Christmas Quiz 2011 spoilers

For Stu LGS and anyone else needing a helping hand…

Factorise each number ‘block’ in the cyphertext into a product of its prime factors. Then convert each prime back to a letter of the alphabet. (The code uses the first 26 prime numbers).

Tom M(I)1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Can we have that in English, please, Tom? :wink:

HC

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Oh heck; another product of a disfunctional education. It just shows how much standards have improved since the 50s/60s. Interestingly I note that this very code appears in a book “suitable for age 10+”.

Richard
G3CWI

(cooking Christmas lunch)

PS the code is fully revealed in my post: Post by G3CWI on 20th December 2011 at 08:39

Well I’ve now done all but one and I cannot find anything in the summit list that matches that one (unless Excel is failing me).

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Which one is a problem?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Sorted !

I did something silly !

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G3CWI:

Possibly, Richard! My lot were absolutely **** hot on trigonometry, vectors, stats and calculus but ignored other areas so Tom’s terminology is double dutch to me - though I vaguely remember seeing “factorial” on my first scientific calculator!

Just for reference, I went to a Technical School and left at fifteen as nearly all did then, we had three periods a week each of physics and chemistry, a half day each of metalwork, carpentry and engineering drawing, and I remember a glorious workshop with working examples of every type of engine one might expect to meet with from a beam engine to a small jet! A different world…

HC

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Brian

This may help:

http://www.mathplayground.com/howto_primenumbers.html

Richard
G3CWI