Data Challenges

Started doing some thinking about the data challenge. For the day job I end up lugging around a couple of Windows laptops, and the thought of dragging them to the top of a hill does not fill me with much enthisiam, and I have a sneaky suspicion my employer might not see the funny side…
All of the older devices have naff batteries, and would probably need reimaging to run anything. So I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi and a cheap Audui to USB adapter attached via the data cable on the 817. As for getting to see what was happening ( I know FT8 is automated but it would be nice to see what QSO’s I was having on the summit ) I was wondering about a remote desktop connection to my phone. That involves adding a simpe wireless network… Am I barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to lubricate my thinking with a malt? And finally with the digital voice modes is there a relativly cheap way of doing it? The home QTH is worse than hopeless for VHF so it would just be for SOTA…
Thanks
Paul
Thanks

Very doable, and has been done: http://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/06/09/raspberry-pi-powered-yaesu-ft-891-wsjt-x-ft8/ (probably elsewhere too)

Note you may find a VNC connection on your phone a little small and fidgety; the tablet approach certainly gives you more real estate to poke at.

1 Like

Not sooooo simple. I have wrote how I did it:

Since then I removed the powerbank and put in a DC/DC 12V–>5V 3A converter to power the pi with my LiPo 3S which I use for the 817, too. Furthermore I will not take that bulky z817 to a summit again. I rather work (almost) resonant.

Also not sure if you already saw the other topic where I posted screenshots of my mobile phone: FT8 SOTA Day - Sunday 5th January 2020 - #39 by DK9JC

1 Like

Thanks!!!

( My phone is huge so hopefully with a separate keyboard it might work!!)

All sounds complicated. I just use a 10” Windows 10 Acer tablet. Cheap, robust, light, reliable. No need for a keyboard as the tablet’s virtual keyboard is perfectly sufficient for updating the callsign and locator fields, and editing the macros.

Andy
Do you watch this video ?

73 Éric

For SOTA I wouldn’t say it was completely automated, you do need to interact with your screen to send the summit reference for each QSO etc. I picked up a Linx 8" Windows 8 tablet for £43 on Ebay that I have been using. I find the screen size just about manageable. I also just bought a Microsoft Surface 2 10" tablet for £60 on Ebay so will give that try when I get chance.

Paul.

2 Likes

SOTA FT8 operation is not completely automated. That’s a myth. There are operator interactions in each QSO just as there are with traditional modes. It’s certainly different - but it still requires a human to operate it and make it work (and comply with SOTA rules).

… Sorry a bit tongue in cheek! I can imagine that the first time I set it up it will be anything but automatic!!!
( PS Thaks for the QSO from Kinder - I managed to install the software and connect up between your spot and our QSO…)

Thanks for all the tips!

Paul

1 Like