Could 22 be considered a report??

During the hard QSO with IT9 / DF1AKR / P on I/SI-098, I sent a 22 report, but someone told me that 22 was not a possible right report.
which reports are allowed?
I attachement you find the video of df1akr signal and then of sp9amh signal: for me the first was a 22 and the second a 42. do you agree??

please note that the audio is compromised by noise reduction performed by smartphone during recording.
Thanks at all

1 Like

I seem to recall that for some awards there used to be a minimum acceptable report. Lot’s of people these days don’t seem to fully understand the RST system though.

3 Likes

Hi Roberto,
I fully agree with your signal reports.

I agree, Richard. I often find people sending a 51 or 52 while asking for repeats because they are strugglying to understand the message. That can never be a readability 5 = VERY GOOD!

When we struggle to understand a message completely, readability falls to 3, 2 or 1, but never a 5 = VERY GOOD, not even a 4 = GOOD.

Cheers,

Guru

6 Likes

And there I was thinking SOTA was loads of fun

1 Like

I don’t see there being any problem with a 22 report. It’s just going to take some effort to ensure calls and reports are exchanged reliably.

The most important thing to note is there is nowhere on the database where you are required to enter RST values for the exchange. Therefore there is no way for the database to tell you your RST value is not acceptable.

Of course anyone offering a “there’s nothing on the meter so I’ll give you 5 and 0” deserves to be laughed off the air.

8 Likes

I agree with you, Roberto

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.

hamradioword and sota is always full of fun and ferment!!

1 Like

A 2-2 report I would deem to be acceptable. A 5-1 report not. Sometimes given by radio hams who are slaves to the inaccurate S meters on our transceivers

RST Code
R5 = Perfectly readable
S1 = Faint signals barely perceptable.

A 5 and 1 report is ridiculous in my opinion!

73 Phil

5 Likes

When I’m filling my log in I always use the time it says on my computer which is BST I guess not UTC, so does this mean then that my log entries are not valid ? When I started a year ago an old Sota friend said it didn’t matter, but does it…Please

1 Like

Yes. Logging is always UTC. Just as SOTAwatch spots and alerts are UTC.

1 Like

Hi Allen, you should be using UTC time. Hope you are keeping well. 73 de Geoff vk3s

1 Like

ok Andy thanks for that…so I had better rip up my award certificate and erase my log then and I was so close to becoming a shack sloth…oh well never mind

1 Like

Hi Geoff mate am getting there methinks slowly hope you are good
Best 73

1 Like

I would say that depends on the mode.
On SSB I tend to agree with you Phil.
On 2m FM I had plenty of QSO with no S meter reading at all but flawless audio.

4 Likes

What you do is you start doing it properly from this moment onwards. When you next claim an award you tell Barry you have entered QSOs before 17-aug-2020 in local time not UTC.

1 Like

OK Joe. Yes for contacts like that on VHF FM I would normally give 54 if the clairty was there, no need to ask for a repeat, even though the S meter was reading zero.

73 Phil

1 Like

Yes I hear you Andy but what’s the point, all that hard work gone to waste, and trust me it has been hard work. what bugs me is one of your top chasers told me it didn’t matter, which is a sickner for had I known then I would have done it right. No Probs will sell my radios etc as Sota was all I used them for.

Best 73

1 Like

Allen, you made the contact. Don’t agonise over a time error, you are in the other station’s log, too.

2 Likes

A proportionate response is always what everyone likes to see.

They way you are talking I expected to see tens of thousands of QSO spread over the last decade not 68 QSOs since the last start of DST in the UK amounting to somewhere around 301 pts.

2 Likes

Allen, I’ll correct the times in your log for you later. It will take me 5 minutes. Or you could do it yourself in 15 I would estimate.

1 Like