Cute Roadside Signs (Part 1)

That looks serious! Things seem to be a little more permissive in southern England, however, where even the road-names might lead one to suppose that “taking a leak” could be considered acceptable:

However, the police take a very dim view of public urination!

Mind you, just a couple of miles down the road from there is this little stand-out curiosity carved into the hillside:

For some reason, some people like to get rather too close to the big fellow, so there’s this sign to help discourage that:

cerne_abbas_sign

It’s easy to get to, though, with helpful signs to guide one along the way:

5 Likes

11 Likes

sign-not-in-use

18 Likes

I must admit it took me a long while before I realized what had happened to the winter conditions signs! :slight_smile:

Hi Christophe,
I suspect someone has photoshopped this picture, changing “Chains” to “Brains” and then rewriting the bottom sign.

Actually, that road looks to be in the same state as the main road here is, now that it’s been cleared.

Brains are really needed around Southern Bavaria when driving at the moment.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Don’t enter the herd there is a bull - injury danger :exclamation:

2 Likes

These cattle look like immigrants. :scotland:🐂

4 Likes

Beware! Falling rocks…

7 Likes

Furouzan (JA/KN-015) means “Ageless summit”

Even thousands of hikes to Furozan never lead you to immortality.
but just 10 times of hikes make you healthy and out of diabetes and obesity.

Toru K JA1CTV

6 Likes

Hi Andrew,

We have similar collection on way to SP/SZ-012 :wink:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

Thanks Jarek

That is amazing, two collections of shoes out in the wilderness on opposite sides of the earth :wink:

Cheers

Andrew

2 Likes

Back in the 1970’s there was a cairn of assorted footwear at the brief levelling of the Ben Nevis (GM/WS-001) Tourist Route before the zig-zags, I estimated about 50 including some stylish high heeled ladies shoes. Are they still there as an awful warning or have they been tidied away?

Sign seen at the start of the Takatoriyama JA/HG-252 walk.
Watch out for wild boars…!

4 Likes

Up in NE Sotland (GM/ES-081 Knockan NE of Aberlour) you are in the land of poetry (perhaps ‘recitation’ would be a more accruate description!)

This all a very bright idea but disappointment awaits you:

A complete absence of 'flicky sticks’1 when we visited int may this year - but quite a lot of dogs in the windfarm. Although it was drizzly, it was fairly mild so the adjacent notice was not blue with cold:

Perhaps Faser MM0EFI can private a colder picture but it is a very flat and lowly hill so may still be on his ‘to do on the way to/from a meeting on a very, very wet day…’ list.

BTW Belated congratulantions to Jimmy (then MM3EYP/P) who claimed his first ‘first activation’ badge on this hill on 2 August 2009, It was then a heathery wilderness and finding the few stones which mark the top is still a challenge despite the encircling windfarm roads. You did not have to travel so far to make this claim in ‘them there dark days’ GW4BML! - especially if you were very early on the trail like Tom M1EYP who first footed the “three Craven Arms summits” in 2003!! Ours were more of an effort (M0JLA a NI island and M6BWA a GM/SI on North Harris).

73 Viki

4 Likes

There is one near GW/MW-013 https://maps.app.goo.gl/qxei1oUTmTZvrxZ39

I think they’re known as trees of lost soles?

2 Likes

There are some flashing warning lights on G/SP-010 to warn of ice falling from the guys on the radio tower, but I’ve never seen them lit.
I’ve been up there when it’s been cold, but maybe not cold enough for ice to form on the cables.

Oh that’s a good one!

The dead tree is filling up, loads of space on the power pole though :blush:

Cheers

Andrew

1 Like

Why dead tree? … this is a shoe tree just before harvest time… Or… where do you get your shoes?

73 Armin

3 Likes

It was a cold November afternoon when I did that one. Part of my “Mopping up the Stragglers” tour. One of the last GM/ES summits I needed to complete the list of 88.

Screenshot_20221212-161405_Chrome

No snow, and not a memorable hill but a memorable 10m QSO to the USA, with 5w into my EFHW.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at Cute Roadside Signs (Part 2).