CUWS trip to the Lakes

Hi all,

With the weather hopefully getting warmer, a few members of the Cambridge University Wireless Society are heading up into the Lake District this weekend for a bit of hill climbing fun. We haven’t decided on exact summits yet, but we’ll probably try for one or two on the Saturday, and one on Sunday morning.

There’s a group of six of us: Martin G3ZAY, Phil M0DEG, Christian M0SCH, Tom M0TOC, myself M0VFC and Christian M/DD2YCS.

Weather permitting we’re hoping to operate two HF bands (probably 80m and 40m) simultaneously as well as 2m for some FM contacts (and maybe a little SSB, again weather and conditions permitting).

Obviously getting six people all qualified on the same summit isn’t quite such a given as one or two, so please bear with us if we make some rapid operator changes. I expect it’ll be a case of getting everyone their four QSOs first, but if there’s still chasers to be heard, we’ll certainly try not to disappear!

Many thanks in advance, and hope to catch some of you on the bands…

Rob, M0VFC

In reply to M0VFC:
Hi Rob.I will also be in LD land next week.So hoping for a s2s with you.The plan is for Baystones on Saturday mid day but sneaking off to the Blackpool Rally on Sunday. ATB Geoff G6MZX

In reply to M0VFC:
Good news Rob. HF from Lakeland will be very welcome. I recommend alerting also on the Wainwright’s on the Air page http://www.wota.org.uk/ as this has a dedicated following of super chasers. A rucsac antenna for 2m is handy for 1 or more contacts on any Wainwright [non-SOTA] summit that you walk over on your way.

I’ve decided to miss the Blackpool Rally and do my duty instead - take my sons to rugby training so they can be selected for the cup tournaments that take place in May. I hope everyone has a super time at the rally.

David 2E0DAI

Hi all,

Thanks very much all for the contacts today. We ended up activating Red Screes and Stony Cove Pike, having parked at the Kirkstone Pass car park.

Couldn’t have asked for better weather - glorious sunshine all day, which made the summits very pleasant indeed.

In both cases we started on HF QRP using an FT-817, then moved to an FT-857 later on when we needed more contacts than 5W would easily allow - this worked particularly well on 80m on the second summit.

Anyway, thanks to all those who worked us, especially those who worked more than one of us.

We’re hoping to do another summit tomorrow morning / early afternoon, but haven’t yet decided where. One to talk about over breakfast…

Rob, M0VFC

If you’re in that part of the LD, then surely it has to be Baystones, before it gets deleted from the scheme.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I’m afraid it turned out to be Blencathra in the end, but it was another fantastic day today - once again, many thanks to all those who worked us!

Back home in Cambridgeshire now, and still need to unpack everything, but here’s a few photos: 2010-04-11 - CUWS SOTA Trip to G/LD | Flickr

Rob, M0VFC