Cloud SP-015 Very Quick Report

Thursdays activation SP-015 was very uneventful, even struggling on 2m, managing just 16 contacts.

QSY’d to 15m where Wednesdays lift seemed to have evaporated :frowning:

Nice to work Alan G0JNJ/M and Simon M0TGT (his first 15m contact) both from the Macclesfield Radio Club as well Bob G6ODU and Steve G1INK who was monster signal from Buxton.

On the DX front, a nice contact with SOTA activator WA2USA who noticed my spot from his home qth and was delighted to bag The Cloud for his SOTA log.

Contacts with Jordan, Bosnia, Cyprus and half a dozen more European countries. Also, quite an uncommon call logged from 5Q, Zealand, I think. Finally, VU2XO in Mumbai, who just calls himself Patel, probably the most difficult contact I’ve ever made on a SOTA activation. This poor man worked his socks off to get me into his log! It must have been a full three minutes before he finally grasped my call and said …is that M6MMM/P? If only all radio hams demonstrated the patience of this gentleman.

Thanks to all the chasers…

No SOTA this weekend, been roped into doing Railways on the Air from the club…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Not sure if it was this activation or one a day or so previous, but to see you spotted on 15m by WA2USA did make me smile during a “fresh air” break at work.

I wouldn’t dream of taking an Antron 99 up a hill, especially to work on 15m, but it certainly seems to work well for you :slight_smile:

Well done, & best of luck with the CW :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Not sure if it was this activation or one a day or so previous, but to
see you spotted on 15m by WA2USA did make me smile during a
“fresh air” break at work.

Yeah, it was this activation. Very nice man, said he was planning on an activation later.

I wouldn’t dream of taking an Antron 99 up a hill, especially to work
on 15m, but it certainly seems to work well for you :slight_smile:

Even the mighty Antron struggled to perform its sorcery today, Mark.

I found out, I’m working 40m and 80m for the Railways on the Air weekend. Quite frankly, I’ve almost lost the will to live :frowning:

Well done, & best of luck with the CW :slight_smile:

Cheers mate…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

how much power do you use on 15m?

Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:
He usually uses anything between 600W and 1Kw - but that depends on which hill he’s on as he likes to use the car battery! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to M0GIA:
He usually uses anything between 600W and 1Kw - but that depends on
which hill he’s on as he likes to use the car battery! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I thought that I was a joker, but you two take the biscuit! Keep making us laugh :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M0GIA:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

how much power do you use on 15m?

It’s a trade off really, Sean. Using M6MMM/P restricts me to 10w. Having said this, when the 15m band is in good shape it’s easily workable with virtually no power. I was receiving 5/8 reports from JA using 5w and 5/9+ using 10w on GW/NW-070 Grt Orme, a couple of weeks ago. Undoubtedly, JA would have been workable with 1w but rather annoyingly, the 857 won’t work below 5w.

If I need more power, I can always revert back to 2E0YYY, however, as you know, running up to 50w soon murders even a 20Ah a SLAB.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to M0GIA:
He usually uses anything between 600W and 1Kw - but that depends on
which hill he’s on as he likes to use the car battery! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oi, what happened to you last night?

As a punishment, I’ve allocated you the top band slot, for the Railways on the Air weekend :wink:

73 Mickey
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Oh great!

I’ll find my pipe and slippers then.

Some of us have to work you know, but you enjoy playing with Thomas the Tank Engine.
What time does it all kick off then?
Perhaps I could call in on my way to work (the wrong way) and you’d make me a brew? (Now that would be a first!)

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Oh great!

I’ll find my pipe and slippers then.

There’s just no pleasing some people.

Some of us have to work you know,

FYI, I’ve been slaving over a hot rig on G/SP-015 Gun, all afternoon!

but you enjoy playing with Thomas
the Tank Engine.
What time does it all kick off then?
Perhaps I could call in on my way to work (the wrong way) and you’d
make me a brew? (Now that would be a first!)

Whinge whinge whinge…

73 Mickey
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
:slight_smile: