Czech Republic - part 2

Tahiti and Easter Island would be nice; they link up well with New Caledonia and Japan if you’re going round the world.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

With all due respect and without being snarky: An Orwellian Approach to the SOTA spirit?

Karel

This was discussed by the MT. It would appear to be simple to increase the upper band limit for 8 points thus increasing the currently 9% of 8 point summits and decreasing the number of 10 point summits, but it led to some problems with managing the database, so to save work and also in sympathy in not imposing a double hit on the OK Association it was left as it is.

1 Like

Ooooh does this mean we are due for a re-banding in G?
Currently, 10 pointers 3 … 1.7%.
1 pointers 97 … 55.4%

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Nice try Steve! No, as I said above, messing with long established points bandings causes database headaches, so we would rather that the effort went into things like increasing the coverage of South America, and sorting out problem Associations.

It would be nice…but no, why make more work when you are already very busy?

Was asking for a friend.

2 Likes

We have had the current points banding for the England (G) Association since SOTA started 18 years ago Steve. I am very happy with the current point banding for this association and I feel that it would be too late to change this now.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

2 Likes

Trains running all over the country Richard - small and slow railcars which get there eventually. Travelled from Jicin to Trosky Castle to activate there on the train in 2016. The summit is still in the new 228 list! They never had a Dr Beeching in Czech Republic / Czechoslovakia. Look at map showing rail lines - they are everywhere!!

Also buses running all over the place in rural areas unlike in parts of England / UK. Although the service running along the Polish / Czech border just east of the Eagle Mountain ridge is not much use to activators now - only one summit OK/KR-008 remains there now!

73 Phil G4OBK / OK8CDX

73 Phil

1 Like

HI Simon

I think there may be more, although not as many as before! See my reply to Richard regarding OK/LI-049.

Also having read Brians message regarding the OK situation I want to make it clear that I never complained about the easiness of the Czech Association either as a chaser or activator - I simply enjoyed working the guys in OK and operating there.

The revision had to happen sometime and I bear no grudge against the MT for finally doing it.

73 Phil G4OBK / OK8CDX

1 Like

I had no intention to imply otherwise. The complaints that I remember came from members of adjacent Associations, but I have no intention of saying more.

1 Like

Nor should anyone else!

73 Victor GI4ONL / OK8VM

Do we have the same rules for all participants or not ? I know summits in ON, OZ and PA, which are all no P-150 conform. Why only hard rules for some countries and for others not ???

1 Like

We have the same rules for all. P150 unless the summit density is below a fixed threshold in which case P100 is used.

The rules apply to all associations. As have been written so many, many times, some associations were produced before the map data and tools we use now were available. The accuracy of these association is being reviewed. Many European associations have been reviewed including HB9, DM, OK, I, OE, PA, LA (I may have forgotten some). Still to be reviewed are SV, HA, OM, DL (maybe more, I don’t remember) The problem is map data/LIDAR etc. and if that is not easily available then the review progress will be very slow.

I suggest reading the rules before assuming the rules don’t cover this situation.

2 Likes

Please read - carefully - rule 3.6.1.1 and 3.6.1.6, which explains all this.

The rules are available on line, before asking questions of the MT or other sotari on the reflector you should read these rules.

I thought OM was set up as an accurate P150 association using LIDAR data Andy, but I could be wrong. However I am wondering if OH needs to be reviewed as well as that changed quite a few years ago from a P150 association to a P100 association, but unsure if that is due to having the density below the fixed threshold meaning that it qualifies as a P100 association anyway.

Jimmy M0HGY

What is the system accuracy and reliability (WGS-84) of your method being used to make the P150 evaluation?

Karel

Who are you asking?

Good enough to delete P30 summits in OK.

1 Like