an enter/return command but not all. Is that something easily fixed?
Elliott, K6EL

In reply to KD9KC & K6EL:

Google was my fried, setting the focus was easy so I can select some sensible defaults etc. now.

These fixes/improvements will roll out with the general updates.

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

There is a TSV bug in V2 files which someone mailed me. But I cannot
find the mail. That is something that needs fixing 1st should anyone
have spotted it.

Perhaps this was me. I reported the following in June:

1. All characters within the comment field are converted to upper case. Is it possible to have upper/lower case unchanged?

2. Tabs (ASCII 9) even within parentheses will result in an error. So this line does not work (TAB is ASCII 9):
    V2 DB7MM 24.05.2013 16:22 7.152 MHz SSB DF2GN/P DM/BW-519 ā€œ7.152 MHz_TAB_49_TAB_59ā€
    This line is fine:
    V2 DB7MM 24.05.2013 16:22 7.152 MHz SSB DF2GN/P DM/BW-519 ā€œ7.152 MHz,49,59ā€
    The old import routine converted tabs within the comment to commas.

Btw: Great work on the Mountain Hunter statistics and the rest of the improvements. Your work is appreciated.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

1 Like

In reply to HL5ZBA:

I also suggested in a direct email that the S2S list could include a
column with the calculation of the line-of-sight distance between the
two summit points.

In the meantime the SOTA mapping project might be very helpful to you.
The range page tools provides a nice dialog for the measurement of the distance between two summits. Here you can choose between 4 different calculation methods. In addition the map shows a nice visual representation of the calculated path.

73 Stephan, DM1LE

1 Like

In reply to DB7MM:

That sounds familiar Micheal. The upper case/lower case is fixed already.

I can have a look at the TSV issues over the weekend sometime.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy, one very, very small suggestion - in the My Statistics panel, can you change ā€œTotal summits activatedā€ to read ā€œTotal summit activationsā€. It is a very small change but I think it better states the point. The following ā€œUnique Summits activatedā€ of course shows the total number of SUMMITS activated.

73 Ed.

A well observed point Ed. A tiny change yes, but I think your wording is more accurate to what is being shown. Weā€™ll see what we can do!

Tom M1EYP

1 Like

In reply to M1EYP:

So a few tweaks moreā€¦

1. SOTA Complete should give a better display. Shows the summits order via earliest completion date and shows this date as well. This was made easier due to some SQL inputs from Martyn M1MAJ and Markus HB8BRJ.

2. Chaser log view should now sort on date and time not just date. Selecting Dec-Jan should show the newest log entry at the top.

3. Find summit has the cursor starting in the text entry field.

4. Logon has the cursor starting in the text entry field.

5. I set a button or two as active when you hit return. I donā€™t know if I like this. You, the user can see if you can find them and see if they are an improvement.

6. You can now embed tabs in a comment field in a CSV file once more. This should work like the old code used to work but I have some reservations due to limited testing. You cannot have tabs in a comment if you used commas to separate the fields and I think this was so with the old code.

7. Iā€™ve played with the formatting in some places so columns are centre aligned. Again Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s better or not. So you, the user, can see if you spot them and like them.

Iā€™m sorry I forgot Edā€™s text change. That will roll out next update. Quite a few changes are changes to the ASPX (read HTML) pages, theyā€™re not really code changes and are very quick to do. The changes to select an input box are code changes but are a one line fix and are easy to do.

As usual, Iā€™m happy to discuss these changes and wishes here in this thread especially if something is broken that was working since this update. If you donā€™t like the style changes then post here, we can chew the fat about them. As with the menu change, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m happy with some but letā€™s see what others think.

Unlike the last update, Iā€™m having a very nice glass of Grenache Noir right now, whilst the dinner cooks which I prepared whilst thinking about SQL changes. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

Iā€™m having a very nice glass of Grenache Noir
right now, whilst the dinner cooks
Andy
MM0FMF
Donā€™t have too many - I guess an early start tomorrow morning - may see you and of course Mike.
73 Jim G0CQK

1 Like

In reply to G0CQK:

People will think I have a booze issue. My local supermarket had numerous spirits on offer so I have started the Christmas stocking-up and itā€™s only October. But hey Blavod and Cointreau at 2/3rds price was too good to pass by. Together with pineapple or orange juice and a dry champagne they make a fairly splendid cocktail that makes you feel relaxed yet still capable of intellectual conversation. At the same time it removes all control of your limbs and promotes intense amnesia the morning after but no hangover.

Yes, I will be at Galashiels tomorrow sporting my new SOTA cap.

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

Simply COMPLETE as far as Iā€™m concerned - thank you very much Andy!

Phil

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

1. SOTA Complete should give a better display.
    Very neat.
  1. Chaser log view should now sort on date and time not just date.
    This takes away a constant source of confusion for me.
  1. Iā€™ve played with the formatting in some places so columns are
    centre aligned. Again Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s better or not. So you, the
    user, can see if you spot them and like them.

Concerning the center aligned data in user statistics. I preferred the left aligned version: Despite different length of association and region names their codes were aligned on the left hand side. Now they are jumping around and I need a closer look to get them.

As with the menu change, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m
happy with some but letā€™s see what others think.
I like the ā€œMy resultsā€ subdivision, gives some structure.

Perhaps you can consider another idea. In the awards page the number of associations for mountain explorer/hunter could be displayed above/below the list. Just for the lazy users wondering whether the number of associations or the number of continents is limiting.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:
Short Wave Listeners logging section, Andy? These tweaks are splendid but the SWLā€™s have nothing on the database at all.
David RS202410

1 Like

In reply to DB7MM:

I preferred the left aligned version: Despite different length of association and region names their codes were aligned on the left hand side. Now they are jumping around and I need a closer look to get them.

Yes, I think thatā€™s what I disliked most. Iā€™ll have another tweak and try to see if I can the tables consistent: summit names, callsigns, associations left justified and numerics centre justified. You know where to look then without visually fishing about the screen.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

---- Mountain Hunter Award (all bands): associations not yet qualifying ----

Simply inspired! It will have me scouring the alerts for potential additions to the Award. Not as though I am a Chaser, you understandā€¦

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M0YDH:

The SWL updates are moving up the list David. Iā€™m aware why they are needed.

The recent database updates have come out of some internal refactoring of the existing code to make it simpler and more consistent throughout. Some of my additions and changes from when I took over are quite rough but functional as they were produced when I was very green to ASP.NET etc.

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like

Another new entry to the SWL table received today - by post!

You will be amazed, David, when we do get this sorted out, how many new SOTA SWLs are now participating!

Thanks for your patience.

Tom G-20843

1 Like

In reply to M1EYP:

The SWL code update grinds away here, nothing public yet.

However, as a wee bonus, the Summit To Summit Log now shows the distance between summits. Calculation is done in double precision maths (source data on single precision) and truncated to int not rounded. The display is in km. If you want miles you will have to wait till we support locales.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

And the winner so far with the longest S2S Iā€™ve seen is PA0SKP

09/Mar/2013,08:12,DL/PA0SKP/P,VK5CZ/P,VK5/SE-017,DM/RP-064,14MHz,CW,15676

15676km!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Interesting addition, thanks Andy.

Ian mm0gyx