CW QRS training TX 5345,8 - who is this?

Hello everyone. Whilst scanning around the 5 MHz band, last night, I came across a CW transmission sending random groups of words in French and English at about 13-15 WPM on 5345,8 kHz. I started listening at around 21:25 UTC and stayed on frequency for almost an hour, decoding the many words sent, but never heard an ID or call sign.

It sounds like a training transmission and since there were some amateur SSB comms on a nearby frequency, I guess this must be some kind of channel scheme outside the proposed IARU 1 60m band.

I find this form of CW training quite interesting. Does anyone know who is responsible and what the schedule might be? The French vocabulary (neige, montagne, lune, chaise) might be a clueā€¦

Happy New Year 2024 to all

Paulo CT2IWW

2 Likes

The UK has channels outside the WRC15 allocation but they Do NOT include 5345.8kHz see:
https://rsgb.org/main/operating/band-plans/hf/5mhz/

1 Like

How does its content compare with the output on 3.881 MHz? Thatā€™s rather faster, and is, I gather, from a French (presumably military) sourceā€¦

On the few occasions I listened to this station it sends 5-character groups of random letters, random numbers or punctuation.

I found this on the Internet:
REF (French national radiocommunication agency) provides a service FAV22 transmitting in cw at various speed, texts in french (useful for those interesting in learning this language !) and random 5 characters-words.
The transceiver (1kW) is located at about 80 km from Paris transmitting twice a day except on Saturdays and days off simultaneously on these two frequencies 6.825 MHz and 3.881 MHz.

Schedule during the week : 1000-1030 UTC & 1545-1615 UTC Monday 7 wpm, Tuesday 10 wpm, Wednesday 12 wpm, Thursday 14 wpm, Friday 15 wpm
*Schedule and speed on Sunday : 0800-0830 UTC at 7 wpm, 0920-0940 UTC at 10 wpm, 0940-0955 UTC at 20 wpm. *
Information kindly provided by Phil F8AWA

Itā€™s nice to know that some professionals still think Morse training is important.

5 Likes

Someone seems to think itā€™s the M23 number station, because of the speed M23 ā€ŗ Priyom.org

5345 is listed as a frequency that ā€œM23ā€ has been heard on but some time ago:
https://priyom.org/number-stations/morse/m23/schedule
73 Ed.

DonĀ“t think it was like the usual numbers stations like FAV22, M23 and so on, since it was a very slowly paced transmission, with actual words, not groups of letters and numbers.

It looped random combinations of words like: book, montagne, voiture, chien, poisson, snow, air, flower, fleur and so on. Clearly intended as a learning aid, very easy to copy, started to decode some of them in my head, it was a good exercise.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out tonight for more transmissions, if they happen again.

Paulo CT2IWW

And it is on, at 20:00 UTC.

Iā€™m getting it here as well (2020 UTC), but what is interesting there is a ā€œdub dub dubā€ sound behind it - I wonder if that is a data transmission and the morse over the top is just to mask it?

73 Ed.

Also a good signal here in Northern England. Canā€™t hear anything in the background though.

1 Like

At 20:30 rxā€™ing ā€œchien apple maison car can ā€¦ā€ at about 12wpm. And repeating the same words a bit later. This sounds like CW training to me.

Thatā€™s what they want you to think.

You old cynic. Ah yes, so the words are really triggers to ā€˜sleeperā€™ field agents like the BBC did in WWII to the French Resistance for D-Day.

ā€œBlessent mon coeur / dā€™une langueur / monotoneā€
ā€œWound my heart with a monotonous languorā€

1 Like

Try running it through wot three words?

You might find the sleeper cell!

2 Likes

Knowing W3W the words will be homonyms giving multiple different locations.

2 Likes

The folks at the utility SWL group UDXF are also reporting this station since October and is a mystery for them, as well. Usually, they are the quite well-informed on this kind of stuff. So, not going to bother more with this, just gonna enjoy the ride and learn some new words, every evening.

Happy New Year 2024 and see yĀ“all on 10 meters!

Paulo CT2IWW

2 Likes