Database access

Pls help me with work on www.sotadata.org.uk. I cann’t open any menue on this side. Normaly when I put the cursor on one of the menue in the headline, a submenue will open. In my case, nothing is happen. My browser is SeaMonkey. Internet-Explorer works well but I don’t like this one.
Hopefully somebody can give me a hint to solve this.

73 Alfred DJ0GM

In reply to DJ0GM:
Alfred, can you access the database by clicking on the heading at the top of the SOTAwatch2 page? Can you log in or doesn’t that menu drop down?

It all works normally here on IE and Firefox.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to DJ0GM:

Hi Alfred

On the browsers I use (also not IE) it works fine for me, with the drop down menus all opening as I hover the mouse over the item, using Firefox or Opera on Ubuntu Linux, and Google Chrome or Safari on a Mac. So if the drop down menus are not doing what they should, it looks like a browser problem. Maybe there are some settings in SeaMonkey you need to check? I’m not very familiar with it, I only looked at it once.

John GM8OTI

In reply to DJ0GM:

I have used Seamonkey/Debian Lenny on my Asus eeePC701 with the database in the past.

Do you have Noscript running? If so, make sure you allow scripts from www.sotawatch.org.uk and www.sotadata.org.uk to execute.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to DJ0GM:

I can confirm that. Also Konquerer and the Android Browser doesn’t work on that page. The pull-down menue don’t work. Firefox (Linux) is okay.

73, Mario

In reply to all:

BTW I forgott to mention, before the ISP change, everything did what it should with SeaMonkey and Windows XP.

73 Alfred

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,
yes, I can open the database from SOTAwatch2. But then the drop down menu in the database-window doesn’t work.

73, Alfred

GA all,
If it’s of any use, the drop down menus work OK with me. I’m using IE 6 !

Regards Jeff G4ELZ

In reply to G4ELZ:

I’m using IE 6 !

I’ve been in touch with Antiques Roadshow Jeff. Give them your address as they’d like to feature you on a program about Edwardian Computing!

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,
Oh! I don’t mind at all, I’m a bit of an antigue myself HI… HI…
I still use MS DOS and old logging programmes. They are reliable and almost never require ‘REBOOTING’ So no time wasting and I just get on with Ham Radio. Don’t get me wrong, modern computer systems are essential to our ham needs.

Cheers Jeff G4ELZ

In reply to G4ELZ:

Might be time to get a slightly more secure browser Jeff. No problems with using MS-DOS though as I still use it from time to time to program some rigs which need real DOS not Windows’ DOS shell.

In reply to DJ0GM :

I just tried on of our VMs running RHEL5. I used Konquerer and couldn’t get the dropdown menus to appear on www.sotadata.org.uk

I didn’t try all the options to see if it would work. It works on Firefox on Linux and Windows. Have you tried playing with the user agent string ?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF and DJ0GM:

OK, this one had me hooked!

I installed Seamonkey 2.0.4 on my Ubuntu Linux system.

Tried the database, and indeed the drop down menus don’t appear.

Installed User Agent Switcher

(do it from within Seamonkey as it likes to do the install itself).

This adds options to the “Tools” menu in the browser, which enables you to select, for example, IE7 as the User Agent, rather than the “default user agent”. I did find the menu arrangement a bit peculiar, but it works.

There’s a “test user agent switcher” option so you can check it has done what you think.

The drop down menus then work fine in Seamonkey.

Note it still displays stuff as Seamonkey would, but it pretends to the server that you are using IE7 or whatever, so the scripting is allowed. Wild!

I still prefer Firefox …

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

So it was the user agent string. Sometimes being right feels so good.

It’s a shame it doesn’t happen to me more often! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

So it was the user agent string. Sometimes being right feels so good.

I can touch the smugness oozing off the screen … :wink:

John GM8OTI

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4ELZ:

I’m using IE 6 !

I’ve been in touch with Antiques Roadshow Jeff. Give them your address
as they’d like to feature you on a program about Edwardian Computing!

We have IE6 on the PCs in work. It seriously gets my goat with every other website having a big splash or pop-up saying “Your browser is out of date!”. I am waiting for the men in white coats to take me away as I scream “Yes, I know and if you had not put this stupid message up I could have seen the content on your web page”. I don’t know how anyone can live with that at home. Fortunately we have been told we are going to up grade soon to… Wait for it!, XP. Great a multi-national company up-grades its operating system to one that is already obsolete. Duh!

Steve GW7AAV

PS Loads of websites don’t work right under IE6 now either it is a pain.

In reply to DJ0GM:

Hopefully somebody can give me a hint to solve this.

To change (part) of the UserAgent string in Seamonkey:

• Open SeaMonkey in the usual way.
  • In the URL bar, type “about:config” and press return (works in most Mozilla browsers)
  • If prompted, click “I’ll be careful, I promise!”
  • Scroll down to the Preference named “general.useragent.extra.seamonkey”
  • Double click it and change it to whatever you want the User Agent String to be,
    e.g. I changed mine from “Seamonkey/2.0.4” to “Firefox/2.0.4”
  • To reset it or any other value to its default, right click and choose “reset”

Alternatively, if you’re feeling really adventurous, you can create a new Preference called “general.useragent.override” and put absolutely anything you want in it.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave.

In reply to Dave and all:

Thank you to everybody for your hints. I used Dave’s poitn-to-point tips - and now I get the drop-down menus. THANK YOU Dave! I have to learn something about user-agent.
One further question to Dave, a little OT but perhaps interesting for somebody else: Dave, I think you use SeaMonkey V 2.0.4. I tried to up-date to this version and can only use it with one user-account. If I start it from a second account the program truncated. With my old version 1.1.8, there is now probleme to use SeaMonkey from two different accounts. Do you have any idea to solve this?

73 Alfred

In reply to DJ0GM:

Dave, I think you use SeaMonkey V 2.0.4.

Yes I do.

I tried to
up-date to this version and can only use it with one user-account. If
I start it from a second account the program truncated. With my old
version 1.1.8, there is now probleme to use SeaMonkey from two
different accounts. Do you have any idea to solve this?

Seamonkey version 1.x and 2.x are rather different code bases from each other and I suspect there are some incompatibilities if you still have both versions installed.

Version 1.x was basically patched and bugfixed version of the old Mozilla Application Suite which traces its roots back to Netscape Communicator. Version 2 is aligned with the newer Mozilla “bits” and the browser element is based on Firefox 3.5.x.

Although this is speculation, my suggested starting point would be:

• backup your profiles, see: Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
  • Uninstall Seamonkey 2.x and Seamonkey 1.x
  • Reboot (just because this is Windows)
  • Install Seamonkey 2.x only
  • If the account profiles aren’t automatically re-imported when you restart Seamonkey, restore from your backup

If you need more assistance, I’ll try and assist off list. Drop me an e-mail to: davet (at) g7skr. com

Regards,
Dave.

In reply to G7SKR:

Thank you Dave and I’ll contact you off list.

73 Alfred