CW on BBC Radio 4

On tonight’s PM on Radio 4 Morse Code was featured with an interview with Howard Bernstein from the Long Island CW Club. He mentions parks and mountains. I don’t know if this available outside the UK but it starts at 51:42. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001h638

13 Likes

Available in Germany.
Thank you!

Ingo

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, Richard,
Works out here in the colonies!

Best, Ken

2 Likes

There was an article in The Times this morning about CW. It may not be visible as it is behind a paywall but essentially it covered similar ground to the recent Smithsonian article including mentioning SOTA.

1 Like

I thought BBC radio was probably available everywhere but TV definitely isn’t.

Thanks to my wife for hearing it on the way home from work.

2 Likes

I heard the teaser on my way home from work but after a 10.5 hour shift today, I didn’t stick around to listen! I made a note to listen via BBC Sounds.

73, Colin

Yeah, but did anyone notice the mistake? I didn’t (24 wpm too fast for me) but was driving to FARS with Nigel M5TUE last night when listening to the radio - he picked up on it straight away. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

He sends GOD AFTERNOON I think in the 24 wpm bit and when he slows it down sends GOONE instead of GOOD by introducing a space in the last character. But then in CW you send FER for FOR so I am not sure spelling needs to be accurate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

He got it right second time though, a bit like me sending the summit reference on a S2S.

Graeme

3 Likes

I noticed the mistake but it’s probably because he was used to sending ‘Good Afternoon’. Usually you’d just send ‘GA’!

I find it amusing that it’s being portrayed that Morse totally died away and now it has been rediscovered! Morse never went away and it’s still in use by other radio services judging by the 5 letter groups I hear on short wave sometimes!

73, Colin

3 Likes

Best headline: “Putting the Digit Back in Digital Communications”

2 Likes