Cheated by /P in GMA, FF or similar non SOTA

Hi Éric,

But, perhaps those hams were activating SOTA at the same time and that was the purpose of my QSO with them. I never call a GMA or WFF activator because those are programmes I don’t work at the moment.

And that’s absolutely fine with me, as long as they don’t give all those references in the middle of the pileup to the SOTA activator who has not requested them.

Be the force with you too, Éric.

Guru

2 Likes

Hi Ed,
I think you have it correct. I’m sorry that Guru feels cheated but I think he should ask if SOTA has sole right to the /P. In VK we will call S2S in CW or “Summit to Summit” as you do. The activator will usually quickly work the S2S and then return to the parks and holiday portables if there are any. In VK every contact counts and I would record in my paper log the park or beach or HEMA summit the portable was at regardless of whether I was a participant. I wish I could be in a holiday house right now. But lockdown continues.

Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

We should always do that too here in Europe. Some operators do, but not many others, who rely solely on the /P /P /P and that’s why some of these /P take advantage and pass over the whole pileup for a non SOTA to SOTA contact.

Guru

2 Likes

I rarely post on this reflector these days, and it has been a number of years since I last activated anything (SOTA, GMA, DMF or whatever). However, I am surprised, and a little disappointed, with the strong emotions expressed by some here. My method when activating is to listen for “full calls” only, and to pick out one or two of the loudest to work after each CQ. Those sending /P, s2s, SOTA or other non-callsigns are just ignored. No doubt my system will be challenged by many on here, but it works for me.
73 de Les, G3VQO

4 Likes

And how is a potential station /p to know that a given activator participates in only one program, because a given summit often has many references to other programs? The assumption that he knows this is utopia. For many activators, this is also important and desirable information.

3 Likes

Si son /P, tienen todo el derecho a usar ese sufijo. Si escucho (como cazador) una llamada /P, dejo de llamar hasta que hayan terminado, sean SOTA o no. Lo siento Guru, tal vez la traducción esté obstaculizando ando la comprensi ón completa, pero mantengo todo lo que dije en mi último post.

I hope that said what I meant! Apologies for any errors :grin:

2 Likes

I am glad that my answer to this topic produce such response. It may clear some things in our heads.

Must see also that tone of the responses changed after my answer.

By the way, I dont work ft8. Everybody knows this, even on sota reflector. Thats all my picture states. I hope

2 Likes

Well, I think I’ve already explained well in detail my position, my feeling and I’m going to have to leave now for a series of tests (scan) and treatments at the hospital.
I’ll keep welcoming all chasers into my log with or without /P.
All I’d like to ask to those chasers making QSO with me is to please don’t give me all kind of references you may be activating if I don’t request them. Even the SOTA reference may not be always requested durng a S2S contact because, if I have cell coverage at the summit I’m activating, I use to have SW3 on my smartphone screen and I already have the SOTA references of the activators on the air at that time. This is just to save time and maximize the chances for the other chasers to quickly make the QSO, as well as to reduce the time needed by the activator to work the whole pileup.

It surely was an enjoyable discussion.

Best 73 to all,

Guru

7 Likes

Hope you will be well Guru

2 Likes

A single /P from non-SOTA stations, such as when I am operating from a holiday cottage, or the countryside (such on on the G/LD weekend) and not on a SOTA is acceptable. The sending of repeated /P/P/P or S2S when NOT on a SOTA summit I would deem unfair and trying to gain unfair advantage over ones peers and as we say in England this is (“not cricket” OM). I don’t like stations using the /QRP suffix when calling and never return the prefix in my exchange. I don’t like stations sending a partial callsign either, such as their suffix and not their prefix together. This is fairly common on phone but not CW.

Good on you for raising this Guru and clarifying further what you meant with the naughty repeated /P/P/Ps being sent to obtain unfair advantage!

73 Phil G4OBK

8 Likes

Yes , it becommes too anoying … there is no Ham Spirit, I completely agree !
73’s Jean

2 Likes

Don’t think that GMA activators have to continuously give their reference. It is similar to SOTA. Usually I post my actvations and if requested give the references. I am active in at least 4 programmes (SOTA, GMA, COTA, WWFF,…). However, WWFF boosts the number of contacts significantly. At least 50% of the contacts are WWFF. So no breath holding anymore until the 4 QSOs are reached.

Combining them can be an advantage. Although I am not tracking COTA, WWFF, etc. I’m posting the QSOs into their systems.

Live and let live… (don’t know if the translation is right) :slight_smile:

Ingo

5 Likes

Hi Guru, Your post had me recalling a brilliant day out Mo and I had on the Western Fannichs during the summer. I had pileups, S2S, the usual chasers etc, however the one memorable QSO was pulling this guy out of the noise on 40m. Andy @GM6ZAK was operating QRP on the east coast of Scotland at Tentsmuir forest near Tayport… Absolutely Brilliant!

We each have our own goals. Maybe I’m seen to be selfish at times as I plan multi-summit days which deny some Chasers the chance of a QSO due to me not working multiple bands on a Top. However, for me, the big mountain day combined with radio is the challenge I relish.

Looking forward to our next QSO :grinning:
Cheers, Fraser

5 Likes

After reading all the reviews carefully :wink: :wink:,
a conclusion came to my mind :wink::
Dear Chaser, if you are not transmitting with a power greater than 200 W, don’t call me.
It’s my person that activates the summit after driving and walking several hundred kilometers in the sun, rain, snowstorm, wind, heat and frost, distracted by beautiful views and other people and animals, so I cannot be exposed to over-focusing, catching sounds from noise, QRM, QSB, etc. I will do QSO only with stations 59 +++ or 599. I deserve respect. :rofl: :joy: :wink: :wink:

Of course it’s just a joke
Thank you very much to all stations for being in my log.

6 Likes

All these acronyms are making my head spin…would some kind soul please translate the following:-
FF
GMA
WWFF
COTA
I’m sure there’s more, but I lost track of them. 73 John.

2 Likes

Flora and Fauna
Global Mountain Award
World Wide Flora and Fauna
Castles On The Air
also
HEMA
Humps Excluding Marilyns Award

and I’m sure there are others!

Victor GI4ONL

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Victor, I knew HEMA anyway, as I dabble in it occasionally. 73 John.

1 Like

Besides castles, you can also collect lighthouses WLOTA or parks POTA … or search for islands IOTA or jamborees JOTA…

…there is something for everyone :grin:

73 Armin

3 Likes

XOTA YOTA …

2 Likes

And there is a large group of FOTA
Fools on the air

9 Likes