Confirmation (QSLing) with SOTA contacts

S5/KS-010 ?

Just had a QSO with S51JS on 28.495MHz. Then checked SOTA WATCH and the posting shows S56CW/P was on KS010 at this time. Jaka had been there earlier on 14.285MHz. The propagation came and went as 'E’s do on 10mts so how do I get confirmation with the SOTA system? Is there a log of expeditions showing times? Or must I QSL direct?

Damian M0BKV

Thay are probably together Damian,this happens often on eu.You can check their log on sota to see if you are in the log.

In reply to G0RQL:

Am I being thick, but how you check an activator’s log?

73 Tony G8BVJ

It’s a bit convoluted, and trickier with the more prolific activators, but:

• Go to the Database.
  • Find the Activator (the appropriate Roll of Honour list is a good place to look).
  • Click on their “View log” link.
  • Click on the “Show All QSOs” link on their log page.
  • Find the appropriate activation and check the QSOs they logged for it.

That last list can be a bit of a monster if you’re checking one of the more prolific activators, though. Your browser’s search option might be helpful.

…and don’t forget to give activators a while to get their logs in; if they’re away for a month walking through the wilderness it might be a while before they get their QSOs up-loaded. :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to G8BVJ:

In the database, Tony: log in > view results > Activator Roll of Honour > select activator and click on view log > click on show all QSOs.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0LEP:

Hi Rick, Thanks for your help. However, I must be doing something wrong.

• Go to the Database. OKAY
  • Find the Activator (the appropriate Roll of Honour list is a good place to look). OKAY
  • Click on their “View log” link. OKAY
  • Click on the “Show All QSOs” link on their log page. CAN’T SEE THIS ANYWHERE. IS IT ONLY AVAILABLE TO ACTIVATORS? THE ONLY LINK ON THE PAGE IS TO “SHOW AWARDS” AND “SHOW ALL RESULTS” - “NO SHOW ALL QSOs”
  • Find the appropriate activation and check the QSOs they logged for it. NO PROBLEM IF I COULD SEE THE DETAILED LOG.

73 Tony G8BVJ

In reply to M0LEP:

Hi Rick, Thanks for your help. However, I must be doing something wrong.

• Go to the Database. OKAY
  • Find the Activator (the appropriate Roll of Honour list is a good place to look). OKAY
  • Click on their “View log” link. OKAY
  • Click on the “Show All QSOs” link on their log page. CAN’T SEE THIS ANYWHERE. IS IT ONLY AVAILABLE TO ACTIVATORS? THE ONLY LINK ON THE PAGE IS TO “SHOW AWARDS” AND “SHOW ALL RESULTS” - “NO SHOW ALL QSOs”
  • Find the appropriate activation and check the QSOs they logged for it. NO PROBLEM IF I COULD SEE THE DETAILED LOG.

73 Tony G8BVJ

In reply to G8BVJ:

You need to be logged in to the database to see the “Show all QSO’s” link.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G8BVJ:

If I remember correctly “Show all QSOs” is in blue at the top of the table and only appears if you are logged in.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8BVJ:

Just to prove I am thick. I was trying without being logged in. When I logged in I forgot to refresh the results page. The link now shows.

Thank you both for your help.

73 Tony G8BVJ

Sorry for leaving out that step… I’ve been caught by it, too…

Just got back from the doggy walk so looks like all sorted,Damian and Tony,Now you can check everyones contacts?? 73 Don.

Thanks, Rick, Don, Tony, Mark and all for the great advice. All understood and tried. Obviously have to wait for the log of interest but invaluable help for the future.

Damian M0BKV

In reply to G8BVJ:
Tongue in cheek i must become a radio ham, sorry im already one,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to G8BVJ:

I’m trying to understand why you needed to refresh the results after logging in. They should have been redrawn correctly when you revisited the results page.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,
As your browser records all pages visited, it often calls up the old version of a page. Hence the need to refresh the page after you have logged in. This also sometimes happens when you log a new chaser contact and then look at your chaser results as well. The page does not always refresh automatically.

However, if you go (in Internet Explorer) to Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History and click on the Check for newer versions of stored pages - “Every time I visit the webpage” button, this should not happen.

Thanks for all the hard work that you carry out on the database for all of us.

73 Tony, G8BVJ

In reply to G8BVJ:
Getting stale pages from cache seems to be very much an IE only issue. Opera always checks for a newer version of pages - and in any case I don’t have my cache set to 20% of my hard drive or whatever IE defaults to. These days a 20Mb cache is perfectly adequate and nothing stays in cache after a day or so with normal browsing activity.

73 Dave G3YMC

Ah it will be an IE issue then. I don’t use it myself on my home PC at all. I have to use it at work as we have some internal web pages that only work with IE.

As the database webpages are written using ASP.NET I take the view that if something so intensely Microsoft specific works with Firefox on my PC then it must work with everything Microsoft produce! I’ll do a bit of testing with IE on my work laptop from now on when I update things.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy, I wouldn’t worry too much about IE. Once you have set IE up to auto refresh there is no problem. The SOTAwatch 2 site updates quite happily and the problems I was having with the database have also disappeared.

Thanks again for your professional and helpful responses to the problems that we pose from time to time.

73 Tony, G8BVJ

PS. There is nice feature on 404 - File Not Found which aurally alerts you when there is a new spot. Would it be possible to add this feature to the SOTAwatch site?