Czech Republic

I think that agrees with your suggestion that 70-80% would be deleted… I make it 81% will be deleted.

Still 61 new summits to activate. Whilst there will be fewer opportunities to rack up large scores per day, the Czech Republic was such a nice place to visit, beautiful countryside, excellent beer and really nice people, that even with the reduced number of summits, it’s still somewhere that I consider worth making an effort to visit. I just need someone to get a viable vaccine developed for those of us who are in the higher risk groups. Till then I’m stuck in the UK.

You should remember that the OK association was started up in 2007 when there was just a single summits manager unlike the small team now and the software and available data sources were much more limited than they are now. Computer processing resource/capacity was way short of what it is now. The summits manager of the day relied very much on the input from the association manager and there had to be quite a degree of trust in what was submitted or the new associations would never have got off the ground.

Major revisions such as we have been seeing such as DM, IT and now OK, with possibly SV and HA in the future reflect the shortfall in resources and capacity in the past. That is not a bad thing since to have aimed for a perfect summit evaluation before would have dramatically slowed the development of SOTA.

We have what we have and it is as good as it is and no doubt it will improve.
Jim

2 Likes

1-aug is when it’s definite to be available because there is no such list yet.

I am not taking any chance :sweat_smile:

Untitled

1 Like

High time :heart_eyes:

Get them while you can… A long day then Romain - maybe you go by bike?

Good luck on Wednesday OM!

73 de Phil G4OBK

It’s a good thing SOTA is not a competition.

3 Likes

Thanks! I am not too much of an MTB person :slight_smile: The hike is about 32kms (and an incredible 900m cumulative elevation gain from where I plan to park!) so so well within my physical abilities. Of course the mutliple activations will make it more demanding… I wonder how far I will go and I am keen to find out. I hope to work you from those summits Phil!

1 Like

OK Romain

I have been there and done those summits. I stayed at Masaryk’s Chata:

For an average activator on foot without transport support, I would say there is two days needed, however your very early start will help. It is a significant distance and time on foot from KR-064 to KR-008, and you may need to walk back to your start point at the finish I believe near Serlich, that is many Kms! I guess you may run out of time somewhere around KR-070, but I hope you finish them all in the day! Good luck.

73 Phil

Does this mean that the change will be a big bang on the 1st August or is there going to be a grace period to still activate summits to be deleted?

Big bang Marek.

Looks like I’d better get my skates on. In truth, I’ve only activated 1 OK summit so far on this trip. I was in DM all day today, moving south tomorrow for a big push on Thursday and Friday, but it looks like I’m going to miss out on a few. Still, lovely place to visit and not very expensive. Czech beer is the best in the world in my opinion, especially the dark lagers.
73 de DL/OE6FEG/P
Matt

1 Like

Changed the family plans to give farewell to my next door SOTA. Still here. Not too good conds on 20m.

3 Likes

If it is not a competition, why do we have all the rankings on the web?

Perhaps reading the fine print on the data base header helps? :wink:

Reading some posts in this thread makes me sad: The same envy as against DM some years ago. Activators arguing about how easy points can be gained in some association and that activators of some association are leading the rolls of honor.
We all (should) know SOTA is not a level playground and associations are not comparable. So why all this envy and resentment?
The OK summits are open for all activators - why not just enjoy these scenic summits and have fun?

By the way: The association HB(9) has 1331 summits on an area of 41285 km². Resulting in a summit density of 31 km² / summit. Currently OK has 951 summits on 78866 km², resulting in 83 km² / summit. With the update it will drop to 229 summits, equalling 344 km² / summit.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

12 Likes

And England is 748 km² / summit :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Steve, you are lucky in England! Due to the change from P100 to P150 DM has dropped from 372 km² / summit to 841 km² / summit.
I could never imagine, England (not talking about Wales 131 km² / summit or Scotland 65 km² / summit) is a more mountainous country than Germany. :flushed:

Regardless of these numbers I am sorry for the Czechs loosing 76% of their summits.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

3 Likes

We need to get one thing straight before this thread loses its way. The reason that the MT changes the summit lists of Associations is not to “level the playing field”, or make it easier or harder to score points, or particularly not to annoy people. The summit lists are changed so that to the best of our knowledge they conform to our rules. If the prominence is too low then the summits are removed. If a previously excluded summit is redetermined and found to have sufficient prominence then it will be added to the summit list. It is as simple as that. As the old saying has it, without fear or favour. The attention of the MT summits team will now turn to other problematic Associations as and when the work of establishing new Associations permits.

3 Likes

I stopped drinking in January this year, so I cannot cry into my Czech beer due to the decimation of the Czech Association…

Goodnight

Phil G4OBK

I can play this game.

ZL3 is 39 km² / summit but on the other hand 90% of them will never be activated.

Mark ZL3AB

1 Like

Never is a long, long time!