Congratulations to Paul G4MD

Many congratulations Paul on ??? on Carnedd Wen GW/MW-012 on Sunday. An excellent achievement which indeed just may be a first. No doubt the statisticians will advise on that in due course - when they’ve worked out what ??? is.

Many thanks for being the very best companion that I could possibly wish for over the 123 activations that we have carried out together.

73, Gerald

I was thinking it might be the first completion of Wales with a 100% uniques record - but he would have been three short of that (two now he’s done Yr Eifl). Similarly with a completion of MW - but still that nemesis of Upper Park is outstanding.

So more fine achievements are just around the corner, but what is this one? I then thought it was the highest number of uniques reached on a 100% uniques record, but Norby LX1NO’s 315 will have to be passed first.

So perhaps it is something that can be manipulated through the database filters for year/band/mode?

Oh well, coffee break over, I give up.

Tom M1EYP

Hi Gerald,

I think you are congratulating Paul G4MD for over taking you in the activation table.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to G4OIG:

Many thanks for the kind words Gerald!

Far from a unique achievement, except under a very tightly constrained set of conditions, but a very significant personal milestone nevertheless, and one I would never have reached without your valued collaboration and support.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to M1EYP:

You are almost there Tom. Having done some database trawling I see that someone in the DM association bettered Paul’s achievement in 2006. I think that Paul’s efforts have been immense this year… and of course he has had me holding him back on the majority of the ascents!

As far as Wales is concerned, Paul has to complete 4 summits, that nemesis you mention being the major thorn in the side. We are currently looking at how best to activate the remaining 3 which happen to be clustered around Snowdon so making multiple summit activations that more difficult.

Paul passed my uniques total some time back Jimmy. Paul had a very active holiday in Skye while I lazed my time away in Kefalonia trying to make contact with the locals both on the radio and in the tavernas. Not that I regret one second of it!

73, Gerald

P.S. Is there a Christmas Quiz this year… and if so am I banned from entering?

In reply to G4OIG:

I’ve told you a hundred times not to exaggerate Gerald! :slight_smile:

Well done Paul.

Andy
MM0FMF

Number of unique summits in a single calendar year?

All association annual “bests” for this are as follows:

2002 - M1EYO - 68
2003 - M1EYO - 131
2004 - GM7PKT - 122
2005 - DH3ZK - 166
2006 - G7KXV - 181
2007 - DG0JMB - 178
2008 - DG0OCZ - 301
2009 - OK1UBM - 117 (so far)

So, it must be greatest number of unique summits in a calendar year without repeating any for zero points! (That’s alarmingly contrived Gerald!). In which case the figures are:

2002 - G3CWI - 39
2003 - MW0YLS - 73
2004 - GM7PKT - 122
2005 - DH3ZK - 166
2006 - DH0DK - 131
2007 - G3RMD - 128
2008 - LX1NO - 200
2009 - G4MD - 100 (so far)

So there we have it! Paul leads the way on uniques that are unique in 2009, and has passed into three figures.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

So, it must be greatest number of unique summits in a calendar year
without repeating any for zero points! (That’s alarmingly contrived
Gerald!).

Andy saw the simplicity in my “quiz” - it is the number of uniques activated in a calendar year with none of those summits having been activated previously by the activator. Paul has reached 100 Uniques in 2009, none of which have been activated in a previous year since he has a 100% uniques record. That means preparing and planning for 100 summits that are entirely new to him which I think takes commitment since he does not have a previous activation to refer back to.

Since Norby blotted his copybook in Norway, Paul has the highest number of totally unique summits across all associations, all dates, all bands and all modes. I can advise that INKy’s uniques total remains the target, hence my suggestion in another post that he enjoys the free beer and bingo in Scotland in February!

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Still 100 hundred uniques in a year is rather impressive. Much like the snow currently falling. It took me 2.5 years to do 100 uniques! I suppose the obvious difference is that as you two have so far to travel you’re fiscally better off by going out less frequently but blagging a great big bunch of summits whereas I can go for a bimble most weekends. Still it’s getting harder to find uniques nearby for me that aren’t monsters or enormous treks.

Woohoo… the snow is really heavy now. I’m off tomorrow and going somewhere. If the roads are OK it’ll be Ben Chonzie again as it’s a safe Munro to do in the Winter with my level of skill. If the the roads are OK that is…

Andy
MM0FMF

Congratulations Paul on a great achievement !

Thanks for the Chaser Points you have given all of us - I’m very pleased to have worked you on many of your Activations

Here’s to many more in 2010 and maybe the next 100 for you !

73 Graham G3OHC

I really think Paul should start revisiting all his previous uniques with his licensed daughter. It’s the least he can do, really… :wink:

So my ‘contrived’ guess was right, but in fact Paul does hold the slightly less contrived position of World Most Uniques on a 100% record.

Anyway, I’m at the other end. Probably got some of the best points and uniques totals going for anyone with less than 30% uniques! At least I can claim to have made 1783 QSOs (so far) for my one point on SP-015 this year. Not even Kjell LA1KHA’s 712 QSOs from LA/TM-049 can beat that hi!

When you finish England and Wales, will you revisit any then? Mind you, a solution will have to be found for “The Nemesis” even for that to happen. It is probably the nearest summit to me that I haven’t activated.

Seasons greetings,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The three day trip to Porthmadog went well and may be the template for activations in the longer term. We have some wilder ideas for longer escapades, but they may not come to fruition. It will be the GM/SS summits that get a bashing once we have reduced our “wants” list to “The Nemesis” and, of course Swinside, another sticking point. I just hope the boredom of the M6 doesn’t win the day…

Winter bonus greetings!

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I just hope the boredom of the M6 doesn’t win the day.

There are a number of things to do and see on the way up to the promised land:

1. LD-052
  2. See 2nd tallest mast in the UK (that doesn’t officially exist) at Skelton.
  3. See all the other wonderous masts and things at Skelton
  4. See the masts at Inskip complete with anti-fading sections. (Home of RAF VOLMET)
  5. Tebay Services & Farm shop
  6. The Caldbeck mast (3rd biggest in UK?)
  7. The NATO Submarine comms station at Anthorn, home of MSF Rugby :wink:

Best of all, I’ve yet to get bored driving up to these places and I’ve seen them so many times now!

Andy
MM0FMF

Congratulations Paul on your achieviement.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

We activated LD-052 in October and I have seen most of the other spectacles as I used to live in Lancaster in the 70’s. Anyway Andy, we’ll not be taking any distractions on board - you’re getting as bad as that EYP man, trying to put Paul and myself off our target. Someone would think you were all in league with INKy!

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Congratulations to Paul on his fine achievement, & thanks again to both Paul & Gerald for all the nice QSO’s we have had. Especially the QSO I had with Paul on GW/NW-022 Moel Eilio on Saturday morning which put me through the 1000 chaser points barrier :slight_smile:

I’ve got a day off today (Friday 18th) so I will listen out for you on NW-017 later Gerald :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G4OIG:

The capacity hat and the insulator on the “secret” 1200ft mast at Skelton is something to be seen. Anyone with a topband interest will find themselves drawn to its irresistible pull!

There’s also Lambrigg Fell and Grayrigg Forest to do on the way up and down the M6 never mind the one of the loveliest hills in the England, Cold Fell NP-020.

I’m just about to dig out the cars and see if Ben Cleuch is a possible. I’d really like something more exotic for a day off in December but it’s probably wise to give the roads a couple of days to recover before venturing up some the narrower/steeper back roads. I may have RT4WD but I haven’t got snow tyres!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I may have RT4WD but I haven’t got snow tyres!

I took the Quattro today “in case”. It snowed again in Northampton and the XYL had to take the bus to work. Wack wack ooops!

See you managed to get out. Wot, no 2m SSB?

73, Gerald

Many thanks to all for the encouraging comments. And very many thanks to the dedicated band of chasers that makes it possible and so worthwhile. And so addictive!

Not sure whether I’ll get out again this year, but a busy year is planned for 2010. With only 7 summits to activate at less than 200km as the crow flies from the home QTH, equalling this year’s total will be a tall order!

And finally another big Thank You to Gerald, who has put up with my grumpiness, self-obsession and general arsiness all year without a word of complaint, and has kept coming back for more! A true Gentleman of SOTA, and a better friend than I deserve.

Merry Christmas to all, and here’s to another hundred uniques!

73 de Paul G4MD