Collins Filter

My old FT-857 went on the blink and is badly in need of a trip to the rig doctor. My best guess would be, the filters are shot.

So, I purchased another 857 with the Collins SSB filter installed. IMHO, the Collins filter is a serious bit of kit and although fairly expensive at aroung 100 quid, it’s a game changer and I’m totally sold on it.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

So, I purchased another 857 with the Collins SSB filter installed.
IMHO, the Collins filter is a serious bit of kit and although fairly
expensive at aroung 100 quid, it’s a game changer and I’m totally sold
on it.

Agreed … and the same can be said of the Collins CW Filter. I fitted one to my FT817ND and another to my FT857. The improvement in CW performance is dramatic! Absolutely essential for SOTA pile-ups and well worth the additional cost.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Agreed … and the same can be said of the Collins CW Filter. I
fitted one to my FT817ND and another to my FT857. The improvement in
CW performance is dramatic! Absolutely essential for SOTA pile-ups
and well worth the additional cost.

Walt (G3NYY)

I got the Yaesu branded 300Hz CW filter for my early FT817 last year, it’s made an amazing difference. There was opinion amongst some people I asked before purchase that the 300Hz filter might be too narrow, but I have to say I’m very happy with the way it sounds.

BTW, thanks for the S2S Walt, I was a little nervous calling you at QRQ, but I think I stumbled through it OK! I was hunting for a frequency to call CQ myself when you bet me to it.

73, Colin, M1BUU

In reply to M1BUU:

Agreed, the 300hz filter is definitely NOT too narrow. I measured it to be more like 400hz if I recall.

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

I’ve got an Inrad branded 300Hz in my 817D and a Yaesu branded 500Hz in my 817. The Inrad is “better” than the Yaesu 300Hz, I think either the skirts are tighter or there’s better passband ripple, can’t remember. I’ve never thought it too tight in use but I’m not an expert. In comparison, the 500Hz Yaesu seems very wide. In use they sound very different in a way that’s hard to describe.

All I can say is that people who can handle CW pileups without a filter have my admiration as I find it hard enough with a filter!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I have a Collins 300Hz (from W4RT) in my 817 and a Yaesu 500Hz in the 857.
Think I prefer the 300Hz , but don’t regret buying the 500Hz either.

The W4RT unit was a lot cheaper, and flew under the radar (No Vat) into the UK… via normal post. :slight_smile:

Yes … anyone handling pileups without a CW filter had my admiration too…

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to G0PEB:

I opted for the 500 Hz filter for both my transceivers (FT817 and FT857). I generally find this is narrow enough. However, if I need narrower, I can use the DSP audio filter in the FT857 on top of the Collins filter to go down as narrow as 60 Hz if desired.

The DSP filter on its own is not satisfactory on CW, because strong adjacent signals will still depress the AGC. These signals are removed by the Collins filter.

This topic has already been discussed in another thread, “FT-857D CW Question”, about 2 years ago.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M1BUU:

BTW, thanks for the S2S Walt, I was a little nervous calling you at
QRQ, but I think I stumbled through it OK! I was hunting for a
frequency to call CQ myself when you bet me to it.

Thanks a lot for the S2S, Colin. Your CW was just fine! Please call any time you hear me.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to N1EU:

I’ve got an Inrad branded 300Hz in my 817D

I bought the Inrad 2.0kHz ssb filter - personal import and got done for tax :-((

The intention was to stop strong adjacent signals from blocking the AGC but I am not sure that it works. Needs better testing so I must have a go at 40m on a weekend again.

Rod

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike, is that Collins filter the same as the YF-122S filter covered in the handbook? The SSB filter has gone in my 857, I’ve been thinking of replacing it with the YF-122S in the hope of an improvement in the skirt selectivity, but meanwhile depending on my TS-520S at home as its more fun!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

Without opening the rig, I can’t say what filter it is for certain, however, the vendor assured me it was fitted with a Collins filter. Well worth the expense of replacing it, you will not be disappointed.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

My understanding is that the Yaesu branded filters are made by Collins, however they are made to Yaesu specifications.

The Collins branded filters are reputed to have sharper skirts and different pass band ripple characteristics.

Inrad filters are different again.

I bought my filter secondhand, the price of new ones whether or not they get in under the radar scares me a little!

73, Colin M1BUU

In reply to M1BUU:

All the filters are made by Collins. Inrad and Yaesu just stick their own label on the top and mount them on a PCB.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
The Inrad one claims a different spec from the Collins one;is this spurious?
Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

Read the name of the manufacturer.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yes, Collins. I notice, though, that whilst the Yaesu badged SSB filter is the 2.3 kHz one, Inrad also do a 2.0 kHz one which is just that little bit tighter. $140 though, that probably translates to £140+!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I find it rather concerning that both Mike and Brian report filter failures in their radios.

Apart from the lousy ceramic jobbies that are well known to fail (when the rig manufacturer knows better than the filter maker how to use them - are you reading this Mr Kenwood?), I have not seen any general evidence of crystal filters failing in normal use so would suggest you both have another look before either junking the rig or fitting another filter.

Fitting a different filter because it has a better specification/performance seems eminently sensible but plugging a replacement filter in because the original has apparently failed sounds like folly to me until you have established why the filter failed.

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

In reply to G8ADD:

I find it rather concerning that both Mike and Brian report filter
failures in their radios.

Apart from the lousy ceramic jobbies that are well known to fail (when
the rig manufacturer knows better than the filter maker how to use
them - are you reading this Mr Kenwood?), I have not seen any general
evidence of crystal filters failing in normal use so would suggest you
both have another look before either junking the rig or fitting
another filter.

Fitting a different filter because it has a better
specification/performance seems eminently sensible but plugging a
replacement filter in because the original has apparently failed
sounds like folly to me until you have established why the filter
failed.

Barry GM4TOE

Yes, I suppose I am making an assumption from the symptoms! I am told that I am transmitting DSB on SSB, if I tune in an SSB signal on either USB or LSB, changing to the opposite sideband makes no difference to the readability of the signal. The performance is normal on FM and AM (not that I do much AM!) so it seems to be something in just the SSB circuitry. A fault in the filter seemed to me to be the most likely cause but I suppose it could be something more subtle involving the mixer - I don’t know, I go cross-eyed when trying to follow the circuit diagram! Any suggestions, Barry?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I go cross-eyed when trying to follow the circuit diagram!

New glasses?

The generation of either sideband on radios with just one sideband filter is achieved by shifting the carrier insertion oscillator to an appropriate frequency on the relevant skirt of the filter. To achieve DSB the filter would have to be completely shot (effectively a short circuit)especially as the actual sidebands would be inverted when you switch from USB to LSB (and the accuracy of the two carrier alignment frequencies will not be perfect) so you “should” hear a difference even if it is DSB.

Is the sideband filter being switched into circuit?
Could it be AM (kind of)with reduced carrier?

A quick look on an oscilloscope at the transmitted signal with a single tone input can tell you a lot and point to whatever is happening.

Then again, perhaps the crystal filter is a gonner!! Once again, the crystal ball cloudeth over and the spirits vanish into vapour…

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hello Mike,
I’m using an FT-857d with the 1.8 kHz INRAD filter for SSB.
Very expensive for that small pice of hardware but it often makes the difference.

73 Juergen OE4JHW